TireRack and Discount Tire association

As most know Discount tire bought TireRack a few years back. The two companies still maintain their distinct and separate identities so much so that Tirerack does not list Discount Tire as a installation partner on their website! Can anybody think or heard of a reason for this. The only one I can think of is that DT doesn't have the capacity to do any more installations than they can currently do. My local DT store is always swamped and their appointment options are always days and sometimes weeks in the future. I've been given half day and full day wait times as a walk-in for simple services (I just leave the car or tire since It's only a mile or so from me). One would think the two would be working more hand in hand.

As most know Discount tire bought TireRack a few years back. The two companies still maintain their distinct and separate identities so much so that Tirerack does not list Discount Tire as a installation partner on their website! Can anybody think or heard of a reason for this. The only one I can think of is that DT doesn't have the capacity to do any more installations than they can currently do. My local DT store is always swamped and their appointment options are always days and sometimes weeks in the future. I've been given half day and full day wait times as a walk-in for simple services (I just leave the car or tire since It's only a mile or so from me). One would think the two would be working more hand in hand.
The current website's FAQ says otherwise.

1705090790462.jpg

That's true as referenced, but "Tirerack" does not currently list Discount Tire Stores as a preferred installer option at time of check-out when buying tires. Last fall I bought a set of Pirellis from TireRack that DT did not have on their website. I was thinking I'd have them delivered to DT for install (a option TR offers with their other recommended installers). That DT option, however, was not available at check-out. What's interesting is that one of the really big TR warehouses is located here in Denver. They delivered the tires to my house the next day and I ended up taking them to DT! If I wanted, I could have picked the tires up at the TR warehouse and saved 40.00 on the sale of the set so shipping is not actually free, just built into the price. Nice that they offer the PU option if desired!

Just speculating as to why not an option listed at check out, perhaps for now trying to keep TR close to same as it's been, separate. Or, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Though no delivery to DT option, seems you made the best of it. That said, I wonder if your local DT store would have price matched or beaten the TR price. I've done that several times with a DTD lower pricing. Also, had local store match DTD pricing even on tires not listed on the local DT store menu. Just had to wait 2-3 days for delivery to store.

The TR warehouse pick up option with savings, been around for a while. Since before DT bought them.

I suspect Tire Rack is the premium option, and they don't want to "confuse" buyers by mentioning their own cut-rate brother. Once the buyer's clicked "check out" on the cart then the buyer can figure out where to take them.

Oh, oh, OH! That explains the sky high tire prices then. Acquisitions and mergers until dominant position on market is achieved. That's what the anti-trust laws are for. Unfortunately, whether it's due to incompetence or special-interest payoffs. this administration (FTC, DOJ) didn't enforce the law here. Also, did any media report on this? I follow a lot of automotive news but never heard a peep.

Thankfully there are still a few more competitive retailers left (for now). Got my last set of tires at Walmart, very happy with installation and tire quality (GoodYear), at less than half the cost of comparable purchase thru DT/TR.

If you put it in a zip code where a DT store in nearby, DT will show up.

I tested it with a zip code I know they have a store in. I put in 18702, and America's Tire was the first installer on the list. Some DT stores use the AT name.

The biggest unknown is what will happen to DTD. It's the same company as DT but run separately. So with TR, they have two sites run separately from DT itself.

The tires I got from DTD had a $110 instant rebate not available on TR. Of course, the instant rebate was also available at DT, but there is no DT store close to me.

Also, TR includes road hazard in the price, while DT and DTD charge extra for the certificate of replacement.

It looks like Tire Rack's scheduling process for installation at Discount Tire is not done at purchase checkout, but after completing the tire purchase order. See the notes about online scheduling of installation at DT in the screen capture from Tire Rack's website.

1705104185170.jpg

It looks like Tire Rack's scheduling process for installation at Discount Tire is not done at purchase checkout, but after completing the tire purchase order. See the notes about online scheduling of installation at DT in the screen capture from Tire Rack's website.

View attachment 198105

That's the same boilerplate message they use for every installer, not just DT. Look up another installer, and you will see the same message.

....Also, TR includes road hazard in the price, while DT and DTD charge extra for the certificate of replacement.
That's true but it sort of depends on definition of road hazard. The DT/AT "certs" means customer gets a new tire, even if say puncture in a repairable area. Otoh, DT includes free puncture repair in a repairable area. If it's outside repairable area, I've had DT prorate the price of a new tire based on mileage used. Even had them do it on a couple OE tires, not purchased at DT. I say the latter as a YMMV, but I'd call that road hazard compensation/proration. Likely it's considered or done as part of the tire manufacturer road hazard warranty.

And just recently had DT give a family member a prorated price on a new set of tires (Milestar), based on the fact a set of tires (Nankang) purchased at DT didn't reach the manufacture treadwear warranty. Not the first time I've had them do that. I've purchased the certs once before, but not anymore.

Last edited:
Probably hit or miss here. Make sense for DT to purchase TireRack for their inventory.

Regarding installation, TireRack requires the installer to do Road Force Balancing. DT claims to have these machines, but at least in the case of my local DT, you have to explicitly ask for them to use it, and even then they might not.

Probably hit or miss here. Make sense for DT to purchase TireRack for their inventory.

Regarding installation, TireRack requires the installer to do Road Force Balancing. DT claims to have these machines, but at least in the case of my local DT, you have to explicitly ask for them to use it, and even then they might not.
and hope that the person doing it knows what they are doing...thats the hard part...

Back