Fram Tough Guard 3387A cut open [PICS]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only get an extra 1/4 qt going from a PH16 equivalent to a PH8A equivalent. I often do it anyway for additional reasons.

Okay I let it sit overnight and now the oil is slightly darker than when it was originally filled and it appears the 5.1 quarts plus the oversized filter does still slightly over fill it but not sure how much.

I just dump the jug in when I use a PH3980/PF52 equivalent, like you said its still overfilled but not by much.

Cmon guys
This is alot of back and forth over a half qt of oil
Most engines will take being a little over filled just fine

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
The only Fram I use is the Ultra...

Then you are missing out on some really good filters with that thought path

Originally Posted By: steve20

I don't disagree with his comment.

Why pay the price for a fiberboard (or whatever it is) end capped filter when you can pay the same or sometimes even less for a better constructed Purolater or Bosch filter with metal endcaps and better overall contstruction? I will not use a Fram filter, but if I were, I would only consider the Ultra as well because that really is a nice filter. The Tough Guard is nothing more than a gussied up orange can so no thank you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
The Tough Guard is nothing more than a gussied up orange can so no thank you.

Exactly. I am not sure where all the love is coming from for the TG all of a sudden, but we have seen time and time again extremely poor build quality on EGs and TGs for decades.

They aren't going to blow your engine, but there are better built filters out there for less.

The UG is a great filter, but for lower end filters I'll stick to Wix and Purolator.

Why pay the price for a fiberboard (or whatever it is) end capped filter when you can pay the same or sometimes even less for a better constructed Purolater or Bosch filter with metal endcaps and better overall contstruction? I will not use a Fram filter, but if I were, I would only consider the Ultra as well because that really is a nice filter. The Tough Guard is nothing more than a gussied up orange can so no thank you.

I don't understand this comment. Can you explain why the TG is not as good as other brands? And who says metal end caps are better?

So if Fram slapped on some metal endcaps the Toughguard would be a good filter? No, not hardly. The Toughguard is an excellent filter, worthy of 10K mile OCI...thats more than Purolator guarantees them for. Besides if I ran a purolator for 10K the media would probably be blown through.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979

I don't understand this comment. Can you explain why the TG is not as good as other brands? And who says metal end caps are better?

Metal endcaps aren't better and the TG is completely different than the extra guard.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

So if Fram slapped on some metal endcaps the Toughguard would be a good filter? No, not hardly. The Toughguard is an excellent filter, worthy of 10K mile OCI...thats more than Purolator guarantees them for. Besides if I ran a purolator for 10K the media would probably be blown through.

No - it would take a lot more than that to make it a better filter. The media would need to be better and the rubber used would need to be better too. My point is simply that there are better filters at this price point.

I've been on this board for pretty good time and reading up on FRAM's here and on other websites has shown time and again that while the FRAM EG and TG are not "bad" filters...I am just saying there are BETTER filters in this price range. I am not sold on glued together fiber endcaps.....if it is so good then why are all the BETTER filters..inluding FRAM'S premium filters have endcaps made of metal?????

My point is simply that there are better filters at this price point.

There are, which is why I opted to no longer use their filters with the glued in end caps. I think Fram makes some excellent products. I never had a problem using their filters, in fact I used the OC filters for many years. Coming to Bitog I learned there are better filters for the money though, so I made the change. I would use their better filters, and have when I can grab them on sale.

It's not just the fiber end caps, it's the construction quality on the EG. I will agree the TG seems a to have a little higher quality control, but in reality it is engineered just like an EG.

I have seen way too many 8As and 16s with very little and poorly spaced media that I look to other manufacturers for lower end filters.

No - it would take a lot more than that to make it a better filter. The media would need to be better and the rubber used would need to be better too. My point is simply that there are better filters at this price point.

The TG uses a silicone anti-drainback valve. I thought this was the best?

The TG uses a silicone anti-drainback valve. I thought this was the best?

It is the best and also the TG uses a synthetic blend media with 99% efficiency, he's just bashing without facts at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back