Fram tough guard with louvers

pcf

IMG_5855.jpeg

While sniffing filter glue at Walmart, I ran across this tough guard with louvers. I didn’t check the date codes, but they had TGs in the same size with nitrile ADBVs and holes, silicone valves and holes, and this guy. Doesn’t appear to be a change to the media.

Nice i was wondering if those were switching to metal endcaps like the orange cans had some. I got curious too and bought an ultra a few days ago simply over that i feel the louvers if well open inside would flow better than the old stamped metal tube that didnt have as many holes. Only downside is this makes it harder to inspect for wire backing. But its a change i welcome as long quality control is consistent. Going to use this for the HPL oil transition phase from the Valvoline im currently running.

1000001733.jpg
1000001735.jpg
1000001736.jpg
1000001738.jpg

Fram has been using different locations for manufacturing. I've noticed they've gone cheap on a few of their premium filters. Your photo doesn't really show the media in the top down pic.

Yes, Fram filters with louvered center tubes been seen in several anecdotes, here and youtube vids. I'd say it's the Champ Labs influence by owner First Brands. Champ has used louvered tubes for many years. Don't know if more will be seen, but FB call.

No biggie either way, imo.

Last edited:
What makes louvers unworthy of your trust?
This is repeated often here.
There have been pictures posted on here of louvers that are partially closed or fully closed. There seems to be a variation in the manufacturing process. And trying to peer down into the center core of a filter to check the louvers for openness will play tricks on your eyes.

Nice i was wondering if those were switching to metal endcaps like the orange cans had some. I got curious too and bought an ultra a few days ago simply over that i feel the louvers if well open inside would flow better than the old stamped metal tube that didnt have as many holes.
That’s what I was curious about.

I don’t mind cardboard end caps or louvers. I found it interesting that it looks like a regular TG other than the tube.

There have been pictures posted on here of louvers that are partially closed or fully closed. There seems to be a variation in the manufacturing process. And trying to peer down into the center core of a filter to check the louvers for openness will play tricks on your eyes.
Just need to go to "louver reading" school so you can decide if they are formed well enough for your use. ;)

I'm guessing the formation of louvers is done with a "cutter and anvil" arranged in a roller configuration.
That's fine until the "Sloppy Squad" lets the louver cutter-presser-roller go out of alignment (depth).
I had never given it a thought. I swear I thought the louver vs hole thing was a "snipe hunting" joke here.

If steel banding is sent through other rollers -ones which pre-roll the edges for tube formation and crimping AND hole punching- I imagine the little discs of punched out metal are gathered and sent back to an appropriate pot of molten metal.
In the paper industry that's "recall".
We'd know if the tubes were pierce-punched.

Without knowing, I'd guess slicing and denting louvers into the same steel band is what every maker would do because it involves fewer steps.

...I had never given it a thought. I swear I thought the louver vs hole thing was a "snipe hunting" joke here....
"For me' that's hard to imagine. As your initial query post here alludes to, you were well aware of use of louvered center tubes. Also, of the multitude of discussions of dislike in their use by some. To never once see/read the reason why, which more often than not accompanied those discussions, as noted, hard for me to imagine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In any case, now have a direct and clear answer to the question.

Seriously, no details were ever described in this "great debate". The camps were established. Being an ongoing rib was a real possibility.

Pressure deltas through holes vs. louvers....never discussed.
Differences (pliability and....?) between silicon and nitrile ADBV, for example, have been described.

Seriously, no details were ever described in this "great debate". The camps were established.
So your statement regarding louver distrust, "this often repeated here" only referred to this thread? Even if that the case, a simple search like, e.g., "louver issues" would reveal the answer that was provided by the member @Soft Cars here." Often repeated" though, would seem to imply seen many times before beyond this thread.

Last edited:
Correct....but always lacking details.
Also correct is that I never did a search on it.
The responses on the topic seemed jocular in tone and nothing more.
So, now that we've established that I haven't done the required research, I respectfully withdraw my doctoral thesis.

SERIOUSLY: I must now focus on gathering info on a 2023 Maruti Fronx an associate just bought in India.
Even with the big, flashy Suzuki "S" logo on its grill, info is hard to find.
I will not dissipate my energies on louvers vs holes further.
Peace.

Back