Fram PH3980 C&P 5,500 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, this was on my 2000 Buick Century with 64k on it. It’s my commute car which is all highway 54 miles each way.

Ran Maxlife Blend 5w30. Put a Prime Guard on it for this run.

Note: this filter started leaking the last 1,000 miles or so which is the 2nd Fram EG to do that in the last year or so.

Pleats were uneven but straight. Fiber end caps were still tight and would tear apart when trying to pull on them. The seam was crimped on this one, it’s glued in the shorter 3387.
IMG_5785.jpeg

IMG_5786.jpeg

IMG_5787.jpeg

IMG_5788.jpeg

IMG_5789.jpeg

IMG_5790.jpeg

IMG_5791.jpeg

IMG_5792.jpeg

IMG_5793.jpeg

Hey guys, this was on my 2000 Buick Century with 64k on it. It’s my commute car which is all highway 54 miles each way.

Note: this filter started leaking the last 1,000 miles or so which is the 2nd Fram EG to do that in the last year or so.

Pleats were uneven but straight. Fiber end caps were still tight and would tear apart when trying to pull on them. The seam was crimped on this one, it’s glued in the shorter 3387.
View attachment 211839
View attachment 211840
View attachment 211841
View attachment 211842
View attachment 211843
View attachment 211845
View attachment 211847
View attachment 211848
View attachment 211849
Good Afternoon Muzzleflash40,
Thank you for the C&P and your comments. The oil looks very clean on the tapping plate. Except for the oil saturation, the filter media and end caps look like they just came out of the box.

I used to run a lot of 3980 orange cans when I still had GM cars, nice upsize for the 3387 and they tend to generally look very good, much like the 3600's do.

Is this one displaying the no paint under the Sure Grip coating? Kinda looks like it. Is that rust bubbling or ???????

View attachment 211839
View attachment 211840
View attachment 211841
View attachment 211842
View attachment 211843
View attachment 211845
View attachment 211847
View attachment 211848
View attachment 211849

Looks good. Unless I kissed it; what oil and filter went on and in? Thank You.

View attachment 211839
View attachment 211840
View attachment 211841
View attachment 211842
View attachment 211843
View attachment 211845
View attachment 211847
View attachment 211848
View attachment 211849
Leaking from the gasket or was there a puncture?

I normally torque down all my filter installs to OE spec and never had issues with leaking.

I used to run a lot of 3980 orange cans when I still had GM cars, nice upsize for the 3387 and they tend to generally look very good, much like the 3600's do.

Is this one displaying the no paint under the Sure Grip coating? Kinda looks like it. Is that rust bubbling or ???????
IMG_5806.jpeg

Well, I went back out to the garage. I was able to flake it off with my fingernail. And it does kinda look like rust underneath but I’m not sure, the orange paint looks like overspray.

Leaking from the gasket or was there a puncture?

I normally torque down all my filter installs to OE spec and never had issues with leaking.
From the gasket. And I thought on the first one I might’ve over tightened it, so I’ve been extra careful to not do that. I’ve never had a filter do it either as far as I can recall.

Last edited:
Seeing bubbling lumps on that sure grip coating. Looks like it’s leaking from there instead of the gasket.
Well, it sits on the block at an angle and I could see the oil dripping down the length of the filter from the gasket.

But the rust is kinda odd since the filter was only on there for slightly less than 3 months.

Element looks fine, but second EG leaking in the "last year or so", and this one at <3 months use..... No bueno. Don't care for sure grip because it makes cap wrench use difficult to impossible. But a leaking can goes well beyond some filter removal hardship. Unacceptable, imo. I do appreciate your candidness regarding the leaking issue.

Thanks for c&p.

Salt belt doesn't seem to be easy on spin on filters it seems. No oil leak is good especially from an oil filter that may sit low in the drain/gravity set-up. Hopefully, the Prime Guard suits better.

Did the filter seem tight when it was removed? Obviously if it's leaking someplace on the can instead of at the base gasket then that's not good. The one's I've scraped the grip coating off of had paint underneath. Best test would have been to wipe it clean while still on the engine, then look and watch to see exactly where the oil was coming from. And to have checked the tightness to see if it might have been under torqued.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back