Fram PH3980 C&P 5,500 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did the filter seem tight when it was removed? Obviously if it's leaking someplace on the can instead of at the base gasket then that's not good. The one's I've scraped the grip coating off of had paint underneath. Best test would have been to wipe it clean while still on the engine, then look and watch to see exactly where the oil was coming from. And to have checked the tightness to see if it might have been under torqued.
Torque seemed normal when I removed it. I don’t have anymore Frams to use for a while to see if there was some sort of trend starting either. But I know after the first one it made me paranoid so I’ve been double checking.

I’m not a Fram basher, I’ve used them a lot over 25 years. But I will be honest it does give me pause atleast for a while to see how things play out.

Side note: I picked up a couple AcDelcos for a good deal, not realizing they’re made by the same company 😂 so I’ll cut them open to and see how they’re doing after I’ve used them.

^^^ I've used 2/3 to 3/4 turn after the base gasket first hits the mounting seat on all oil filters I've used on many vehicles ... oiled gasket of course, and a good cleaning of the seat before installation. Cleaning the seat also ensures that the old gasket wasn't left behind to cause a "double gasket" catastrophe. Never an oil leak.

Salt belt doesn't seem to be easy on spin on filters it seems. No oil leak is good especially from an oil filter that may sit low in the drain/gravity set-up. Hopefully, the Prime Guard suits better.

It helps if you actually paint them. 😮. First Brands strikes again.

My PG filters gleam and look like they have 20 coats on them. 👍

^^^ I've used 2/3 to 3/4 turn after the base gasket first hits the mounting seat on all oil filters I've used on many vehicles ... oiled gasket of course, and a good cleaning of the seat before installation. Cleaning the seat also ensures that the old gasket wasn't left behind to cause a "double gasket" catastrophe. Never an oil leak.
I remember back when I was a teenager doing an oil change in my folks 97 F150, was only a couple years old truck then. Had a skid plate that you had to reach around to get to the filter. I didn’t pay attention to see if I had the old oil filter gasket before adding the new one. So, when I fired it up it poured out like a faucet 😂 what a mess all over the driveway that was. I was terrified I had blown the engine or something. What a lesson that was 😂

^^^ Had a neigbor who did an oil change in his driveway. He double gasketed the new filter ... talk about a mess. He was cleaning up oil for hours, lol.

It helps if you actually paint them. 😮. First Brands strikes again.

My PG filters gleam and look like they have 20 coats on them. 👍
I’ve been super impressed with the PG’s and the STP XL’s. I don’t think the STP’s are PG unless I’m mistaken but they look similar. I’ll probably stick with those on my Ram and Her Jeep.

Yeah, the Orange Spin-on's appear to have a very thin aka lower cost coat of paint but I can't bet on it as I'm not sure other than what we see posted.

Orange cans have never had a heavy paint job but it at least worked, you didn’t see the rust we are seeing now.

I believe the idea to save 3 cents and not paint underneath the Sure Grip is a recent First Brands upgrade. 👎

Hey guys, this was on my 2000 Buick Century with 64k on it. It’s my commute car which is all highway 54 miles each way.

Ran Maxlife Blend 5w30. Put a Prime Guard on it for this run.

Note: this filter started leaking the last 1,000 miles or so which is the 2nd Fram EG to do that in the last year or so.

Pleats were uneven but straight. Fiber end caps were still tight and would tear apart when trying to pull on them. The seam was crimped on this one, it’s glued in the shorter 3387.
View attachment 211839
View attachment 211840
View attachment 211841
View attachment 211842
View attachment 211843
View attachment 211845
View attachment 211847
View attachment 211848
View attachment 211849
It’s looks fine. Where was it leaking from, the gasket?

Never mind I see where you said from the gasket later.

Last edited:
It could have possibly be leaking from the crimp seam ... seen other filter brands leak there (some WIXs were doing it for a while). Only way to know would have been to clean it off and closely monitor it before it was removed.

It could have possibly be leaking from the crimp seam ... seen other filter brands leak there (some WIXs were doing it for a while). Only way to know would have been to clean it off and closely monitor it before it was removed.
You always “seen some other filter brand” have the same issues or worse anytime there’s a problem reported with this 1 brand lol.
Your hilarious.

You always “seen some other filter brand” have the same issues or worse anytime there’s a problem reported with this 1 brand lol.
Your hilarious.
Obviously you don't read this board enough. You don't think it's true? Stop trolling. Your Fram hate is obvious, that's what's actually hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back