Fram Tough Guard 3387A cut open [PICS]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are the pics I promised you guys from last weeks oil change on the Uplander. QSUD 5w30 and Tough Guard came out and QSUD 5w30 and a Tough Guard went in. Im happy with this combo but I spotted what seems to be an oil leak while I was under there, so I may HAVE to switch to a HM oil, hopefully the leak is small enough to where I can just top off if necessary. Here are the pics!

CAM001611_zpsc5820da1.jpg

CAM001631_zps36c5af2c.jpg

CAM001531_zps190149ea.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pic, this is just showing the glued seam. It looked to be held together well.
CAM001541_zps96dd9863.jpg

Nice even pleats
CAM001571_zps08e8600a.jpg

A little bit of wavy media, but no tears
CAM001561_zps2dc5b5b5.jpg

CAM001601_zpsf2d7c6b9.jpg

Originally Posted By: spasm3
How long/many miles did you run it?

Around 3500 miles. OLM was at 44%. It consumes some oil so I just choose to change it out when it gets to the "low" mark rather than topping it off. This vehicle is a short tripper.

So it's a filter that's recommended for 6-10,000 miles and it got changed at 3500. I'm not surprised it looks ok, it should look ok but there are waves?

Looks very good as I would expect for only 3k on a Tough Guard. Greg if you have room and you're not under warranty you can also use the oversize TG3980 and get some extra media out of the deal. I've used the oversize on my Chevy's for years.

As always, thanks for cutting and posting!

Originally Posted By: silverrat
These posts are worthless without intervals.

True that. The TG looks fine, but at 3500 miles, or so, I'd expect nothing less.

No doubt it could have gone longer, but the only cheaper options at my Walmart are the AC Delco or Purolator Classic. I have used both and came away somewhat unimpressed. Both did the job, but looked less than stellar for a 3K mile OCI. Ill keep using 1 TG per OCI on the Uplander.

Originally Posted By: leroyd92
Do the TG filters use fiber end caps or composite ?

Fiber, composite, "engineered composite fiber"... whatever people call it. They are not metal. The only Fram that has metal end caps is the Ultra.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
That's the filter that is specified for my Buick but I am running the oversized 3980 so I can dump the whole 5.1 quart jug instead of 4.5

Your saying the oversized filter holds over half a quart more?

Originally Posted By: gregk24
That's the filter that is specified for my Buick but I am running the oversized 3980 so I can dump the whole 5.1 quart jug instead of 4.5

Your saying the oversized filter holds over half a quart more?

An average sized oil filter only hold 8~10 oz of oil total, so I doubt up-sizing increases the oil capacity by 16 additional oz.

Last time I used a K&N HP1001 which is about the same size as the oem filter and it's took 4.5 quarts to get to the max line after running it and letting it sit now with the XG 3980 the entire 5.1 quart jug has me sitting perfect on full.

My oem size is ac delco pf47 and the oversize cross reference I'm using now is pf52. These filters don't have bypass valves inside so you probably have more media length than some others with the same dimensions.

I will recheck my oil level after it sits overnight again.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
No doubt it could have gone longer, but the only cheaper options at my Walmart are the AC Delco or Purolator Classic.

My Walmart usually stocks most of the same applications in both Extra Guard and Tough Guard, so you should be able to save a couple of dollars with the Extra Guard which will more than cover a 3500 mile OCI.

Last time I used a K&N HP1001 which is about the same size as the oem filter and it's took 4.5 quarts to get to the max line after running it and letting it sit now with the XG 3980 the entire 5.1 quart jug has me sitting perfect on full.

I don't dispute "what you saw is what you saw" ... but there is no way up-sizing any filter is going to net a 20 oz (0.6 qt) additional oil held by the filter. I think there was something else going on there (not checking oil level at same temp and car in same spot, oil jug not having as much oil in it as labeled, etc).

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

I don't dispute "what you saw is what you saw" ... but there is no way up-sizing any filter is going to net a 20 oz (0.6 qt) additional oil held by the filter. I think there was something else going on there (not checking oil level at same temp and car in same spot, oil jug not having as much oil in it as labeled, etc).

A few people here have mentioned when going from a 14670, which is the standard size, to the 30001 for the older Fords, have gained about half a quart with a the Jeep 4.0. .6 quarts doesn't seem too unreasonable.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
A few people here have mentioned when going from a 14670, which is the standard size, to the 30001 for the older Fords, have gained about half a quart with a the Jeep 4.0. .6 quarts doesn't seem too unreasonable.

I can believe that with a 30001 ... that thing on the large end of the size scale.

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/resources/Popup/Pages/PartDetailPopup.aspx?partnum=L14670

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/resources/Popup/Pages/PartDetailPopup.aspx?partnum=L30001

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back