Upright vacuum recommendation

We still use our Shark Navigator. It's one of the Originals from the late 1990s.
Speaking of the late 1990s, the Vacuum Wars back then also featured the Oreck XL. I still have one of those also and use it for vacuuming the basement floor. My grandson freaked out when I asked him one day to change the bag in the Oreck.

His next words were.... "Upright vacuums have bags??"

I got this one for my son for Christmas and he loves it: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shark-Ro...00WM/1990854398?athbdg=L1800&adsRedirect=true

It is the same as the LA502 except it doesn't have one attachment he didn't need. Its review is very good:

This without question.
We are on our second, and they far surpassed any Hoover, Eureka, or Bissell we have ever owned.
They are durable and a great value as well.
Only problem is that Panasonic no longer markets vacuums, at least in the US.
wow.. I had no idea!! Went to panasonic's usa site and yes they're no longer available here in the US!! What the heck!? that's crazy..

wow.. I had no idea!! Went to panasonic's usa site and yes they're no longer available here in the US!! What the heck!? that's crazy..

I discovered this when I went looking recently, as Mrs. Tdbo has hinted that we should start thinking about a replacement.
There are a few canisters left on Amazon, but nothing in the way of uprights.
Probably run ours until it dies, and that will be it.
Can't seem to find much in the way of parts.

I discovered this when I went looking recently, as Mrs. Tdbo has hinted that we should start thinking about a replacement.
There are a few canisters left on Amazon, but nothing in the way of uprights.
Probably run ours until it dies, and that will be it.
Can't seem to find much in the way of parts.
I'm seeing that.. I'm going to make sure to stock up on parts!! thank you very much for mentioning that!! I really appreciate it! (y)

I have a Soniclean soft carpet series. Works fine.

We have 6 vacuums in the house, need to get rid of some. Most leftovers from our last house which was much larger that we moved from this past year.
2 Roombas, 1 hoover Windtunnel upright (my favorite of the uprights), 1 Bissell Powerlifter (wife's favorite) and 1 Kirby which was great in our old house, it stayed on the second floor which was all Carpet.
Both the Hoover and Bissell are great, I liked the Hoover because the attachments were robust. The Kirby has to go, way overkill for this house as we do not have a lot of carpet.

Enter a new vacuum just this Christmas because I help out around here a lot, im retired, wife still works. I wanted a canister because when I vacuum, that includes all the nooks and crannies, wood work, under furniture and tables. A canister power head can lay flat and do that, also the attachments are superior for cleaning. I should mention the new home has all hardwood with area rugs so even more so the canister I prefer. That canister is a Miele, the basic one since we dont need the powerhead.

With regards to Kirby bagged vacuum, my concern is I have a fluffy dog and when I vacuum 1x a week I can fill a canister vacuum several times.
That means I'd be going through bags at a pretty quick pace which would become expensive.

Also, its not in the price range that the OP is asking. Kirby starts at $1800

We've been in this house for 20 years. We started with a Eureka from our old house, then a Bissel, then a Dirt Devil. We realized that our cleaning people didn't like our vacuums and brought their own so when our vacuums broke, we threw them out and didn't buy a new one until a few years when we bought a Shark on Black Friday. It stayed in the box for 2 years until I need to use it. I think they are all junk. LOL. I'd spent about $150 and plan to replace it every few years like any other modern appliance.

About as crazy as LG leaving the Android cellphone market, after dominating it as a default phone (or as an upgrade) at phone network centers across America.
This Motorola Moto phone that became it's replacement at Cricket, contains terrible software junk in-comparison. Every time I need to find something on that Motorola, I need to travel three steps to get there, instead of one step with LG.

Just watch your step, if you're vacuuming steps with your new vacuum. Do one at a time, not three.

Last edited:
Shark Navigator. Had our current model for the past 3 years and is bombproof. It's got the roller that strips hair automatically so I'm not having to unwind another animal from it. Only "maintenance" so far is to wash the canister and rinse out the filters a few times. Use it almost everyday on all manner of surfaces. Love it so much that my son got one from the 'rents as a Christmas present when he moved out recently. It was cheap at Target and with an additional 20% off email promo, a true bargain. Get it.

Had a good run with my Hoover Windtunnel Air Steerable for about 10 years I think (or something that long). Multiple plastic handle and hoses broke and not worth fixing anymore. Shopping for a replacement and the priority is weight (prefer the lightest in the 8-10A power), ergonomic (need swivel head or ball steering), durability (something that won't get stuck with a repair waiting for parts or electronics repair kind of weird stuff), bagless preferred but bag is ok if the vacuum is excellent otherwise. I don't think battery vacuum is powerful enough or durable enough (want 10 years with this) but feel free to prove me wrong.

So far I know the same vacuum I have is discontinued, and Miele no longer make corded upright vacuum. So far based on what I see these are my options:

1) Dyson Ball 3: fashionable seems durable and good ergonomics, pricy
2) Shark Navigator / DuoClean Swivel: seems like 80% of dyson at 50% of the price, can lift away the can for stair cleaning (I have a 2/F house), some people complained you can't take it apart to replace stuff
3) Kenmore bagless upright: light weight, good review but some people comment on not durable
4) Hoover windtunnel: same brand as before, seems durable, but heavy (16 lb instead of 12-14 lb as before).

I got to admit I have a thing against dyson as the early review when they first came out was they are not durable, recently I heard they are really durable so I don't know if that's different now or not. Same concern with Kenmore.

Budget is probably $150-250 but again priority is weight and ergo. Suction prefer to be 8-10A motor but that's a compromise with weight. I prefer not to go with the super light weight one like Eureka.

No pet.
We have a Shark Duo Clean and it works great. And didn't break the bank

Surprisingly, Shark vacuums are less fragile than Dyson units at half the price. Both have excellent suction, but you are paying a premium for the style and cachet of the Sir James Dyson branding. Like most hipsters, maintaining an image costs money!

Another suggestion for Shark. The first one lasted about 15 years.
I am on the 2nd.
When the first broke down, It happened to be on sale from HD for $69.

Had various brands over the years including Kenmores, Hoovers and Dysons. Bought a Shark a few years back and it’s been the best so far.

Don't know if you have Sebo over there but this is our stand out choice. A quality German brand that is still made in Germany. Built like a tank and weighs nearly as much but seems light enough in use. They last near forever. I've used some of the expensive modern designs but they just don't work as well as a Sebo.

Whatever you choose consider a brand that also makes commercial vaccum cleaners as they tend to be functional, gimmick free and built to last.

x7_white.jpg

Back