More Discount Tire frustrations

Some of you can defend DT if you want, or wrongly blame my brother, I don't care, but this encounter with DT was stupid beyond belief. If DT is THAT SCARED to pump some air in a tire and check it, they should just close shop. OMG you can't be terrified of everything if you want to stay in buisness. 16 PSI would have been OK but 14 PSI causes panic at DT? Then DT tells us to air same tire up and come back??? Stoopid.

Well that's a new one for me... Not enough air to fill?

The last 5-6 visits to Discount Tire have been poor, I do not plan on going back
Wow! I've been lucky I guess. The same store manager at DT near my house. Always fair when I had a warrant issue or pro rating tires when the full life wasn't reached. Heck he even matched the price tire rack had on Toyo R888 racing tires for my Mazda with no issues.

Some of you can defend DT if you want, or wrongly blame my brother, I don't care, but this encounter with DT was stupid beyond belief. If DT is THAT SCARED to pump some air in a tire and check it, they should just close shop. OMG you can't be terrified of everything if you want to stay in buisness. 16 PSI would have been OK but 14 PSI causes panic at DT? Then DT tells us to air same tire up and come back??? Stoopid.
Well they have to follow procedure...
I recommend throwing in a hand pump into every vehicle, then you don't have to wait, or mess around with this silliness, or drive on a low tire finding a pump... Get one with a larger diameter and its not too bad getting a tire up to pressure unless its like a large light truck tire. Then you will have large triceps at least!

I have an air pump with separate and accurate gauge in ALL of my vehicles and don’t trust any tire tech inflating tires to proper PSI pressure.

No need to go to gas station or Tire Kingdom, Discount Tire, etc…. to properly inflate your tires.
Me too, have for years.

IME those "cheap" 12V compressors are good for about half a tire, so you're really talking about a $100.00 or more compressor which is a little much for every car if you have more than a couple...

However - yes my experience is that convenience store pair compressors are rare and working ones are even rarer.

I suggested exactly that. They cited "safety reasons" not allowing them to do that. What???
Ah, this is where their legal department came in. Too many of their "special" employees have blown tires up in their faces by using a regular air hose with no gauge. So, now that's prohibited.

Ah, this is where their legal department came in. Too many of their "special" employees have blown tires up in their faces by using a regular air hose with no gauge. So, now that's prohibited.
Or, lets say the OP drove on a low tire long enough to damage it internally. If DT then fills the tire only to have it disintegrate 5 miles down the road and cause death and/or mayhem, you know who people are going to sue once they find out the chain of events.

IME those "cheap" 12V compressors are good for about half a tire, so you're really talking about a $100.00 or more compressor which is a little much for every car if you have more than a couple...
I use a Fanttik compressor which will do a bunch of tires on one charge (it charges from the USB power in the car). But yeah, it's about $100. It's a much more robust unit than the typical 12V inflators.

Or, lets say the OP drove on a low tire long enough to damage it internally. If DT then fills the tire only to have it disintegrate 5 miles down the road and cause death and/or mayhem, you know who people are going to sue once they find out the chain of events.
So explain to me the logic of filling it up at a C-store and coming back?

Besides this was a RR trailer tire. Even a total blowout would not cause "death and mayhem" by any stretch. The trailer was already essentially supported by its RF tire.

This. Too many lawyers too little common sense at DT. ANY tire can blow, even if its brand new, high quality and perfectly installed.

Like I said, if DT is THAT TERRIFIED to pump air in a low tire they need to close up shop. 16 psi is OK but 14 psi is a lawsuit? They are fooling themselves if this one policy will prevent them from being sued.

So explain to me the logic of filling it up at a C-store and coming back?
There would be no logic. Once I filled the tire at a C-store, I'm going on my way, which is what I assume you did. But if someone DID do that, at least DT could say THEY were not the ones who filled a low and potentially damaged tire. I'm not defending DT's polices, just trying to understand them.

Back