Does it bug you people taking their dogs shopping in stores?

Does it bug you people taking their dogs shopping in stores?​

grumpy_cat_yes.jpg

Most breeds are not "outside dogs" livestock guardians and more 'primitive' less developed breeds are though. The majority need to be physically near their people at most times (we made them this way genetically) or they get neurotic and a bit feral. Some breeds this applies especially so with like shepherds, rotties, dobies etc.
Dogs were bred to be around people, not to live with them. Historically dogs stayed outside of human dwellings.
Maybe some royalty kept their dogs inside.

Dogs sharing the living space with humans is a very recent phenomenon and is likely the cause of their misbehavior.

Also always interesting the "but kids" arguments whenever this discussion comes up. Dogs aren't people. Dogs don't grow up to solve world problems. I'm glad you don't like kids but are a "dog parent" and can have that sticker on your car. It's weird. I have a dog and I really enjoy having her, she's cool, I don't take her to stores with me. Your dogs don't bother me or "offend me", I just think it's odd that folks think it's open season to take your dogs anywhere you want when many places don't allow/want it and just don't say anything b/c it's awkward. My son works at a car dealer, he said folks come into the service department with their dogs and have them in the waiting room. One lady's dog pooped in the service bay and she asked if someone working could clean it up. This happens all the time. He told her no do it youself and handed her some paper towels. Good for him.

Dogs were bred to be around people, not to live with them. Historically dogs stayed outside of human dwellings.
Maybe some royalty kept their dogs inside.

Dogs sharing the living space with humans is a very recent phenomenon and is likely the cause of their misbehavior.
Dogs were domesticated 30,000 years ago. So we all lived together in caves for 20,000 years, then in a village for 10,000, and now were back to a simply more elaborate cave.

I'll add just about every modern study done says people with dogs live longer, have less stress, etc.

Dogs were domesticated 30,000 years ago. So we all lived together in caves for 20,000 years, then in a village for 10,000, and now were back to a simply more elaborate cave.

I'll add just about every modern study done says people with dogs live longer, have less stress, etc.

So you’re telling me that we domesticated dogs 30 thousand years ago to guard and alert us of any danger and then we allowed them to sleep and dwell in our caves? 🤣

Most dogs are better behaved than most kids. I think I'd rather see dogs in stores than someone with kids.
Most monkeys are better controlled than the little one across from me a couple days back … woman with more money than brains tried to strap a 2 year old into his own business class seat - no child seat … It was crazy …

It's not ok in food stores. It's unsanitary, and it's the same reason we can't go barefoot or topless. It's crude and goes against polite society even if it's "probably ok."
Spoiler Alert: The person's hand that touched your food and put it back is far more unsanitary than any dog roaming the aisles, as well as the toddler sitting in the shopping cart. Little buggers are walking Petri dishes.

Last edited:
Sure, keep telling that to yourself🙄
It's objectively true. The dog is not touching the food on the shelves. The owner might touch the dog, and then touch the food, but that's not really cause for concern. You're more likely to get a nasty C. Diff infection from the person that took a dump and didn't wash their hands.

I can respect a person's desire to not be around dogs, but frankly it's limited to Lowes/Home Depot. They have massive aisles last I checked, and tons of open space. However, falling ill from being around a roaming domesticated pet should be the least of anyone's concerns when they're out in public.

In other words, the only real argument against pets in public is, "well I just don't like them".

Personally, I'd rather see dogs at Home Depot than children. Or restaurants, for that matter. My favorite is children at the company Christmas party...

Last edited:
I see a lot of comments on fake service dogs. While I completely agree - its like non-handicapped people parking in the handicap zone - its really hard to tell. For example over 1% of the population has epilepsy, and they have epilepsy dogs that can sense an oncoming seizure usually several minutes before. They have no idea how, but the trained ones are pretty much 100% accurate.

So don't assume that every able bodied person walking around with a service dog is faking it.
Yes, we deal with this occasionally with people thinking the only type of service dog is a German Shepard leading a blind person.
Picture below is our trained ($$), registered service dog working on a Chicago Transit bus during vacation.
1707147988327.jpeg

Regarding the rest of this discussion: the history of dog development is available for anyone to study. This discussion supports the idea that everyone is different and has different opinions, values. and ingrained beliefs. It boils down to us humans accepting that and respecting others regardless if it differs than ours. Unfortunately, human nature will NEVER change. Yes, this discussion is mostly about humans, not dogs.

Last edited:
Years of riding on two wheels and listening to dogs bark around us at home I don't care for dogs in general anymore. So shouldn't have to say what my answer is. But also I grew up on a farm so the meaning of animals was different for us growing up.

I mean sure, there is not much difference between your life and that of an average cave dweller. So I’m sure whatever you do with your pet applied back then 🤣
Not sure what your point is. You essentially said dogs were barn animals above, when there is substantial archeological evidence that clearly contradicts that.

You don't like dogs, and you don't want them in your store. I get it, and its fine with me as well. However some of your other comments are factually incorrect.

Not sure what your point is. You essentially said dogs were barn animals above, when there is substantial archeological evidence that clearly contradicts that.

You don't like dogs, and you don't want them in your store. I get it, and its fine with me as well. However some of your other comments are factually incorrect.
That’s same archeology tells us these stones were carved and fitted using nothing but a hammer and chisel.
Just because there were dog bones found in a hut or cave somewhere doesn’t mean that the dog lived there. It just means it died there, everything else is speculation.

Anybody that grew up on a farm, that includes me, will tell you that they don’t look at animals the same way city folks do.
People that actually were around animals, not just pets, know they can be unpredictable, they cannot be reasoned with and they do not belong living with humans.

IMG_3092.jpeg

With the exception of trained service dogs, I never want to see a dog in any business that sells or serves food.

In general, I'm ok with dogs in somewhere like HD or Tractor Supply. But some dogs don't belong in stores. And those exceptions are what make people not like dogs in stores.

Personally, I only take my dog to pet stores. I see no reason to take her into other stores. For me at least, having my dog with my while shopping in a hardware store, would be a distraction at the very least, and possibly also a real annoyance.

Yea, and about every modern study that says this, is paid for by the pet industry. Just saying.

Anybody that grew up on a farm, that includes me, will tell you that they don’t look at animals the same way city folks do.
People that actually were around animals, not just pets, know they can be unpredictable, they cannot be reasoned with and they do not belong living with humans.
This is true. Some animals are born completely bad/rotten... I've seen it in cattle, hogs, chicken, dog and cats. Usually they all have a variation in between. Some can take alot before snapping and a small number are truly good. My uncle's Husky though she's a complete sweet heart, but she's also ran away a couple times. Back in old days no farmer allowed animals in the house, unless it was for warming purposes. If they ever found bones in caves etc they probably left over from dinner.

That’s same archeology tells us these stones were carved and fitted using nothing but a hammer and chisel.
Just because there were dog bones found in a hut or cave somewhere doesn’t mean that the dog lived there. It just means it died there, everything else is speculation.

I grew up on a farm also, as did my wife. Our farms were both in the family so long our great, great grandparents got it via homestead - by taking an ox cart over the prairies until they found a place they liked. So, I don't actually believe you, unless perhaps you grew up on one of those modern industrial farms, because on the family farms I am used to, the family farm dog is pretty much ubiquitous.

There is nothing similar between a cow, sheep or chicken, and a family dog.

1707154881488.jpg

Back