Dunlop Wintermaxx tires

Finally got to use them in "real" snow, this used set that I got (bought more for the rims but the tires came with them). Date code is from 2020 and 8/32's tread. Tire noise isn't bad--but it's a Corolla, so tire noise is a given. It just didn't get that much worse. Daily driving has been fine, but... it's a Corolla, it gets driven sedately. 205/60R15 size.

But I'm not loving them in snow. I'm reminded of when I tried out the first generation Nokian WR's. Just not as good as Hakka's in snow. I know these are going to handle ice just fine, slush just fine, but apparently my taste runs towards deep snow handling, I guess. That or this Corolla isn't so good in snow? My old Camry felt like a tank in snow, with oversized snow tires (went from 195/70R14 to 205/60R16 I think?) by comparison (it wasn't, my daughter proved that those old snows didn't have the required grip on ice), so maybe it's just a power and right foot problem. Just feel like the traction control light comes on more than it ought, and I detect more wheelspin than I think ought to be there. No real problems on braking and that's the big one.

Anyhow, just my quick review. Not sure I would buy again, but might be just fine on my kids cars (as they don't drive much in the snow, at least right now). YMMV, as always.

WORDS FOR SNOW IN SWEDISH: 25

WORDS FOR SNOW IN ICELANDIC: 46

Drop the tyre pressure and fill up the gas-tank maybe? Traction on "snow" depends on so many factors.
Do you expect 3-4 year old winters to be at full performance?

Finally got to use them in "real" snow, this used set that I got (bought more for the rims but the tires came with them). Date code is from 2020 and 8/32's tread. Tire noise isn't bad--but it's a Corolla, so tire noise is a given. It just didn't get that much worse. Daily driving has been fine, but... it's a Corolla, it gets driven sedately. 205/60R15 size.

But I'm not loving them in snow. I'm reminded of when I tried out the first generation Nokian WR's. Just not as good as Hakka's in snow. I know these are going to handle ice just fine, slush just fine, but apparently my taste runs towards deep snow handling, I guess. That or this Corolla isn't so good in snow? My old Camry felt like a tank in snow, with oversized snow tires (went from 195/70R14 to 205/60R16 I think?) by comparison (it wasn't, my daughter proved that those old snows didn't have the required grip on ice), so maybe it's just a power and right foot problem. Just feel like the traction control light comes on more than it ought, and I detect more wheelspin than I think ought to be there. No real problems on braking and that's the big one.

Anyhow, just my quick review. Not sure I would buy again, but might be just fine on my kids cars (as they don't drive much in the snow, at least right now). YMMV, as always.
Not sure if there has been any changes, but I was selling this model of tire over 10 years ago, when I was still working at a Goodyear store, while going to college. Also at 4 years the performance may have degraded as the rubber hardens.

Also at 4 years the performance may have degraded as the rubber hardens.
Eh, on ice that matters, but in snow and slush? more of a groove problem, getting the snow packed into ridges that then give bite. At 8/32's these are half worn, and the best half is always the first half.

Might be the fault of the CVT, too much torque in this car. :ROFLMAO: Touch the throttle, it gears down to get revs up. Older conventional, not so much. One wheel peel, takes too long for traction control to kick in.

Eh, on ice that matters, but in snow and slush? more of a groove problem, getting the snow packed into ridges that then give bite. At 8/32's these are half worn, and the best half is always the first half.

Might be the fault of the CVT, too much torque in this car. :ROFLMAO: Touch the throttle, it gears down to get revs up. Older conventional, not so much. One wheel peel, takes too long for traction control to kick in.
Yeah I agree with that. My duratracs are still great in snow but just like the previous set, they are terrible on ice and even rain after 3 years or less.
Anyway, I am thinking there are probably better options as technology has improved tires since these came out.

It's likely a combination of factors those dunlops were not the best(or even top 5) when they were new and fresh..
They were also developed at a time that ice traction was everything to the detriment of snow traction IMO.
I really like the viking contact 7's on the 2020 Elantra.

Last edited:
It's likely a combination of factors those dunlops were not the best(or even top 5) when they were new and fresh..
They were also developed at a time that ice traction was everything to the detriment of snow traction IMO.
I really like the viking contact 7's on the 2020 Elantra.
I remember we had the Goodyear ultra grip and the ultra grip ice. We would ask if the customer cared more about snow or ice traction. I sold more of those than the winter max but I think they were sometimes the cheapest one besides the sailuns and could meet a price point while still selling a name brand.

I sold way more sailuns despite us being a Goodyear dealer though.

Dunlop got cheapened out by Good Year last 15yrs. 20+yrs ago in Europe their snow tires were among the best.
I liked my dunlop M3's (predecessor to the 3D)
they did after 2 winters of greatgo to sliding through intersections on winter 3

Back