GTX Magnatec Is Back

They have given us that line since the beginning. They be may believe Edge was a better oil from their perspective but it obviously wasn’t the same.

Magnatec had a unique, almost fruity smell to it and a lot of people suspected it had some esters in it. 🤷‍♂️
Maybe 2 molecules … the only motor oil I saw oxidized in 3k

According to Castrol, both GTX FS and Edge have the intelligent molecules just like Magnatec did. Edge is their best and strongest oil. Someone on here posted the direct quote from Castrol Customer Service a while back.
What was their GPA ? Mostly female molecules ? …
I find this thread to be amazing compared to how Valvoline gets treated here …

I finally got my 99 Civic out yesterday from being parked since Dec., I put the battery charger on for a few days but then I didn't want to just idle it for a few min so I let it run for around 45 min and then took it out to top off the fuel tank and drove it for 15 miles. I didn't notice anything with the cold start whatsoever, I don't know if motor oils have gotten that much better but I remember back in the late 90's it would make noise and knock until it warmed up, dealer called it piston slap where the aluminum pistons expand when they get hot and fills the gap in the cylinders. I thought from sitting for 2 months it would at least make some noise.

I'm sold on the Magnatec and it's a shame they discontinued it. IMO they don't really have anything that's replaced it, if they would've taken those properties and added them to the GTX FS or Edge then yeah. I am willing to try the Edge, says it's rated for 10k miles and Honda calls for 7,500 mile changes which should be a breeze.

I did try Syntec in my 97 years ago around early 00's or so, it was a synthetic blend. I remember that I was trying to curb some oil consumption issues and used the VW oil which was a 5w40, this was way before any of the Euro oils that are available now.

Yes Magnatec was good stuff, and given it's adoration among piston-heads, I'm surprised they would discontinue it. Also, it easily had the coolest 5 quart bottle, with that dark green color, and fascinating atom graphic. Castrol GTX FS only comes in three grades. As if this oil is an uninspired attempt, by Castrol to put something in-between GTX Conventional and Edge. In fact, in my hot environmet, and vehicle applications, I definitely prefer 10w-30 and 10w-40.

Hence I may just stick to conventional GTX. It did well in a 90's Honda that I owned, (93 Prelude VTEC). In 5w-30 grade, my G35 with the VQ35DE burned up GTX, quite quickly. That engine is hard on oil. It also has an oil-burning issue. Stepped up to 10w-30 Chevron Supreme, and the issue got better, but still burns. Next, going to experiment with some good 10w-40's, (Chevron Supreme/Havoline, GTX, PYB, etc). Got some 10w-40 GTX for the next oil change, will see if that improves things more. Have seen good UOA's with GTX in VQ35DE's.

Edge is really good in my experience, as aforementioned. Should have done a UOA, my SUV drove very well it. Similar to Amsoil in smoothness and performance, yet much cheaper. (Still expensive though).

Last edited:
I ran the more expensive, black bottle, Castrol Edge 10w-30 on a Toyota 4runner 3RZ-FE with 290k. Did an 8k OCI with it. Very impressed with that oil. The engine ran smooth, strong, and quiet. The oil did get quite dark, pretty quickly, but nothing to get nervous about, in my view. Overall, the car seemed to "like" that oil, compared to most others.

Very interested to try the silver, Castrol GTX FS, for the next round with that engine. The Castrol Edge black was a bit pricey, imho. QSFS is cheaper at Wally World, and the car runs superb with it, as well.
My toyota liked Castrol edge as well

the old magnetec 0w20 was 3/5 grp. it had like a 2.75 hths. I used it in my old Honda Civic the 15 it was like awesome stuff I got a bunch of it and clearance from parts stores for like 55 cents a quart. looking back on their oils, they're usually on the thin side so I recommend for people to go up a grade. it's not awful but I have more faith in Exxon Mobil especially in 0w30 and the 5W30 extended product line.

I went to AutoZone and picked up 2x of their Castrol GTX FS 5w30 oil change specials. I chose the 6 qt option for $37.99, I got lucky and they knocked off $20 on the first one since I had the rewards already saved up. I didn't really need the extra quart and could've gotten it for $32.99 but my truck does take 6 qts and it's always nice to have extra on hand anyways for top-off. I plan on getting another 6 qts and also Valvoline Restore & Protect so I can have some extra of that too.

PXL_20240226_202236980.jpg

PXL_20240226_202249683.jpg

I went to AutoZone and picked up 2x of their Castrol GTX FS 5w30 oil change specials. I chose the 6 qt option for $37.99, I got lucky and they knocked off $20 on the first one since I had the rewards already saved up. I didn't really need the extra quart and could've gotten it for $32.99 but my truck does take 6 qts and it's always nice to have extra on hand anyways for top-off. I plan on getting another 6 qts and also Valvoline Restore & Protect so I can have some extra of that too.

View attachment 205517
View attachment 205519
That's a pretty good deal. What's your OCI?

That's a pretty good deal. What's your OCI?
Both my Civic's I run 7500 mile changes, in the 5.3 I try to go at least 5k.

It's decent deal especially from the parts stores that is, you're much better off buying the oil and filter from Walmart or Amazon but right now it seems to be the only way to buy this oil.

It's decent deal especially from the parts stores that is, you're much better off buying the oil and filter from Walmart or Amazon but right now it seems to be the only way to buy this oil.
I personally use Edge but if this is really the same as magnetic than why not. They don't advertise the intelligent molecules anymore though

I personally use Edge but if this is really the same as magnetic than why not. They don't advertise the intelligent molecules anymore though
The Edge is hard to find for me in 5w30, I didn't pay attention to the 1st store but the other one did not have any on the shelf, even Walmart's website doesn't show that it's in stock at any of the stores in my area and doesn't allow you to order it online either.

The website mentioned it for 0w20 and forgot to look at the bottles to see if it's there or not.

View attachment 205517
View attachment 205519

Here we have the entry level Castrol that meets Ford 961-A1 yet Pennzoil Ultra does not. 🤷‍♂️

Back to our regular scheduled programming now.

They don't advertise the intelligent molecules anymore though

They spent too much time on social media and got stupid. Much like the advertising campaign itself was in the first place. Hard to believe you can actually go down from “Think with your dipstick!”

Here we have the entry level Castrol that meets Ford 961-A1 yet Pennzoil Ultra does not. 🤷‍♂️

Back to our regular scheduled programming now.
How stringent are the Ford specs? The only one that I'm maintaining is my dad's 06 F150 4wd w/ 4.6, the last one I had was the 300 which literally runs on just about anything in the crankcase. The tiny bit that I do know about Ford is that they use slightly different spec numbers for the different grades.

The Edge is hard to find for me in 5w30, I didn't pay attention to the 1st store but the other one did not have any on the shelf, even Walmart's website doesn't show that it's in stock at any of the stores in my area and doesn't allow you to order it online either.

The website mentioned it for 0w20 and forgot to look at the bottles to see if it's there or not.
My local Walmart doesn't even stock Castrol anymore. Idk why, it's been decreasing. I can get it online though

How stringent are the Ford specs? The only one that I'm maintaining is my dad's 06 F150 4wd w/ 4.6, the last one I had was the 300 which literally runs on just about anything in the crankcase. The tiny bit that I do know about Ford is that they use slightly different spec numbers for the different grades.
It has dexos certification which I think is the better benchmark around here and it usually is the same price as quaker state and mobil 1 AFE

Have you checked out Home Depot? My local one has a decent selection of 5 quart, liquid gold: PYB $22.50, GTX $25, Rotella $25, Pennzoil Platinum $27, and Castrol Edge $29.

Back