Working on a new dog

@dlundblad
This is a Schnoodle
Father was a Miniature poodle, mother was a Miniature schnauzer.
I think the OP, even though he loves large dogs, will fine this dog INCREDIBLY, Strong, Sturdy, SMART. His bone structure is rock hard when you pick him up.

His wife will like it because as long as you get the miniature version will weigh about 30 pounds, they do not shed, they have hair like us, they do not drool.

When training you do have to affirm you are the master, they are so smart at first they will try to outsmart you. Once through the puppy stage you will have an INCREDIBLE loyal dog that will amaze you its whole life with its intelligence. He still amazes our family members, 14 years old and now blind, he plays with his toys every day, knows how to communicate with us when he has to go outside, NEVER has "mistakes" in the house. He will learn your routine to the minute. I dont know how. Even now, being blind, he knows morning and he knows when it's bed time and will still put himself to bed.

I never had a dog like this and never will again. He wont be with us much longer according to his doctor, though he doesnt know it or act like it but his heart valves are starting to fail. He most likely wont be with us for his 15th Christmas and maybe not his 15th Birthday in July. (Heart murmur) In case you haven't noticed I cant imagine him not being with us in the future. I know most feel that way about dogs, they are better than mankind.
(just research the poodle breed and schnauzer breed on what they were bred for, then mix them together :)
PS @Dave Hess Schnauzers are incredible dogs. I understand like you cant imagine when he is no longer with us.

They also have what is called a "standard" schnoodle and can weight up to around 80lbs. I think.

View attachment 203140P
Properly trained the photo below shows him waiting for the command to eat his home made cheese hamburger for his 11th birthday (check out his eyes on the burger*LOL*)

View attachment 203141
Loves the boat and water too
View attachment 203149View attachment 203150
Good looking dog. I like the poodle mixes, but the wife gets annoyed by their markup while being mutts. (Her words. We humbly disagree.)

We had friends with a labradoodle. She was a great dog. Friend to everyone including our dogs.

Good looking dog. I like the poodle mixes, but the wife gets annoyed by their markup while being mutts. (Her words. We humbly disagree.)

We had friends with a labradoodle. She was a great dog. Friend to everyone including our dogs.
Maybe look around a bit? Our purebred Standard Poodle was $300...not papered but don't care as her role is family pet and not competition.

Thank you, my wife and I for some reason have a bond with him like we never had before. Can't explain it, though I am sure many know what I mean.

Yeah, isn't that funny 😅 we used to call them mutts but now they are designer dogs and the prices have become nuts. Wife and I would joke about that.
Then if you think about it, just about every dog breed out there at some point in time was actually bred just like the doodles are now.
Every dog was bred with other dogs to come out with certain characteristics meaning pedigree's just didn't come out of the wild the way they are now.

I agree, to me they have become far too expensive. We bought ours from a breeder however, this breeder actually bred a special hunting dog, he got this litter and the parent dogs ( that we got to see)from another breeder friend who was giving up breeding, so our dog we refer to as a "clearance" puppy *LOL* that we got to pick out of the remaining litter.

Now 14 years later his cost is almost the same as today's shelter puppy adoption fees and the cost of new puppies blows me away.
He would be called a first generation, as his doctor pointed out, he has poodle legs with curly poodle hair on his legs and schnauzer body with smooth schnauzer hair on the back. Plus the almost schnauzer face. It's really amazing, once the doctor pointed it out he was spot on.

We love all dogs and where possible would love a shelter or rescue but we need to be a little more specific as my wife has allergies, not severe but can not have fur in the house, this is where doodles or at least schnoodles are terrific, no shedding for people with allergies. I think my wife and I shed more hair than the dog.

As far as I am concerned, if it's not apparent, there is no such thing as a bad dog, only bad humans. Dogs (and for others cats) are the greatest gift to mankind.

Last edited:
We love all dogs and where possible would love a shelter or rescue but we need to be a little more specific as my wife has allergies, not severe but can not have fur in the house, this is where doodles or at least schnoodles are terrific, no shedding for people with allergies. I think my wife and I shed more hair than the dog.
Some Poodle mixes can shed if they are 50% poodle or less...it's a mixed bag. The only way to "guarantee" no or minimal shedding is to get a 75%+ Poodle mix. We didn't want a shedding dog for cleanliness only, no allergies, which is how we ended up with a purebred since my thoughts were what's the point of getting such a heavy Poodle mix to guarantee no shedding when I can go all in 🤣 I'm particularly clean, like having a dog but she can't leave hair everywhere and can't do her business in the grass killing my lawn either lol.

She's our first Poodle and I've decided I'll have nothing else for the rest of my life for future dogs. Intelligent, athletic, loyal, alert, and on top of no shedding she never drools. Grooming is not for the faint of heart, however. Only other issue is she'd likely greet any intruder with glee.

Some Poodle mixes can shed if they are 50% poodle or less...it's a mixed bag. The only way to "guarantee" no or minimal shedding is to get a 75%+ Poodle mix. We didn't want a shedding dog for cleanliness only, no allergies, which is how we ended up with a purebred since my thoughts were what's the point of getting such a heavy Poodle mix to guarantee no shedding when I can go all in 🤣 I'm particularly clean, like having a dog but she can't leave hair everywhere and can't do her business in the grass killing my lawn either lol.

She's our first Poodle and I've decided I'll have nothing else for the rest of my life for future dogs. Intelligent, athletic, loyal, alert, and on top of no shedding she never drools. Grooming is not for the faint of heart, however. Only other issue is she'd likely greet any intruder with glee.
Great point!
Maybe something I didnt make clear. Sometimes I forget all the doodle type dogs that came out since our dog was born 14 years ago, going on 15 hopefully.
We got a schnoddle because of concern it may stir up my wife's allergies.

Schnauzers and Poodles do not shed, mix the two together and you have a Schnoodle and will not shed, they have hair like humans and why I posted I think my wife and I drop more hair around the house than the dog. My wife does groom our dog, since it is like hair and doesnt shed it needs to be cut on a monthly basis. Same as with Schnauzers and Poodles if you wish to have them groomed.
Also Schnauzers and Poodles are very intelligent and why you need to be diligent when puppies training them or they will train you. *LOL* Most of all they love being with you.

Any Schnauzer or Poodle if mixed with a dog that sheds would be nothing but a crap shoot in the gene pool no matter the percentage of the mix. The dominant gene will determine that.

Last edited:
I grew up with big dogs. Didn't like "yippy" little dogs.

Wife wanted yippy little dog. Got a Bijon. Then a second Shih Tzu.

There AWESOME!. Little dogs are extremely affectionate and loyal to their owners. They often are fearful of other humans so I think if you never owned one you miss that part. I did.

There eyes are comparatively big, and are experts at begging - its how their breeds survived for millennia.
We didn't get small dogs either, until we had one. Ours was a Pug. Only way to go! I had no idea.

I ❤️ English Mastiff's. I almost got one after losing my Dane, but found another Lab that needed a home at that time. I would still like to have one in my lifetime & a Cane Corso aka Italian mastiff. I've had 2-4 dogs in my company every day of my life since I was a boy. I've had so many breeds, & lots of others I still would like. It gets hard to have over 4 as family members & maintain harmony. Right now I've got a Lab & 2 Boston's. Never had small dogs before the Boston's, & they fill a void in my heart I never knew I had. I'd love to know what you end up deciding on.

Back