Mustard on a Chicago hot dog- the rest of the story

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
There was a request to move this post from the photo section to the food section.

Chicago Hot Dog Vendor, 2008: This is Mark. He's a bit more than just a hot dog vendor. In association with Vienna sausage, he runs a school that teaches others how to be a hot dog vendor. I met him when I was thinking about getting a cart and selling dogs after I retired, which I decided not to do.

View attachment 179118

Kim & Carlos's Hot Dog Stand, Chicago 2001: Here's Kim offering a dog and a big smile at her stand near the Museum of Natural History.

View attachment 179120
@Shel_B , you do know the mustard only on Chicago dogs was a information operation campaign by the people of Indiana during the tomatoe shortages during the early 1900s. Indiana was the largest producers in the region of tomatoes at that time, and there was a shortage of tomatoes and Chicago was growing like crazy, taking all the tomatoes.

The quiet people of Indiana ran one of the earliest information operation campaigns related to food. The Indiana campaign convinced the people of Chicago that mustard goes on a hot dog, not ketchup. Results were the people of Indiana were able to stop the export of a large percentage of tomatoes to Chicago, thus keep tomatoes and ketchup in ample supply in Indiana.

And now you know the rest of the story....

I might be the only person on the planet that doesn’t put mustard on a hot dog! My wife thinks it’s an unpardonable sin to eat a hotdog without mustard. To my tastebuds, the mustard overpowers every other condiment on a hotdog. Just chili and a few chopped onions for me.

I might be the only person on the planet that doesn’t put mustard on a hot dog! My wife thinks it’s an unpardonable sin to eat a hotdog without mustard. To my tastebuds, the mustard overpowers every other condiment on a hotdog. Just chili and a few chopped onions for me.
At least you don't put ketchup on a hotdog. That is some straight-up communist stuff.

I'm not a big hotdog fan. Will eat sometimes if grilled and they have no burgers.
Chili and onions make a big difference to me and I chow down! Love chili dogs.

Bunch of picky wimps! A great hot dog has to be fully dressed! Ketchup, mustard, relish, chopped onions, a couple small tomato slices, sliced banana peppers, and a kosher pickle wedge on the side. I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Oh, yeah. Sometimes add some sauerkraut.

My wife likes a chili dog. I can eat them, but that is so plain, compared to a fully dressed Chicago dog.

Chili and Onions, that's it. :love:
1695073524378.jpg

Bunch of picky wimps! A great hot dog has to be fully dressed! Ketchup, mustard, relish, chopped onions, a couple small tomato slices, sliced banana peppers, and a kosher pickle wedge on the side. I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Oh, yeah. Sometimes add some sauerkraut.

My wife likes a chili dog. I can eat them, but that is so plain, compared to a fully dressed Chicago dog.
Is there even room for the hotdog in the bun?

A great dog is a thin hot dog in natural casing, ketchup, ripe tomatoes, celery salt, very thin slice of crisp pickle, on a fresh poppyseed bun.....
I don't like those fat hotdogs either. Too much dog to hide under chili and onions. But I could eat it your way as well! ;)

Is there even room for the hotdog in the bun?
It is a job to keep it all together. Admittedly, I only get a fully dressed Chicago dog when I go to a baseball game. Most of the time I have to settle for mustard, ketchup, relish, banana peppers, and maybe some shredded cheese.

I'll eat it the way I want to and I won't lecture others about their choices . Some of the combinations ya'll describe are disgusting but if that's how you like it ..so be it . (y)

Back