GTX Magnatec Is Back

From Castrol's response it sounds like the change was made when Dexos1 Gen3 came out, it seems like they were coming out with GTX FS anyways so they opted not to recertify Magnatec for the newer GM spec. I've always wanted to try Castrol again but haven't since around the early-mid 2000's when I switched to M1 and then PP when it became all the rage on here, I've mostly been using Sopus ever since.

If Castrol had any marketing sense they would throw us haters a $10 rebate to try their stuff, like the better oil companies do.:ROFLMAO:
They gave us a rebate last fall, but IIRC it was only for Edge. If they plan to keep the GTX FS around, and if it as intelligent as they want us to believe, they would certainly benefit from a promo! Maybe even a 1-week BOGO walmart or amazon promo just for BITOGers???

I just saw amazon has it for about $20/jug.

Last edited:
Castrol GTX FS must not have been a good seller for Walmart, last few times I've been to their stores the oil aisle had been rearranged and now they have tons of boxed oil on the shelf. Each aisle has limited amount of space so when they added the boxes then something else had to go. You can still find the regular GTX there but even Edge is hit or miss on my area especially in 5w30.

I think that one is also slowly disappearing, it's not just one store but even online that grade isn't available which sounds like they aren't restocking. They could be getting better deals from Mobil and the others hence more profit for them, they are constantly monitoring that stuff every day. Usually the shelf space is "leased" so Mobil could be paying them for more space to put their product out.

The GTX FS was on 'CLEARANCE' at Walmart in early 2023 for either $13 or $17 for the 5qt. jug. I bought a couple in 0w20 but haven't used them yet.

In a November 2022 post*, respected former BITOGer Gokhan said this: (which turned me off the 0w20 version).

"The HTFS/VII table lists all the Castrol 0W-20 flavors. The flavors to avoid are Castrol Edge High-Mileage 0W-20 SP and Castrol GTX Full Synthetic 0W-20 SP due to a thin base oil (BO) and a high viscosity-improver (VII) content."

HTFSV: High-temperature, full-shear viscosity

It is theorized that the wear for the following engine components depends on these variables among other things: Bearings: high-temperature, high-shear (HTHS) viscosity, TBN/TAN/base-oil oxidation performance (lead and copper corrosion) Piston rings: base-oil viscosity, TBN/TAN/base-oil...

*https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...-0w-20-sp-be-the-best-0w-20-out-there.361962/

Last edited:
Current Amazon price for 5qt 0w20:

1000005067.jpg

.... if you like high VII and thin base oil.... per Gokhan, whom I also miss on this board.
But hey, perhaps the high VII is the reason for engine quietness and fighting fuel dilution, two things the Magnatec full syn was noted for.
It's the base product for Castrol, what else do you expect

.... if you like high VII and thin base oil.... per Gokhan, whom I also miss on this board.
But hey, perhaps the high VII is the reason for engine quietness and fighting fuel dilution, two things the Magnatec full syn was noted for.
I think the 'engine quietness' was an attribute of the older Magnatec (in the green jug) and not the GTX FS which replaced it ...but I could be wrong.

People buy supertech with no issues lol
I hope it continues for them. I found the Supertech Advanced 20k works well. I just don't have the guts to try it again.
Hyunkia Product four cylinder engines of 2012-2020 will tear the guts right out of you.

Last edited:
Back