GTX Magnatec Is Back

How stringent are the Ford specs? The only one that I'm maintaining is my dad's 06 F150 4wd w/ 4.6, the last one I had was the 300 which literally runs on just about anything in the crankcase. The tiny bit that I do know about Ford is that they use slightly different spec numbers for the different grades.

Not that stringent I would think, some syn blends meet 961-A1. But Pennzoil’s best oil doesn’t. One of life’s great mysteries.🤷‍♂️

Shhhh…. Classic misdirection trick. 🤐

Don’t you need to go buy some “hybrid” oil or something? 🤣
I already have it stang boy 👦

1000001797.jpg

Not that stringent I would think, some syn blends meet 961-A1. But Pennzoil’s best oil doesn’t. One of life’s great mysteries.🤷‍♂️
I have the same spec on my Maverick and yes several blends meet that. I think this Pennzoil stuff came up prior..
Even Chevron 5w20 syn blend does. SP version at least.

Here's Castrol's response regarding GTX FS and Magnatec:

"In the USA, Castrol GTX MAGNATEC has been replaced by Castrol GTX Full Synthetic to align with GM’s latest generation of GM-certified engine oil, GM dexos1 Gen 3.

Castrol GTX Full Synthetic and Castrol GTX MAGNATEC are very similar formulations, with very similar properties and the GTX Full Synthetic product also contains the intelligent molecule like GTX MAGNATEC that protects the engine from start-up.

Castrol GTX Full Synthetic has been designed to meet the needs of today’s advanced engine technologies and to help extend engine life by fighting the impact of severe driving conditions. It provides the same outstanding wear protection as GTX MAGNATEC plus superior sludge protection that exceeds the industry standard."

"In the USA, Castrol GTX MAGNATEC has been replaced by Castrol GTX Full Synthetic to align with GM’s latest generation of GM-certified engine oil, GM dexos1 Gen 3.

Castrol GTX Full Synthetic and Castrol GTX MAGNATEC are very similar formulations, with very similar properties and the GTX Full Synthetic product also contains the intelligent molecule like GTX MAGNATEC that protects the engine from start-up.

Castrol GTX Full Synthetic has been designed to meet the needs of today’s advanced engine technologies and to help extend engine life by fighting the impact of severe driving conditions. It provides the same outstanding wear protection as GTX MAGNATEC plus superior sludge protection that exceeds the industry standard."
Does edge also have those molecules

I use an oil that's 40% full of intelligent molecules, Redline HP 5w-40.:geek:

...not simply .015%.:sneaky:

...just substitute 1 quart and there you go, you've just added more "intelligent" molecules than they offer.

Interesting indeed. Either not much of anyone tried GTX FS or it didn't deliver the same user experience (quiet etc.) Magnatec did because it didn't catch on, at least here. From the sounds of the above it should be a ringer.

IIRC GTX full syn was not out when they dumped magnatec. It’s the only reason I tried edge. sounds like revisionist history to me. Fool me once.

Interesting indeed. Either not much of anyone tried GTX FS or it didn't deliver the same user experience (quiet etc.) Magnatec did because it didn't catch on, at least here. From the sounds of the above it should be a ringer.

I'd like to compare the quietness of GTX FS to LM Molygen in our noisy '23 Forester Wilderness. I swear it sounds like it's gonna blow apart during cold starts.

I recently used the GTX FS 0W20 in the Odyssey, the Accord, and the RX350 (in my sig). In each case it seemed to work very well and the engines were just as quiet as with Pennzoil Platinum. I can't compare it to Magnatec because I have only ever used Magnatec 5W30; I don't think it is fair to compare between weights.

I probably wont be able to use the GTX FS again because I only have one jug left, and I haven't seen it since walmart cleared it last year.

I'd like to compare the quietness of GTX FS to LM Molygen in our noisy '23 Forester Wilderness. I swear it sounds like it's gonna blow apart during cold starts.
Yours is not the one making the most clatter. It's my wife's 2.0MPI Kia Soul parked right next to yours. Even the Kia Boyz' stay distanced from her Hamster.

My wife said she will trade you your three intelligent clinging molecules for her three USB cords the Kia Boyz dropped in our driveway.

Last edited:
Back