Edge and The Dogs Of Amazon

The guitarist for U2, right?
Yeah, but seriously Bono AND Edge are deprecated. Use at your own risk.

Regarding consumer versions of Windows 7, there hasn't been a security update released in 3 years!!!! It has thousands of known security flaws and who knows how many more unknown ones out in the wild. To the OP, please, for the love of all that's holy don't use that machine for online commerce at all. The chances that it is part of a bot network approach 1.

I stopped giving tech support advice to anyone running an unsupported OS because my blood pressure would shoot up the roof. Deadpan response: "Get a new computer."

Someone was comparing using an old OS akin to driving an old vehicle. WTH! You can't compare closed source software that is supported by a singular company to a vehicle where the manufacturer sources various parts, whether OEM, OEM supplier or aftermarket.

Dang, Edge is no longer supported? So what are people using these days? I hated Edge but especially hate Chrome, I want Internet Explorer back lol. Personally glad I switched to a MacBook Pro on the Apple system so I never have to worry about that stuff anymore except at work where they won’t buy Apple computers lol. My Lenovo laptop was no longer supported so it was time I upgraded anyway. It kept trying to get me to use something called Chrominium or something which I never did. I still use it occasionally to play Minecraft but that’s it.

Dang, Edge is no longer supported? So what are people using these days? I hated Edge but especially hate Chrome, I want Internet Explorer back lol. Personally glad I switched to a MacBook Pro on the Apple system so I never have to worry about that stuff anymore except at work where they won’t buy Apple computers lol. My Lenovo laptop was no longer supported so it was time I upgraded anyway. It kept trying to get me to use something called Chrominium or something which I never did. I still use it occasionally to play Minecraft but that’s it.
Regardless of the jokes on this thread, Edge is still fully supported and is not a bad browser at all in my opinion. It uses less RAM than Chrome for one. It's the old Windows 7 that is a problem.

Regardless of the jokes on this thread, Edge is still fully supported and is not a bad browser at all in my opinion. It uses less RAM than Chrome for one. It's the old Windows 7 that is a problem.
Yes, Edge is supported on modern versions of Windows. As far as RAM usage, I don’t find really meaningful differences between browsers anymore. Especially since Edge and everything else not Firefox and Safari are using the Chromium engine. I end up with 50 tabs and like 7 GB of RAM used no matter what browser I use 😂.

Yes the default web browser shipped with Windows 10 and 11 is still called "Edge," but I think the internals of Edge are completely different from what it was under Windows 7. Not that anyone uses either one.

Yes the default web browser shipped with Windows 10 and 11 is still called "Edge," but I think the internals of Edge are completely different from what it was under Windows 7. Not that anyone uses either one.
You are correct: I have no idea why Microsoft did not just rename the thing; but Edge was supposed to replace IE. After some time they decided to just use Chromium - already at the time nearing ubiquitous use in Chrome and others - as a base instead of reinventing the wheel. So now Edge is a Chromium-based browser, much like the bazillion other browsers not named "Firefox". Its current market share seems to hover just above Firefox's; both around or just under 5%.

It's a bit more murky than that.

- 7/8/8.1 all shipped with Internet Exploder
- 10 shipped with MS proprietary Edge (non-Chromium)
- 11 shipped with Chromium-based Edge

Both versions were available for 7/8/8.1, shifting from one to the other as the product evolved.

You differentiate between the two by the change in the icon.

OG MS proprietary Edge (which you will see on a virgin install of Windows 10):
OG Edge 200x200.jpg

Chromium-based Edge (which you will see on a virgin install of Windows 11):
Edge new 200x200.jpg

Since the OP has the latter icon, he has the Chromium-based version of Edge.

The last version of Chromium-based Edge that was supported on Windows 7/8/8.1 was version 109, released almost a year ago:
Microsoft said:
  • With Windows 7 Extended Security Update (ESU) end of support on January 10th, 2023, Microsoft Edge version 109 will be the last browser version to support this operating system. Microsoft Edge version 109 is scheduled for release the week of January 12th, 2023 (to learn more, see our release schedule).
  • With Windows 8/8.1 end of support on January 10th, 2023, Microsoft Edge version 109 will be the last browser version to support this operating system. Microsoft Edge version 109 is scheduled for release the week of January 12th, 2023 (to learn more, see our release schedule).

So, assuming his browser has automatically updated, he'll be on version 109. The current version is 120. This is of course woefully out of date, with numerous security patches being made to Chromium in the last year.

The last version of Chromium to support Windows 7/8/8.1 was 109, so this was really an artifact of Edge being based on Chromium, despite Microsoft stating it coincides with the EOS for 7/8/8.1.

All of the "popular" browsers have already ended support for Windows 7, or will soon. There is only one browser that I know of that will work in Windows 7 and be updated going forward... Supermium.

Back