Selling a truck to Carvana from across the country.

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
We live in Arizona. 90 year old father-in-law lives in Florida. When wife visited him in January he said he can still drive as well as anybody and wasn't giving up his truck. 2 weeks ago he called and said he wanted to sell his truck it was time. Something must have happened but he won't say what. In the past 2 years or so he's had 2 minor fender benders, his fault he just didn't see a car coming or misjudged speed and pulled out in front of them.

Said he thought he could sell it himself we told him that wasn't a good idea, just too much chance he'd get scammed somehow. He said he'd call the dealership he's done business with for 25 years and see what they'd give. I told him I'd find out what Carvana would give so I got the truck info with full disclosure. Carvana offered $21k, dealer offered $15.5k. This was the beginning of last week. He said sell it to Carvana. Took a couple of days to get decent pics of the title, odo reading, driver's license that I could upload. I managed to chat with an "advocate" to make sure what we were doing would work. Finally got to the point of choosing a pick-up time last Thursday, he wanted ASAP and they offered Sunday (Easter) 10-2pm so we took it. An advocate showed up at 1:30 in a car, looked the truck over said OK, gave him the check, took the title and keys and said they'd come pick it up in 72 hours. A truck came Monday and got it. He had the check in the bank before the truck was gone. The only snags were working with a 90 YO to get what was needed. He had a younger (75) friend help him. And because it wasn't a trade/buy deal they charged $90 to pick the truck up and didn't mention it until the end of the online transaction. I told him about the $90 and he said he knew they'd screw him somehow, I said you can always sell it to the dealer then, he didn't mention it again. 2018 Silverado double cab LT 2wd with 27k miles.

Not surprised at the dealer offer, they have an endless supply of old people to steal cars from when the time comes.

We live in Arizona. 90 year old father-in-law lives in Florida. When wife visited him in January he said he can still drive as well as anybody and wasn't giving up his truck. 2 weeks ago he called and said he wanted to sell his truck it was time. Something must have happened but he won't say what. In the past 2 years or so he's had 2 minor fender benders, his fault he just didn't see a car coming or misjudged speed and pulled out in front of them.

Said he thought he could sell it himself we told him that wasn't a good idea, just too much chance he'd get scammed somehow. He said he'd call the dealership he's done business with for 25 years and see what they'd give. I told him I'd find out what Carvana would give so I got the truck info with full disclosure. Carvana offered $21k, dealer offered $15.5k. This was the beginning of last week. He said sell it to Carvana. Took a couple of days to get decent pics of the title, odo reading, driver's license that I could upload. I managed to chat with an "advocate" to make sure what we were doing would work. Finally got to the point of choosing a pick-up time last Thursday, he wanted ASAP and they offered Sunday (Easter) 10-2pm so we took it. An advocate showed up at 1:30 in a car, looked the truck over said OK, gave him the check, took the title and keys and said they'd come pick it up in 72 hours. A truck came Monday and got it. He had the check in the bank before the truck was gone. The only snags were working with a 90 YO to get what was needed. He had a younger (75) friend help him. And because it wasn't a trade/buy deal they charged $90 to pick the truck up and didn't mention it until the end of the online transaction. I told him about the $90 and he said he knew they'd screw him somehow, I said you can always sell it to the dealer then, he didn't mention it again. 2018 Silverado double cab LT 2wd with 27k miles.

Not surprised at the dealer offer, they have an endless supply of old people to steal cars from when the time comes.
Mean while Carvana is having trouble staying business.

But Carvana has been struggling to sell cars acquired at elevated prices as buyers, hit by inflation and worried about a recession, cut spending.

I sold one of mine to Carvana for about $2k more than I originally paid for it new. But that was here at the house, not from across the country. About 3 years ago. Couldn't have been easier I don't think. Wondered then how they'd stay in business paying so much.

Keep an eye on the check clearing. Never heard of them charging $90 for pickup. What was the alternative???

$90 is still cheap rather than having to drop it off. Once the check clears, all is good. Well done taking care of it from that far away.

Back