So what, if anything, makes an oil “bad” for a normal 5k OCI?

I was in our local True Value hardware store recently and passed the small automotive related aisle on the way to the register. I noticed two variations of Castrol GTX and then a brand called Super S for about half the price. According to the bottle it was API SP rated so according to that, it’s certainly safe and would pass any recommendation to use for many modern cars. So assuming you’re doing a normal 5k OCI which I think many do, would that brand offer as much protection as any other?

*For the sake of discussion, leave out an abnormal engines like Hyundai Theta II or other super extreme diluters as well as high performance cars that are tracked or heavily modified

Depends, should offer as much protection as any other SP rated oil unless it just barely passes and others pass easily. But it might not offer as much protection as an oil that carries a MB, VW , ect certification if it doesn't have those approvals.

I’m not using something I have never heard of… I don’t care what rating is on the bottle.

Here's the way I see it. Guy puts a fancy API rating on a bottle 'cause he wants you to feel all warm and toasty inside. And of course you do. Why shouldn't it? Ya figure you put that little rating under your pillow at night, the API Fairy might come by and leave a quarter, am I right? The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.

Its probably fine - bottled by Warren or similar. However given that you can buy 6 quarts of M1 off amazon for $18 right now - or 5 quarts of supertech for under 20 bucks any day of the week, I am not sure why you would bother with a complete unknown?

Its probably fine - bottled by Warren or similar. However given that you can buy 6 quarts of M1 off amazon for $18 right now - or 5 quarts of supertech for under 20 bucks any day of the week, I am not sure why you would bother with a complete unknown?
Just to clarify…..I’m asking as a thought experiment of sorts; what A > B if both have the same rating, etc.

I have no intention of buying that, or any other product currently. I bought enough engine oil over the Black Friday sale weekend that I could run a quick lube shop part time. 🤣

The brands I’ve chosen mainly were influenced because I wanted a boutique “best of the best” in my personal car and for my wife’s suv that takes exactly 6.0 liters I chose a well regarded brand that sells liters vs quarts. But I know some members here theorize that all is the same if it has the same credentials no matter the brand.

While the Super S appears to be reputable, there are many companies that slap an API label on products that should never be used in a modern car. Products that absolutely do not meet the standards of the label that they falsely applied to their package.

Caveat Emptor.

I was in our local True Value hardware store recently and passed the small automotive related aisle on the way to the register. I noticed two variations of Castrol GTX and then a brand called Super S for about half the price. According to the bottle it was API SP rated so according to that, it’s certainly safe and would pass any recommendation to use for many modern cars. So assuming you’re doing a normal 5k OCI which I think many do, would that brand offer as much protection as any other?

*For the sake of discussion, leave out an abnormal engines like Hyundai Theta II or other super extreme diluters as well as high performance cars that are tracked or heavily modified
Perceived value. At 5k pcmo is all the same if you comparing api sp.

My “budget” synthetic oil is Quaker State - nothing lower in my GDI engine application where I want low NOAK to reduce engine deposits to be as low as possible . That requires an oil with higher level specs , better base stocks and with fewer VI meeting D1 / Gen 3 , VW , MB specs - so Quaker State , Valvoline and Mobil 1 are my oil choices … I can usually find one of these on sale as well at WM .

I usually buy Quaker State, but the cheap traveller oil at tractor supply is getting tempting

And you didn't buy the Super S and send in a VOA so we can all analyze and discuss the good and bad of the results?

What is wrong with you????

:unsure: ;) :ROFLMAO:

This VOA of SuperS on the PQIA site is a few years old, but it meets the stated spec.

I’m not using something I have never heard of… I don’t care what rating is on the bottle.

Here's the way I see it. Guy puts a fancy API rating on a bottle 'cause he wants you to feel all warm and toasty inside. And of course you do. Why shouldn't it? Ya figure you put that little rating under your pillow at night, the API Fairy might come by and leave a quarter, am I right? The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.

Well, well done my friend…. Outstanding in fact… In reference to Tommy Boy…

Where’s that deer who wakes up in that car with the api oil in it ??? :LOL:

I do disagree with you though on the overall premise here… Super S is a legit blended motor oil made by Smittys Supply.

Last edited:
This VOA of SuperS on the PQIA site is a few years old, but it meets the stated spec.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Is exactly right. Super S and Cam2 blended by Smittys Supply have been tested routinely by PQIA for a long time now. Those 2 oils are just fine and have their additive packages made from Afton which is located here in my home state of Virginia. In fact the additive treat rates are extremely similar between Super S and Cam2 Superpromax….

I have run Cam2 almost exclusively since 2019 in my Nissan and my Honda. I put over 100,000 miles plus in my Nissan Altima VQ with Cam2 in it.

And yes Tractor Supply house oil is made by Smittys Supply has well.

Well, well done my friend…. Outstanding in fact… In reference to Tommy Boy…

Where’s that deer who wakes up in that car with the api oil in it ??? :LOL:

I do disagree with you though on the overall premise here… Super S is a legit blended motor oil made by Smittys Supply.
I was just checking the specs on the end line for the… rotary… girder…

When K-Mart existed, they sold quite a bit of Smitty's Super S-it would be just fine for a top-off oil or a short OCI, it's not going to hurt anything it is specified for.

Back