Done with Discount Tires!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
First winter tires don't have age issues. That's because heat is the tire killer.

I have General Altimax Arctic for winter. I only put on about 1-2K miles on them each winter. After the first 3-4 years they stopped providing the same snow traction as they used to, despite still having most of their tread remaining. If it's not a rubber age issue, then what else can be causing this?

That is THE POINT!
Obviously some people here think that I am concern with whether tread belt is going to separate or steal belts are going to collapse. NO!
I know tires could do 10 years like that. Point is performance!
I bought top notch winter tire for a reason! If I wanted something else, if I was satisfied with something else, I would not pay $145 for 215/65 R16 tire, I would pay some $80 for Firestone Winterforce or General Altimax or Cooper os some other cheaper tire. I bought Nokian Hakka R2 because they are per testimonies and tests best in slush and my wife is not best driver in dry, and is dead afraid of snow (although she grew up in Chicago).
So, I am [censored], because I know that tire looses performance over time regardless whether it is mounted or not!
That is why I asked for FRESH tire. I left in that store in last 3 years probably $3000 for tires, so while I get argument that I should check, they should also pay attention. I hate that thing: I am customer I am always right. But i was just too tired that night (my 16 month old has stomach bug since Thanxgiving and constant issues, so I am sleep deprived). So the last thing on my mind was that after emphasizing that I want fresh tire, that I will get 2 1/2 year old tire.

Last edited:
Give your local DT head office a call. Ask them what tire age they refuse to service for your region.

If it's say 6 years, THEN explain your issue. Don't blow your cover and say it before they give you an answer..

*** Nokian Hakka R2 *** What does the manufacturer say?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude
..... last time I was in DT they had a sign saying they wouldn't service tires that were over a certain age or under a certain tread depth. iirc it was 4/32" and 6 years. Could be a regional thing since my area is probably the harshest area in the country for tires.

No similar store signs at local DTs in this area. Store lobby tread depth chart with employee explanation seems SOP locally, but no posted depth/year ultimatum.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

And some winter tires only have the special soft winter compound for the top 5/32, with a harder all-season compound underneath.

What tires are those? Something new? I've never heard of that?

Please post a tire that has a soft winter tire compound over an all-season compound.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
I left in that store in last 3 years probably $3000 for tires, so while I get argument that I should check, they should also pay attention.

You think an employee should check the date code on every tire that comes in the store or just yours? You're a tire whale?

It sounds like your life is too full to be messing around with this. Maybe run the tires until you're uncomfortable with them, get fresh ones from the tire shop of your choice, and sell the lightly useds ones on Craigslist for a decent price right before winter. The difference is what it cost you for not checking. Or maybe you should take the hit right now and get fresh tires, if your wife has any kind of little problem you're going to blame those DT tires.

Hope you get it worked out and move on.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
I left in that store in last 3 years probably $3000 for tires, so while I get argument that I should check, they should also pay attention.

You think an employee should check the date code on every tire that comes in the store or just yours? You're a tire whale?

It sounds like your life is too full to be messing around with this. Maybe run the tires until you're uncomfortable with them, get fresh ones from the tire shop of your choice, and sell the lightly useds ones on Craigslist for a decent price right before winter. The difference is what it cost you for not checking. Or maybe you should take the hit right now and get fresh tires, if your wife has any kind of little problem you're going to blame those DT tires.

As far as the date code on tires, it is Required by Law, that all tire retailers must provide the DOT number with the receipt, or register it electronically. So yes, they are supposed to look at the DOT code every single tire sold. If they have a problem, it's the only way of tracking the tire by it's production date.

Last edited:

YES they should look at it. How they know tire is not 5-6 years old?
Order was specifically for fresh tires. They took money, said they will do it, so f...... do it!
Sure, I will move on. Will keep tires until after winter 2019/2020 however will make sure every time ad shows up on Facebook to comment about this (same goes for Nokian ads) and let know all my friends about it. I probably sent 10 people to this particular store. So not worth checking DOT? Not worth on fallowing thru with promise they made and took money for? Fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Give your local DT head office a call. Ask them what tire age they refuse to service for your region.

If it's say 6 years, THEN explain your issue. Don't blow your cover and say it before they give you an answer..

I posted that way back in the thread.

Nokian says after 6 years in service or 10 years from date of manufacture they should be inspected.

Law here in Ontario says tires under 6 years old can be sold as new.

Sorry, but ordering tires and expecting them to be less than a year old just is not going to happen in the real world. The tires do not go directly from the factory to the tire shop.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Sorry, but ordering tires and expecting them to be less than a year old just is not going to happen in the real world.

But in this case, it's not about what's realistic/reasonable. It's about what the customer asked for and what the shop agreed to. Once the shop agreed, they should have delivered on that promise.

BTW, I've ordered a lot of tires online over the years, and even though I know it's not a guarantee, but they have always been less than a year old.

Originally Posted By: Rand
I hear you, but tires age out at 6 years in service.. not 5 years from manufacture..

and you arent in desert..

I would think for colorado use in the winter only they would last upto 10 years if stored in bags in a cool location(ie not a hot shed/garage)

Also when the tire is brand new stored in a warehouse it doesnt age as fast as it does after its put into use
Its not like it was out back of joe bob's tire shack getting rain and sun on it.

I just had a massive hassle at DTD/DT, but you know they are just people too sometimes you just have to move on and if you let it get you that upset you will stroke out early and not be there for your family.

FWIW Nokian says:
Quote:
Is there a manufacturing date on Nokian tires?

On all Nokian branded tires, a four digit code shows the year and week when the tire was manufactured. The manufacturing code has four digits, for example, the code "2106" means that the tire was manufactured in week number 21 of the year 2006. Our recommendation is that after six years in service, or ten years from the date of manufacture, a thorough inspection be performed.

So according to them you have 6 years in service or 10 years from manufacturing date before they have to be inspected.

PS you have to find someone better to replace them.. and.. around here that is a massive issue.

My chiropractor has a Silverado with some 6.5 YO[MFR date] BFG KOs on it. He has had the tires on his truck only 4 years, installed new by local DT shop. DT won't even rotate his tires for him cuz they are 'expired'.

Sorry, but ordering tires and expecting them to be less than a year old just is not going to happen in the real world. The tires do not go directly from the factory to the tire shop.

They do in some shops, Costco being one of them.
Now you will ask why you didn’t stay with the? I know! My mistake, but doesn’t change the fact that they agreed to get fresh tires. If they were made 0117 I would be ok with it. I do note expect few days old tire.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

I posted that way back in the thread.

Nokian says after 6 years in service or 10 years from date of manufacture they should be inspected.

That is for physical damage. Nokian nor any other manufacturer says that performance is same on new tire and 2 1/2 year old tire, because it is not!

Originally Posted By: Brigadier
I hear you, but tires age out at 6 years in service.. not 5 years from manufacture..

and you arent in desert..

I would think for colorado use in the winter only they would last upto 10 years if stored in bags in a cool location(ie not a hot shed/garage)

Also when the tire is brand new stored in a warehouse it doesnt age as fast as it does after its put into use
Its not like it was out back of joe bob's tire shack getting rain and sun on it.

I just had a massive hassle at DTD/DT, but you know they are just people too sometimes you just have to move on and if you let it get you that upset you will stroke out early and not be there for your family.

FWIW Nokian says:
Quote:
Is there a manufacturing date on Nokian tires?

On all Nokian branded tires, a four digit code shows the year and week when the tire was manufactured. The manufacturing code has four digits, for example, the code "2106" means that the tire was manufactured in week number 21 of the year 2006. Our recommendation is that after six years in service, or ten years from the date of manufacture, a thorough inspection be performed.

So according to them you have 6 years in service or 10 years from manufacturing date before they have to be inspected.

PS you have to find someone better to replace them.. and.. around here that is a massive issue.

My chiropractor has a Silverado with some 6.5 YO[MFR date] BFG KOs on it. He has had the tires on his truck only 4 years, installed new by local DT shop. DT won't even rotate his tires for him cuz they are 'expired'.

Refusing to rotate because the tires are "expired" is probably part of their business plan, along with free tire repair, hoping to sell tires any way they can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

And some winter tires only have the special soft winter compound for the top 5/32, with a harder all-season compound underneath.

What tires are those? Something new? I've never heard of that?

Please post a tire that has a soft winter tire compound over an all-season compound.

Sounds like there may be some slight confusion. The Bridgestone Blizzak WS tires have a tread compound where the first 55% of the tread is a multi cell compound. Once the tire wears down through that, the remaining 45% of the tread is a standard winter compound.

I have bought 2 sets of tires online this year, neither was more than a year old.

Originally Posted By: Traction

As far as the date code on tires, it is Required by Law, that all tire retailers must provide the DOT number with the receipt, or register it electronically. So yes, they are supposed to look at the DOT code every single tire sold. If they have a problem, it's the only way of tracking the tire by it's production date.

Thanks for that. What is a Certified Tire Service Instructor?

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

I have bought 2 sets of tires online this year, neither was more than a year old.

It all depends on the popularity of the exact tire, and size, you are buying. Buying a tire they sell 40 a week vs buying a tire they sell 40 a year. When I bought my Mich SS, they were the last two in my size in the country, and they were only a couple months old. My Hakka were about a year and a half old. Some oddball sizes we get are 4-5 years old.

Sounds like DT won't be too sad it lost a customer... Honestly, a brand new tire, properly stored that was manufactured 2 years ago will be just fine, and I'd agree that after six years in service, not from the manufacturing date, would be reasonable, assuming the tire was properly stored.

And I agree with the poster above - in oddball tires and sizes, it is not uncommon at all to get older manufacturing dates.

Originally Posted By: Traction

Thanks for that. What is a Certified Tire Service Instructor?

To be a certified tire instructor all you have to do is attend the 1 week class sponsored by the Tire Industry Association (TIA). Then you need to re-certify every 2 years. It's a great foundation to learn all there is to know about tire service. Then build from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back