Does it bug you people taking their dogs shopping in stores?

Many of those youths are just following in their parent's footsteps.
There are a lot of good kids out there as well.
I agree to an extent but there is also the idea of observing what others are doing around you and one can in the vast majority of instances see that adults don't ride in shopping carts and able bodied people don't use the powered handicap carts.

The thing being missed, at least to me it seems, is this isn't about how well behaved the dogs are or whether I or other like/don't like dogs, why are people taking any dog into a store? When did that become a thing or acceptable to do for any dogs beyond service animals (and not your Amazon "service animal" thing you put on your non-service animal haha)? I also support any business to make their own decisions and if they want dogs, cool, those that don't want to deal with that can avoid those businesses but I suspect many of these stores etc. don't actually allow pets but folks do it anyway (b/c the rules don't apply to your/your pet) which is crappy b/c the kid making $10/hour isn't going to go cause drama asking you to leave/follow the rules.
But… Mr Wigglesworth cannot be left at home all by his lonesome… me and lil puppers goes everywhere together. #petparent

As I was leaving Walmart the other day the receipt checker told the folks in front of us that the dog is not allowed inside the cart. I'd not thought about that before & now that I know it's being done that is pretty gross. We use the hand wipes for the front of the carts each time & I liked what WM was doing during the pandemic. They were spraying the carts down with some sort of germ spray I'd imagine. I've never seen them do that any other time which makes you wonder how clean are these carts to begin with.

I'm all for service dogs.

I like dogs more than people so I’m probably the wrong person to ask. Lol.

Most dogs you see in stores are quieter than children too. 🤫
I’m not a dog person, but you’re right, most if not all of the dogs I’ve seen have been well behaved. Can’t say that of all the kids (or even adults) I’ve seen.

I still don’t like it but since the dogs don’t actually “do” anything to me, I just ignore it. To some degree I’m more bugged by the need to carry a water bottle or other hydration thing with us wherever we go—and that one I’m guilty of too!

I am a dog person and personally have no issue - never met a dog I didn't like. However I certainly see why some people would be offended, and hence we don't take our dogs in to stores. Well, that, and one would want to make friends with everyone and the other would bark at anything that moved especially if momma was along, so there is that.

At the end of the day its up to the private store's owners on their policy. 2/3 of households now own pets. Many more like pets but don't have any for whatever reason. So there going to cater to the larger demographic. Just shop somewhere else.

I see a lot of comments on fake service dogs. While I completely agree - its like non-handicapped people parking in the handicap zone - its really hard to tell. For example over 1% of the population has epilepsy, and they have epilepsy dogs that can sense an oncoming seizure usually several minutes before. They have no idea how, but the trained ones are pretty much 100% accurate.

So don't assume that every able bodied person walking around with a service dog is faking it.

The shelters here in northern California are packed as well and it's going to get a lot worse. Thanks to TV and movies more and more people are becoming aware of Malinois to the point I can get a pup for less than $200 bucks. About 1/3 of the shelters here are some type of shepherd breed as it is and if they can't handle GSDs your average person sure as heck cannot raise a mal.

Most people shouldn't have dogs
I have had a really nice GSD, 3 Dalmatians [Horses seem to like Dals] a most amazing Yellow Lab , a Border collie ,black Lab mut that was a psycho and a Border collie and as obstinate as a lab could ever be [ my wife wanted a Corgi for years and now we have Corgi [I prefer larger dogs] she got a working Corgi and the wife takes the Corgi to agility trials and herds the neighbors cows and Guinea hens with the dog on occasions. The Corgi is scary smart and I will honestly say Corgis are stubby leg Hyenas. Every dog was wonderful but then I really like dogs and Mom had Poodles. I would not have a problem dispatching a dog that was going to attack me

Last edited:
Don’t get me started on dogs allowed in hotels. I travel for work and half the time I’m woken by a dog barking. Maybe we should start allowing cats too. That way they can use the hotel bed as a litter box.
As a proud, dog, hotel traveler when we road trip in the summer, we have to have hotels that allow dogs. However, our dog rarely barks. Drunk people yelling and running around hotels should be banned as I'm woken by that much more often than a dog barking.

As a proud, dog, hotel traveler when we road trip in the summer, we have to have hotels that allow dogs. However, our dog rarely barks. Drunk people yelling and running around hotels should be banned as I'm woken by that much more often than a dog barking.
Traveled across the country several times (with a dog). Great travel companion. I've never had an issue with barking in a hotel. Drunks? Yep. A few times.

Several years ago I was at the mall waiting in the vestibule as it was raining to go to my car. A woman with a large it pit bull enters the mall and within walking 20 feet proceeds to go into an epileptic seizure. The dog comforted the woman as we proceeded to call for an ambulance. The dog didn't have any vest on but was clearly her service dog. This changed my opinion of dogs being allowed in stores.

Law enforcement is in a no win situation in enforcing service dog bans. Imagine a Police officer going to arrest/ ticket someone that has a dog in park, store etc and upon confrontation the person proceeds to have a medical emergency. It's just not worth the aggravation.

I don't want to be part of someone's dog training and I don't enjoy having my butt sniffed in the nuts and bolt aisle.

Animals are unpredictable. I know many doctors an one horror story was when a golden ripped a toddlers genitals off. "He won't hurt nobody."

Maybe my experience is different, maybe there is some PTSD, and I will defend my self if an animal comes too close to me in a store, stiff verbal warning or I walk away.

Dog lovers, if your beast sneaks up on me or a family member at HD and I'm in the hammer aisle, it ain't gonna be pretty, sorry not sorry.

I have been chased by dogs before, I have been bit by dogs before, and have defended my self against them. Most are all bark no bite, previous kicks in the snout have been successful.

I have called animal control multiple times and IDK what these officers say to the owners but it what ever they did, those owners hide those dogs now lol.

What the hell?!

How do you twist a dog at Home's Depot on a least 2ft from the owner into a kid getting his weiner ripped off?! Sheez!

Hey man, chill out, I mean, everyone loves dogs when they go shopping so clearly this kind of thing shouldn't bother anyone b/c "imagine being upset about dogs in public" as someone above said. When did taking your dog into a store even become something anyone would consider doing? About the only one I get is the Petco etc. b/c they say it's welcome and it's a pet store. Home Depot...seriously? You can't leave your dog at home to get light bulbs? Also this just in, dogs are not humans. Ok, better go feed Izzy The Dog....haha
I bring my dog to Home's Depot because the workers all love seeing him.
My dog somehow attracts more women than a Tupperware party.

As I was leaving Walmart the other day the receipt checker told the folks in front of us that the dog is not allowed inside the cart. I'd not thought about that before & now that I know it's being done that is pretty gross. We use the hand wipes for the front of the carts each time & I liked what WM was doing during the pandemic. They were spraying the carts down with some sort of germ spray I'd imagine. I've never seen them do that any other time which makes you wonder how clean are these carts to begin with.

I'm all for service dogs.
The carts sit outside, get dirt, rain, snow, bird poops, etc. Oh well.

Hardly the worst I touch on the daily.

What the hell?!

How do you twist a dog at Home's Depot on a least 2ft from the owner into a kid getting his weiner ripped off?! Sheez!
Just to show how a breed not known for being violent can cause severe injury. Any dog can really, that's why some of us don't want to be around other peoples dogs.

Just to show how a breed not known for being violent can cause severe injury. Any dog can really, that's why some of us don't want to be around other peoples dogs.
Kid probably wacked him or something.

Had a lab do that after I told the kid to leave him alone. He was in MY shop on a leash, kidwentbehind the counter and was "pettinf" him. More like wacking him on the head.

Kid got a spanking by his folks for not listening.

Back