Working on a new dog

Working on wife to agree to a new dog. I am thinking an English Mastiff hoping while still a big dog there is less slobber than my Neopolitan Mastiff who is in dog heaven (sadly).

Wife is thinking snoodle dog. Less fur and no slobber.

I am thinking two dogs.

I am texting puppy pictures to wife.

I am seeing my 13 year old Mastiff mix is getting slow and how much longer will she be around. So a second dog would help (me) if I lost my Mastiff mix.

^^Sorry to be the one to say this (as some people get so...blamey) but adopting a dog includes dealing with the animals' emotional / behavioral baggage. Adopting a shelter dog often carries more work and dangers. Never overlook that; it's not insignificant.

Assessing one's capabilities is important for matching breed to lifestyle.

Can you keep a large dog fit? Do you have enough legs left to maintain a training regimen?

In the '70's I trained my mutt Pathmark (selected from 3 dogs in a shopping cart) on the sidewalk which was aside the home of a barking Neapolitan Mastiff.
It helped both our concentration.

Those Mastiffs, at one time there were two, and the Saint Bernard needed 'zoom room'.

^^Sorry to be the one to say this (as some people get so...blamey) but adopting a dog includes dealing with the animals' emotional / behavioral baggage. Adopting a shelter dog often carries more work and dangers. Never overlook that; it's not insignificant.
100% true. What is not true is assuming all shelter dogs have emotional/behavioral problems. Since you didn't say some animals you possibly lean toward most do. And not all shelters and rescues are the same. Some are high volume and just can't spend time with a dog to get to know it or give it the human engagement that dogs need and so can't really match a dog to a new owner . Getting a dog there has some risk.

Other rescues/shelters are smaller and get to know the dogs and try hard to make good matches. The rescue I volunteer at has a process that includes a meet & greet, another meet & greet with other pets the possible adopters own, and a home visit for the dog before it gets adopted. Even then a few come back usually because the new owner doesn't want to take the simple steps to help a successful adoption of a rescue dog. The adoption people will turn adoptions down if the situation doesn't look like it will work. Sometimes pets that seemed to be ok initially decide they don't like each other and the new dog comes back. Some dogs need active engagement through training to be happy and the owner doesn't want to be that engaged. By far most dogs are happy to just be in a home with food and people and fit right in.

I grew up with big dogs. Didn't like "yippy" little dogs.

Wife wanted yippy little dog. Got a Bijon. Then a second Shih Tzu.

There AWESOME!. Little dogs are extremely affectionate and loyal to their owners. They often are fearful of other humans so I think if you never owned one you miss that part. I did.

There eyes are comparatively big, and are experts at begging - its how their breeds survived for millennia.

We adopted our dogs from breed specific rescue organization's. The first was a Great Dane and then a German Shepherd.

Make sure your future dog chooses you, too. I know a couple who adopted a dog that she loved but the dog hated him. It was obvious from the beginning. Three years later nothing has changed other than she has chosen the dog over him. 😳
My departed Minature Schnauzer (pictured to the left) could detect evil people at first sight, even before I could having INFJs/Sigma Emphatic crossover abilities. I can sometimes read someone's turbulence and manifestations both telepathically and subconsciously, even inside posts and threads here.

I just had an argument with my wife over her sister's coldish behavior patterns with myself, covering the past 3-4 years. Wife's upset that I no longer visit her sister's home for 2-3 family events during the year. I told the wife I'm not going inside that home - a place where I no longer feel the warm & fuzzies of welcome power.

People like that empower evil traits, even disguising them thru innocent means. My wife's sister knows I'm Intuitive to the Deceased, but is unaware I'm Intuitive sometimes to the Living that bear evil emotions to me in disguise.

I absolutely hate reading people. There's so much disappointment in that skill. There's more sadness than happiness, in the most bizarre, oddest ways.

Last edited:
My parents (mainly my dads's hobby) had registered St Bernards and we raised them. We kept the female and it was an amazing dog and very smart. The English Mastiff's are nice dog's.

Beautiful creatures! I wish you the best of luck. A few years ago I really wanted to adopt a Cane Corso but I had just had shoulder surgery and I could not handle him. I'm 250lbs ish and he pulled me around like I was nothing, no way the wife could have remotely handled him.

TH

What is a snoodle dog? Lol.

If you like the mastiff/ bully breeds, I suggest you look into a pug. Same behavior, just 1/8th the size.

What's the attraction of these giant breeds? You obviously love them.

There are so many unbelievable dogs that need adopted that deserve a great life.....
I adopted a Retriever/Newfoundland mix and he is such a loving and gentile dog, in spite of his energy which is off the charts. I got him at 13 weeks, now he’s 10 months and almost 90 pounds.
I just love a rugged dog, and he is a beast. The prong collar doesn’t even phase him I had to use a different method to stop the pulling on the leash.
His intelligence is amazing and he is the most gentile dog I’ve ever had.
Boy he LOVES to swim too!!!

C16BA1B1-9349-4546-9A27-328938B096E2.jpeg

531C44D9-19E8-4631-8D0E-DFA6E6EB4C4D.jpeg

@dlundblad
This is a Schnoodle
Father was a Miniature poodle, mother was a Miniature schnauzer.
I think the OP, even though he loves large dogs, will fine this dog INCREDIBLY, Strong, Sturdy, SMART. His bone structure is rock hard when you pick him up.

His wife will like it because as long as you get the miniature version will weigh about 30 pounds, they do not shed, they have hair like us, they do not drool.

When training you do have to affirm you are the master, they are so smart at first they will try to outsmart you. Once through the puppy stage you will have an INCREDIBLE loyal dog that will amaze you its whole life with its intelligence. He still amazes our family members, 14 years old and now blind, he plays with his toys every day, knows how to communicate with us when he has to go outside, NEVER has "mistakes" in the house. He will learn your routine to the minute. I dont know how. Even now, being blind, he knows morning and he knows when it's bed time and will still put himself to bed.

I never had a dog like this and never will again. He wont be with us much longer according to his doctor, though he doesnt know it or act like it but his heart valves are starting to fail. He most likely wont be with us for his 15th Christmas and maybe not his 15th Birthday in July. (Heart murmur) In case you haven't noticed I cant imagine him not being with us in the future. I know most feel that way about dogs, they are better than mankind.
(just research the poodle breed and schnauzer breed on what they were bred for, then mix them together :)
PS @Dave Hess Schnauzers are incredible dogs. I understand like you cant imagine when he is no longer with us.

They also have what is called a "standard" schnoodle and can weight up to around 80lbs. I think.

IMG_2189.jpg
P
Properly trained the photo below shows him waiting for the command to eat his home made cheese hamburger for his 11th birthday (check out his eyes on the burger*LOL*)

IMG_2222.jpeg

Loves the boat and water too
IMG_2249.jpeg
IMG_2267.jpeg

Last edited:
Best dog I ever got was a pit bull/ Australian shepherd mix. She is the only one with a solid brown coat. All the others has the multi color coat of the shepherd. 85 pounds of pure love. Her build is basically a pit bull with long legs. She pretty much is what is locally known as a WVBD West Virginia Brown Dog lol
IMG_0744.jpeg

I adopted a Retriever/Newfoundland mix and he is such a loving and gentile dog, in spite of his energy which is off the charts. I got him at 13 weeks, now he’s 10 months and almost 90 pounds.
I just love a rugged dog, and he is a beast. The prong collar doesn’t even phase him I had to use a different method to stop the pulling on the leash.
His intelligence is amazing and he is the most gentile dog I’ve ever had.
Boy he LOVES to swim too!!!

View attachment 202957

View attachment 202958
I had 2 Newfoundland dogs growing up. They were great dogs.

Back