What do you think Discount Tire would have done?

So my cousins husband calls me and ask about what to do. he has a BMW with some expensive tire he bought with 5k miles them. He sent me a pix of a screw head in shoulder . The guy at DT tire told him its not in a repairable area so he needed to get a new tire. ok no problem ,but they needed to order one. he wanted him to pay for it first before he ordered it. the tire was $450

i asked him if it was leaking . he said don't think so. i told him that its 50/50 if that screw went through completely . especially since he has no air loss. So i go over to his house equipped with my plug kit and pull the screw . As i thought , it did not go all the way through and tire was still good.

i wonder what would have happened if they had the tire in stock. would they still have sold him the tire ?

Last edited by a moderator:
So my cousins husband calls me and ask about what to do. he has a BMW with some expensive tire he bought with 5k miles them. He sent me a pix of a screw head in shoulder . The guy at DT tire told him its not in a repairable area so he needed to get a new tire. ok no problem ,but they needed to order one. he wanted him to pay for it first before he ordered it. the tire was $450

i asked him if it was leaking . he said don't think so. i told him that its 50/50 if that screw went through completely . especially since he has no air loss. So i go over to his house equipped with my plug kit and pull the screw . As i thought , it did not go all the way through and tire was still good.

i wonder what would have happened if they had the tire in stock. would they still have sold him the tire ?
I don’t know what that store would do - but when I order from DT.com = pay on line. Get a set they have? Pay DT before mounting …

If I ran that Discount Tire I would have sold him 4, along with the protection plan to go with them!

If it were my car, I'd probably rotate that one to the rear and roll the dice, but that's only because I have a spare and I'm capable and willing to use that spare If I ever needed to. If I didn't have a spare then I might opt to have them replace the tire. If this is on an AWD car I could see myself being able to get talked into getting 2 new tires.

If this were a car for my grandma who lives alone and isn't too handy with a jack and a lug wrench, I'd tell she should get 2 new tires (or maybe 4 so she can get a protection plan applied to all of them). 😜

My kid works at Discount, they won't repair certain holes depending on location and size. It is a good policy that lots of tire places follow. I have road hazard and replacement on my tires. It is cheap insurance. I am going to say he probably didn't. Do you have the picture to post?

Pretty simple. They are a business. They would sell the tire under the assumption of unknown damage. After all, even though the screw didn't go in all the way, just how far in did it go, and what, if anything, has been compromised?

What about this? It's on my daughter's CX-5, she picked it up on the way to the store 2 miles away heard it ticking on the road and drove 3 more miles back to my place. It went straight in. I pulled it out and plugged it and will watch closely for a while.
IMG_2716.jpg

If in stock they would have replaced it and he would have paid. Liability period.

If I was driving around town, me only, under 40 mph I might live with it but put it on the rear. Wife/kids or highway speeds I'd probably replace. Sidewall with holes or damage is not something to play with.

BMW = bring my wallet and expect to use it. Neighbor's wife got an X5. Between the car payments and maintenance he said it's killing him. She had to get tires, with the run flat they were $400+ each. They only got 2 but really needed 4. He said next visit he will. I gave options but he went to dealer.

Discussion ends there. Many companies have that policy and stick to it.
ok i get it . what i thought interesting was he was selling a tire without even pulling the screw out. and sent him home to wait for the tire to come in .

ok i get it . what i thought interesting was he was selling a tire without even pulling the screw out. and sent him home to wait for the tire to come in .
What would they have done if it leaked ? They won't repair it and now they've stranded your relative. You can drive with a screw or something in a tire but you do risk it coming out just from driving.

What about this? It's on my daughter's CX-5, she picked it up on the way to the store 2 miles away heard it ticking on the road and drove 3 more miles back to my place. It went straight in. I pulled it out and plugged it and will watch closely for a while.
View attachment 200551
That is a big one. Had my kid look at it. He said that is on the line, but they would have plugged and patched it. He is almost done at Discount tire, got hired into the shipfitters at Subase Bangor. Starting young with the Federal job.

Back