Mobil Delvac 1 5W30 Advanced Synthetic

Mobil Delvac 1 5W30 Advanced Synthetic oil is a mixed fleet oil that can be used in both diesel and gasoline engine applications. The oil carries a dual API rating that is CK-4/SP. In terms of its gasoline engine use, is the phosphorus level of the oil governed by the SP rating, meaning phosphorus is limited to 800 ppm?

Any Xw30 oil has to follow the 800ppm limit in order to be dual rated. Xw40 is confusing I guess they can still claim SN and dual rate even if it exceeds the API-RC limit if they stick to SN or older but if they claim SP they must keep the limit to the API-RC limit, at one point the majors, Chevron, Mobil, and Shell started not exceeding the limit on dual rated 40 grades that were SN, but then Chevron released 15W40 Delo XSP which has over 1000ppm of phos but claims CK-4/SN+ so who knows.

Had no idea that existed, gotta be the first CK/SP oil I've heard of. I wonder why mobil went for SP instead of SN plus. No phos limit but there's nothing to stop them from blending an SP lspi package. Still, I'm sure it's fine with 800 phos, it's not the only thing that reduces wear. I wonder if they're using a lot more moly or even titanium to make up for the lack of phos and hths.

Mobil Delvac 1 5W30 Advanced Synthetic oil is a mixed fleet oil that can be used in both diesel and gasoline engine applications. The oil carries a dual API rating that is CK-4/SP. In terms of its gasoline engine use, is the phosphorus level of the oil governed by the SP rating, meaning phosphorus is limited to 800 ppm?
Yes, limited to the 800 PPM on the SP. If not diesel engine you could just use regular gasoline 10w-30 SP oil to get close in viscosity to the 5w-30 CK-4.

I have listed this when it was tested as an SN version but I doubt they've changed much with the add pack since it was already around 800 PPM to begin with.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/voa-diesel-oil-database.362789/
Had no idea that existed, gotta be the first CK/SP oil I've heard of. I wonder why mobil went for SP instead of SN plus. No phos limit but there's nothing to stop them from blending an SP lspi package. Still, I'm sure it's fine with 800 phos, it's not the only thing that reduces wear. I wonder if they're using a lot more moly or even titanium to make up for the lack of phos and hths.
There are starting to be more options out there but it's a snail pace. Since CK-4 is normally in the thicker viscosity grades that have the exception with 40's w/over 800 PPM Phos. allowed w/an SN rating. The SP would change that though even on the thicker oils.

Here's one of Valvoline's version of CK/SP. They also offer it in a 10w-30 CK-4/SP
https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...2d889bd1/138b6c51-a070-ea11-9c34-ac162d889bd1

Last edited:
Back