Does anyone need a truck like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new models are getting away from that look.
yeah, probably wasn't a look many owners preferred.. I don't have one, but see them and thing it is ugly..
now they need to fix the large Chevy HD's grille, the GMC is actually good looking compared to its Chevrolet twin.

Do people need them as daily drivers? Definitely not, but they are essential if you tow anything heavy. I grew up working on a farm where I drove dump trucks, F350 duallys with goosenecks, and all sorts of equipment. None of us on that farm would dream of driving that stuff to the mall or into a parking garage. It makes me chuckle a bit when I see someone with a huge dual wheel HD extended cab truck trying to back into a spot at work, but hey, their money they can buy what they want.

My only issue comes from when people buy those rigs but have no business driving them, and can't even keep them between the lines on a back road forcing other cars to move way over. It happens all the time here. The work parking garage posts have multiple scratches from giant SUVs and trucks people can't keep between the barriers.

I mostly agree with this guy. I am not a truck hater, but more so dislike seemingly every American’s addiction/obsession with owning one. Everyone and their grandma want big vehicles here, and it’s profligate.

It’s similar to college. Back in the day not many people went to college, but now everyone feels they have to go. Most people will complain that the analogy is not similar to trucks because of economics, but they are similar. College has a lot to do with marketing and selling a lifestyle, just like convincing everyone in America you need big expensive trucks to be happy with all your toys. It is very profitable.

This is not an attack towards all truck owners, as many truck owners will immediately assume. But to say there are no cons with everyone owning huge trucks, that, I will disagree with.

Last edited:
We should ban low cars! All those Miatas and British cars..... Ban them I say!

My only low car is my Fiero and even something like a Cavalier or a Ford Focus towers over it.
(satire) Maybe all cars and trucks should be banned for personal use, unless one gets a permit to own a car/truck from the government. Permission is granted by a board of five people, who will vote. Permission to own a car/ truck will only be granted by unanimous decision. The vote process is in secret, to protect the board members.

A waiver for the permit process to own a car/truck for individuals and their family who have been loyal members of a certain political party. In case of a waiver, a single person that is employed by the political party will determine waiver eligibility.

Here in the south pickups are everywhere. When I park next to some of these trucks I do think I’d be dead if I got t-boned by one of these things. At least it would be quick (hopefully). They are second to Nissan Altima in the aggressive category of tailgating or driving recklessly.

Most I know who own pickups work office jobs. Most I know who are actually contractors use beater cars or work vans. Probably due to price, cost and gas.

I could use a smallish truck for work but I’m too cheap so I use my Mazda like a truck and constantly replace rear shocks.

This is America and a free country. At the end of the day just drive what you want.

Do people need them as daily drivers? Definitely not, but they are essential if you tow anything heavy. I grew up working on a farm where I drove dump trucks, F350 duallys with goosenecks, and all sorts of equipment. None of us on that farm would dream of driving that stuff to the mall or into a parking garage. It makes me chuckle a bit when I see someone with a huge dual wheel HD extended cab truck trying to back into a spot at work, but hey, their money they can buy what they want.

My only issue comes from when people buy those rigs but have no business driving them, and can't even keep them between the lines on a back road forcing other cars to move way over. It happens all the time here. The work parking garage posts have multiple scratches from giant SUVs and trucks people can't keep between the barriers.

The pickup has evolved over the years from a work vehicle to a dual purpose vehicle. Going back many years a crew cab pickup had a specific purpose and that was the hauling of work crews hence the name. They were not common and the single cab pickup reigned.

Now it makes sense for many two car households to have a pickup as the second vehicle. The crew cab can accommodate the family plus the function of having a pickup for towing, hauling or whatever the need.

I mostly agree with this guy. I am not a truck hater, but more so dislike seemingly every American’s addiction/obsession with owning one. Everyone and their grandma want big vehicles here, and it’s profligate.

It’s similar to college. Back in the day not many people went to college, but now everyone feels they have to go. Most people will complain that the analogy is not similar to trucks because of economics, but they are similar. College has a lot to do with marketing and selling a lifestyle, just like convincing everyone in American you need big expensive trucks to be happy with all your toys. It is very profitable.

This is not an attack towards all truck owners, as many truck owners will immediately assume. But to say there are no cons with everyone owning huge trucks, that, I will disagree with.

Very likely the end of significant numbers of trucks for individuals will end in the next decade or so. US Government is super deep in debt, imports significantly more than it export (sure sign of financial ruin) and uses a credit card to pay its bills (prints money). US Government has no plan whatsoever to address the huge debt and deficits.

Go look at Venezuela or Argentina. Not many trucks today being sold for individuals in those debt-ridden countries. These countries not so many years ago did have truck sales going on for individuals.

To answer the obvious... Yes! And by a lot of responses here it's clear that some live in a bubble of their own making.

Last edited:
I just got back from a cruise around the entire continent of South America. Yes-not many full size trucks-but mid size and compact trucks exist in abundant numbers. Many of these are Chinese made due to many South American countries having favored trade status with China.

Does someone need a $100k+ luxury SUV to haul around a kid, a purse and three grocery bags? Probably not... so let's convince them they are idiots and should be driving a Mitsubishi Mirage Hatchback since it is more practical.

For expensive vehicles people either buy them because they need them for some work related purpose or because they want them.

I'm driving a used GM midsized truck because I occasionally do truck things. If my bank account would let me I would definitely roll around in a 2024 GMC HD2500 AT4X, just because I want to.

People also put marble countertops in their kitchen when plywood and laminate would also work as effectively to hold plates and toaster ovens.
Don’t mix a notionally appreciating asset and improvement (nice kitchen in a home) with an intrinsically depreciating asset.

Like it or not, the fancier, bigger vehicles do consume a lot more fuel in general, which influences demand, which influences prices. So when folks’ buying decisions affect others’ bottom line, then it is something they can comment on. Whether it’s what others want to hear or not.

And to be clear, I’m not anti truck, I have three of them. I’m just for using the relatively correct tool for the job.

The work parking garage posts have multiple scratches from giant SUVs and trucks people can't keep between the barriers.

If some people had to drive a vehicle they could park:

1696519181988.jpg

3/4 ton and 1 ton pickups may have to shrink in size and weight starting in 2030, to meet proposed fuel efficiency requirements.

NHTSA, on behalf of the Department of Transportation (DOT), is proposing new fuel economy standards for passenger cars and light trucks and fuel efficiency standards for model years (MYs) 2027–31 that increase at a rate of 2 percent per year for passenger cars and 4 percent per year for light trucks, and new fuel efficiency standards for heavy-duty pickup trucks and vans (HDPUVs) for MYs 2030–2035 that increase at a rate of 10 percent per year.

You would be surprised. There is a guy who drives around locally in a prius with stickers all over it, large stickers, that say like "58mpg vehicle" or something like that. He's definitely virtue signalling ;)
I know some lifted trucks like that with "Anti-Prius" and crap like that. Oh them virtues...

I drive a 2500HD and I definitely don't tow heavy with it. It's a 2016 crew cab WT 4x4. I bought it for 35k brand new. Here's why I got it:

(1) about the same price for a base model 2500HD as a low-end 1500.
(2) No AFM on the 6.0 vortec, bulletproof engine.
(3) 6.5 bed for truck camping, can't sleep in a short bed 1500.
(4) more ground clearance
(5) E rated tires
(6) standard locker
(7) full floating rear
(8) heavier duty everywhere else, cooling, trans, front axle, frame, brakes, etc.

So basically I decided that I'd pay extra in gas to get a bulletproof hunting truck that I would never outgrow instead of getting a lighter-duty 1500. I don't really care if someone else thinks I don't need a big truck - I got something for a pretty reasonable price that takes everything I can throw at it and will last for years to come.

Reactions: 4WD
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back