Fram Tough Guard 3387A cut open [PICS]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
No metal end caps. Why an educated member of BITOG would buy such a thing is beyond me.

Thank you! This filter looks like it was engineered to be built as cheaply as possible. It's not going on my engine!

OCOD in a silver can!

"Educated members of BITOG" know that fiber endcaps are a non issue.

I have been on BITOG for quite some time and one thing you will notice is that there is always "the in product" and whatever product is the "love of the month" will change to the next "best thing". I remember years ago all the rage was for Havoline Supreme oil, then it was German Castrol, then Pennzoil Platinum and Yellow Bottle....it just cycled thru.

I never thought I would see BITOG ever endorse a cheap FRAM filter however...that is a new low. You all can have your FRAM filters and I will stick with a better contructed competitor's filter (I would consider the Fram Ultra though). No matter what you all say, there is a lot of evidence out there against their endcap design and shoddy workmanship and mediocre media on the orange cans.

Let's not make the fram a "love of the month" product as it doesn't deserve it. I will spend my money for Purolator, Bosch or Wix filters.

I've only been a member of BITOG a couple of years, but I have noticed there is a lot of "He can't be a man 'cause he doesn't smoke the same cigarettes as me..."

I don't see this thread as anybody making Fram (or any other brand) the "love of the month".

I'm using a Purolator on my wife's car and a Purolator on my daughter's car. I have an orange Fram ph8316 on my Saturn (just because I can). I am sure they are all performing quite capably.

However, it's possible that the Purolators have media tears and are gushing dirty, unfiltered oil through the engine. I don't intend to cut them open and find out, so we'll never know.... will we?

Originally Posted By: chainblu
I've only been a member of BITOG a couple of years, but I have noticed there is a lot of "He can't be a man 'cause he doesn't smoke the same cigarettes as me..."

I don't see this thread as anybody making Fram (or any other brand) the "love of the month".
I'm using a Purolator on my wife's car and a Purolator on my daughter's car. I have an orange Fram ph8316 on my Saturn (just because I can). I am sure they are all performing quite capably.

However, it's possible that the Purolators have media tears and are gushing dirty, unfiltered oil through the engine. I don't intend to cut them open and find out, so we'll never know.... will we?

When I stated the love of the month I was referring to not just this post...you can see that, lately, there are several threads and posts all in favor of FRAM filters throughout the oil filter section.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

When I stated the love of the month I was referring to not just this post...you can see that, lately, there are several threads and posts all in favor of FRAM filters throughout the oil filter section.

A few years ago the ecore was the love of the month. Remember all the love for ARX?

Originally Posted By: chainblu

The "love" I've seen recently has been mostly towards the Ultra filter which has received near universal praise. For the price and quality, it's a good buy.

I don't see anyone gushing over the orange cans there is just a lot less hate for them than what historically has gone on here. What's ironic is what's been going on recently: a BITOG darling, Purolator (with metal endcaps!), has shown the tears while Frams haven't.

Over the years, I've mostly used Classics and P1s with smatterings of M1s. They've worked well and I never considered a Fram but with their Ultras (and the Purolator issues), I think I've found a good candidate to go at least two OCIs which translates to greater value to me.

Reminds me of one of my favorite movie quotes:"You're it until you're dead or I find someone better."

Originally Posted By: dishdude

A few years ago the ecore was the love of the month. Remember all the love for ARX?

Yes I do! LOL! There was also the run of TW3 2 cycle oil in your gas, plenty of MMO love too. The ARX did have a long running as did GC and PYB. Heck - there was a good 6 months of people mixing their own oils because they thought they could make a better blend.

Still - a pretty good place we have here overall.

No worries you've managed to spew your Fram hate in most of them.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

Yep. No worries at all....no Fram on my motors lol

Not even the Ultra? Hummm ... could be true Fram hate.
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Not even the Ultra? Hummm ... could be true Fram hate.
eek.gif

You missed in my early posts when I said the ONLY fram I would consider is the Ultra. Besides, not hate...just an informed consumer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back