Done with Discount Tires!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
edyvw,

Why not DT corporate office and complain about wanting newer tires.

That is certainly worth pursuing.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
God and goddess...this is ridiculous. This is full-blown paranoia.

If I were running that DT shop, I would do whatever I could to make sure you DID NOT return. No matter what, you will NEVER be satisfied...you are not worth the hassle.

lol.gif

And considering the previously linked 2016 thread experience an old adage comes to mind, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Though I can appreciate your thoughts here, IME since 2004 with local DT store management it would be extremely unlikely to non existent they would have such a response. Never have I been dealt with in an anything other than a professional manner.

Recent example, had the my Tacoma in for it's Cooper HTPs rotation and balance last week. I asked if they would also air up the spare while there, said no problem. I asked that because it is under truck bed and they have a single long tool that reaches the spare drop down bolt. Requires me to put together a couple rod pieces to reach it. Spare needed air too. Also checked my brake pads while the wheels were off. Had an appointment, done in ~30 mins. Typical very satisfactory DT visit IME.

First winter tires don't have age issues. That's because heat is the tire killer.

Second, is that the tire industry thinks that unused tires as old as 3 years are the same as freshly made. The company I worked for has data to prove that.

Storage horiziontally? Not a problem. You can only stack them so high on a pallet. Look at the background on the front page of the Tire Rack website. Those are the type of pallets used throughout the tire industry. Where the problem comes in is when the tire is mounted on a wheel. Wheels add considerable weight and distortion is possible. Unmounted tires are fairly light by comparison.

However, Discount Tire handled this pretty badly. If they couldn't satisfy the request, they should have said so. If they thought they could, but it turned out differently, they should have been up front about it.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
So manager in DT says he will order directly from manufacturer so they are fresh.

So edyvw made his expectations clear to the tire store from the beginning of the transaction. They seem to have lied to him, or at least not checked to make sure that the tires were indeed new. Then they lied again when they told him that "winter tires are only made in January".

I'm siding with OP.

This is a website where we come to dither about inanities such as "how soon should I change my factory oil?", "should I change my oil hot or cold?", "are the engineers lying about oil viscosity to meet CAFE?", etc... and we're giving THIS GUY grief for his thread?!?

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
First winter tires don't have age issues. That's because heat is the tire killer.

I have General Altimax Arctic for winter. I only put on about 1-2K miles on them each winter. After the first 3-4 years they stopped providing the same snow traction as they used to, despite still having most of their tread remaining. If it's not a rubber age issue, then what else can be causing this?

Yeah their service writer sounds a little amateurish or confused. He should have talked less and just asked what he could do to make it right. I've run into these guys that try to spread their "expertise" and just dig a hole. Overheard one arguing syn vs conventional oil when he was just confusing the customer when he was just trying to affirm the customer's desire and make a sale.

They didn't stock his particular tire at that store so brought it in on a "hub run" from a DT warehouse or possibly one run by the tire importer. Service writer misspoke that it came from the "manufacturer" when in fact it came from "away".

They do run out of snow tires as winter drags on, noone wants millions of dollars worth of inventory sitting around. This is a problem when you get a flat on an AWD vehicle in February and they have to substitute something slightly different, which leads to visions of burnt up center differentials. Every tire dealer is run like a business and has this problem! "They only come in in January" is a very perverse way of explaining this, though.

I just got new tires for my 2006 Chevy Aveo at 215K miles. I had replace a pothole damaged tire about 8 years ago with a Douglas Performer. The remaining three OEM tires wore out so I replaced all of them and kept the Douglas in the garage. It had about 80% tread.

The Douglas wasn't a super high mileage tire to begin with and it was used as I said. So I went on Walmart.com and ordered 3 of the absolute cheapest Chinese tires available. $33 each. These were the cheapest. Westlake brand as I recall. Had them mounted and balanced for $44 total so I'm under $150 running new tires. (At least 3 brand new tires.)

The Hankook's I replaced had 60K miles and were really getting smooth. Went good on dry, but other than that, not to swift. These Chinese ones are fabulous. Quiet, smooth, and go great in the snow so far. Only time will tell.

For full disclosure I will state that I'm not a performance driver. I'm an economy driver. I try to make things last rather than wear them out. It's been working for me for a long time now. YMMV

The Nokian Hakkas on our van were mounted in 2006 on their rims. Used 4-5 months per year. They are still ok, if a bit noisy. That’s 11 winters now. No cracks or issues. Store them properly in the summer and their life is longer than 5 years.

In my opinion you are over reacting. If the production date of the tires is that important to you, they should've been checked by you before allowing them to be installed regardless of what the guy who sold them to you said he would do in regards to getting the recent manufactured tires available. As long as there are no defects that causes them to not preform as they should, you should receive nothing further. Move on.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1

This is a website where we come to dither about inanities such as "how soon should I change my factory oil?", "should I change my oil hot or cold?", "are the engineers lying about oil viscosity to meet CAFE?", etc... and we're giving THIS GUY grief for his thread?!?

We all have different comfort levels. Some will run tires til cords show and wouldn't think of tossing tires that age out with tread left. Others are more safety conscious are aren't concerned about the last mile & dollar. Different points of view expressed. OP had expectations based on what he was told but he didn't verify. Going to corporate DT with a civil well-expressed argument would be well worth the effort, nothing to lose. DT seems to have customer satisfaction a high priority as company policy but local managers can vary.

I think I'd quit recommending DT but because of the situation I probably wouldn't trash them.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I have General Altimax Arctic for winter. I only put on about 1-2K miles on them each winter. After the first 3-4 years they stopped providing the same snow traction as they used to, despite still having most of their tread remaining. If it's not a rubber age issue, then what else can be causing this?

Remember that winter tires aren't equally good in snow throughout their whole tread depth. Snow traction diminishes past 5-6/32 (and some winter tires even have a second set of wear bars at that tread depth indicating they're not as good in snow).

And some winter tires only have the special soft winter compound for the top 5/32, with a harder all-season compound underneath.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Remember that winter tires aren't equally good in snow throughout their whole tread depth. Snow traction diminishes past 5-6/32 (and some winter tires even have a second set of wear bars at that tread depth indicating they're not as good in snow).

And some winter tires only have the special soft winter compound for the top 5/32, with a harder all-season compound underneath.

Like I mentioned, they still had MOST of their tread remaining. We are talking 10-11/32 left out of the original 12/32 at that point where I noticed their snow traction notably diminished. That was at about 3-4 year mark.

Now, at 8 year mark, they are down to 8/32, and their snow traction is very poor, but of course I am not expecting winter tires to last forever. Still, their winter performance drop at 3-4 years surprised me.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

We all have different comfort levels. Some will run tires til cords show and wouldn't think of tossing tires that age out with tread left. Others are more safety conscious are aren't concerned about the last mile & dollar. Different points of view expressed. OP had expectations based on what he was told but he didn't verify. Going to corporate DT with a civil well-expressed argument would be well worth the effort, nothing to lose. DT seems to have customer satisfaction a high priority as company policy but local managers can vary.

I think I'd quit recommending DT but because of the situation I probably wouldn't trash them.

Is telling the truth trashing or just letting other consumers know what to expect? Silence is consent.

I really missed the boat..

I've never read the date code on any tire I've ever owned!

OTOH, I couldn't tell you the last time I had an issue with a tire other than it being worn out or getting an unrepairable flat.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

Second, is that the tire industry thinks that unused tires as old as 3 years are the same as freshly made. The company I worked for has data to prove that.

Storage horiziontally? Not a problem. You can only stack them so high on a pallet. Look at the background on the front page of the Tire Rack website. Those are the type of pallets used throughout the tire industry. Where the problem comes in is when the tire is mounted on a wheel. Wheels add considerable weight and distortion is possible. Unmounted tires are fairly light by comparison.

However, Discount Tire handled this pretty badly. If they couldn't satisfy the request, they should have said so. If they thought they could, but it turned out differently, they should have been up front about it.

Really?
So tire does not go thru chemical process where rubber degrades and start absorbing moisture? Geeez.
Storing horizontally is not problem because of ho many you can store it on top. It s because they are not on a wheel and in that position they can sustain physical damage. Tire o the wheel=horizontally, without=vertically. Period.

That is...incoherent.

Tires are stored horizontally. Period. They sit in warehouses that way, they are shipped that way, they sit in tire shops that way. The sky is NOT falling!

Normally I would say OP is overreacting, but last time I was in DT they had a sign saying they wouldn't service tires that were over a certain age or under a certain tread depth. iirc it was 4/32" and 6 years. Could be a regional thing since my area is probably the harshest area in the country for tires.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: AZjeff

Is telling the truth trashing or just letting other consumers know what to expect? Silence is consent.

As long as telling the truth includes not doing due diligence on his part.

I've had nothing but stellar service from my local DT. His experience sounds like a problem with the manager at that particular DT. The situation wouldn't exist if he had asked to see the date codes. Does anyone think anyone at that DT looked at the date on those 4 tires and conspired to deceive him? He hasn't tried all options to get it fixed yet. I think DT will fix it when he talks to the right person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back