Done with Discount Tires!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have only yourself to blame. You posted this on 5/2016:

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Got membership for same reason. But not bcs good deals, but because DOT on tires is ALWAYS like 2-3 weeks old, unlike DT where you can get tire several years old.

They tried to sell me for Tiguan in 2013 tire that was made in 2011. I returned tire and said: unless tire is 6 months or younger, I am not buying it. They found it and install it.
However, in Costco you do not have to mention that. I bought in Costco 8 sets of tires and none was older then a month.

Ace detective here
smile.gif

Edyvw you are right about not having 2 yr old tires being put on a vehicle driven by the lady and child in there as well.

Ohh and good to see you on here again buddy. Hope you had a good Thanksgiving. Plus I hope you've hit the slopes already too.

I will run tire casings 10 years from mfg date...winter or all season doesn't matter. Useage is on things that work for a living..no issues. I think you will be fine.

God and goddess...this is ridiculous. This is full-blown paranoia.

If I were running that DT shop, I would do whatever I could to make sure you DID NOT return. No matter what, you will NEVER be satisfied...you are not worth the hassle.

You are trying to make way too much of an issue out of this than it is. Modern tire rubber ages much better than it did decades ago. There is no reason to retire them within the time period you stated, merely do some traction tests and inspect for cracks every once in a while after they've been in use for 5 years, OR if the vehicle is left sitting stationary for long periods.

Yes you have the right to be annoyed and choose not to go back to DT, but if you did not emphasize that the manufacture date was so important nor have them checked before installation, then you are a little to blame for the outcome.

I'd be fighting them too.

Definitely strange how they don't make winter tires until January, when your current tires were made in August 2015.

"Whenever you're dissatisfied with when of our tires, please feel free to bring it back" -DT

Snow tires in Colorado lol. Live in Casper Wyo. and use snowmobile instead then no tire worries. Look on the bright side, if you wont go back and they wont take you back then its a Win/Win. Learn and move on.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

"Whenever you're dissatisfied with when of our tires, please feel free to bring it back" -DT

We may or may not do anything for you...

Truly sorry for your troubles. I've rejected 9 month old tires here, before the truck went in the bay. Unfortunately you share the blame for not checking when it's important to you. You should have no trouble selling lightly used tires when you replace them so the hit won't be so bad.

Edyvw,
beside Costco, do you have any other trusted shop in the area?

And I'm afraid that DT it is the McDonald. I just used the local one to mount some winter tires, and yes, only one guy over 35....
If my local shop would not have their machine out......

And I get your point, it is not about tires or money, is about customer service and following what the customer ask for.....

I think you are overreacting or your expectations are too high.
2.5 yo tires are not that old but seller should have not made promises that they cannot keep.

Krzys

Unfortunately you should have refused them before they installed them. If the industry considers those tires legal for sale as "new" tires, you're out of luck. The lesson here is check them first, and if for any reason you aren't happy don't have them installed.

Now if you have the desire and want to press the issue on what you were told when they ordered the tires, and put up a good enough fight you might get a few $$ off.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
You have only yourself to blame. You posted this on 5/2016:

Got membership for same reason. But not bcs good deals, but because DOT on tires is ALWAYS like 2-3 weeks old, unlike DT where you can get tire several years old.

They tried to sell me for Tiguan in 2013 tire that was made in 2011. I returned tire and said: unless tire is 6 months or younger, I am not buying it. They found it and install it.
However, in Costco you do not have to mention that. I bought in Costco 8 sets of tires and none was older then a month.

Yep, it is my fault here too. No doubt. Convenience of being just down the road and wide network in case something else happens on the road.
But this is it, I am done. I am more [censored] that I recommended DT to my coworkers.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
edyvw,

How many months of snow in Colorado ?

Luckily no snow tires needed down here.

I ski twice a week from mid October until June.
I always need good snow tires. Here in the Springs or Denver Michelin X-ice are best since snow comes and goes fast and it is always sunny. However, in high country you really need capable tire that can go thru deep snow. I ski in blizzards or storms, I just love that.

Originally Posted By: krzyss
I think you are overreacting or your expectations are too high.
2.5 yo tires are not that old but seller should have not made promises that they cannot keep.

Krzys

I specifically asked for fresh tires and seller emphasized they will order from manufacturer. So, it is either DT or Nokian. And if you cannot make it happen, then f..... say it. I would buy something else.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Edyvw,
beside Costco, do you have any other trusted shop in the area?

And I'm afraid that DT it is the McDonald. I just used the local one to mount some winter tires, and yes, only one guy over 35....
If my local shop would not have their machine out......

And I get your point, it is not about tires or money, is about customer service and following what the customer ask for.....

I did not buy since here from anyone else but Costco and DT. But I guess I am going back to Costco.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
You seem like the reason people go to five star restaurants and smell corks when the maitre d brings out some fancy wine.

They don't let you do this at McDonalds.

Discount Tire is more like McDonalds. It's in their name. "Discount".

Your tires are fine. Stop whining. And yeah the time to refuse them is before they mount them to your car, if you care that much.

crackmeup2.gif

I was thinking the same thing...this things we stress out about around here on BITOG.....

Way overthinking this...for all we know, the car could be gone before you need to replace the tires anyways. Nokian makes great tires, and if the tires are cared for, I'm sure you can get more than 5-6 years on them anyways!

This coming from someone who left a set of Goodyear tires on a car for nearly 10 years...only replacing them due to the fact they were getting kinda squishy......Granted, my car was stored in the shade for a goo part of it's life.

Sure they will be fine...wouldn't bother sweating it....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back