Do you wear a watch anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bubbatime

No longer working, I just use my smart phone now. Dont really care what time it is to be honest.

Drop the kids off, fire up the XT and just ride! (until its time to pick them up...)

I did stop wearing my watch regularly before I got my cell phone, as there were clocks everywhere I went. The only bands I liked were the cheap plastic ones that hardened up so you could wear your watch loose but it wouldn't rotate on your wrist... But then the bands would break when you did take them off...

I wear a Citizen Eco-Drive diver's watch 24/7. Just an old habit and the diver's watch w/rubberized band fits my big wrists better and is more durable.

I've never worn a watch, I don't think it's comfortable. I also don't like hats or sunglasses. Or collared shirts.

I have several watches. They are all mechanical minus my Seiko Astron. I love small mechanical things and it just appeals to me.

I too find it more convenient to look at my wrist instead of pulling my phone out of my pocket.

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
I wear a mechanical watch everyday.

My daily go to watch is a Rolex Submariner which is the honey badger of mechanical watches.

Apple Android watch? thats cute - go without charging it for a full 24 hours and it turns into useless bad jewelry. They call 18 hours of run time a " full day"
Now I have to bring ANOTHER charger on a road trip?? No thanks.

Jump in the shower with some of them and they are junk.

Cell phone- thats ok sometimes - Hows that work when you spend all day on the lake or river?

The rolex is worth more than what it cost in 2000 and still looks like it came out of the box.

Battery watches depreciate like used hand grenades and look like [censored] in short order unless babied.

A mechanical watch isn't about telling time - lots of things can do that. Its about your relationship with time, and independence from external power sources.

UD

Such a classic watch, I wouldn't mind picking up a nice birth year Submariner one day, I'd want one without a date window (and cyclops).

I love watches, bought enough of them during a phase that I stopped buying mechanicals as I hated putting the wear and tear on the crown resetting them, and then having to make sure not to adjust them when the date was changing.

I'm a big japanese watch fanboy, I wear my ecozilla for fun and seiko diver on a bracelet when I pretend to be a fancy boy.

I just really like having that left wrist free to stick into tight spaces if needed while wrenching. I have a really small seiko 5 auto that I used to wear for work, it was better but not perfect. I find that I would rather not have the time readily available while at work, it makes it feel like time is going by faster. 3pm blues are a real thing and they can be really awful on bad days.

This thread reminded me of something from the late '80s. When my brother and I would be looking for a project car, if we were looking at a particular car and I looked at my watch and adjusted the band; I wasn't interested. That was to let him know I was ready to go.

All the time since a tot when dad took one of his and punched a hole through the band of a late 50s Timex Viscount for my tiny wrist. I have about a dozen watches.
With all the clocks in the house, smartphone, time on the laptop, I still seek the time via a watch.
Have various watches for various purposes. Don't feel right not sporting a watch.
Just like various portable radios, I grew up with a small collection of them too. Old and new they get used.
Today I'm wearing my Orient Ray II.

Yes. I don't do cell phones and don't find them convenient. I don't want a timepiece that hasn't got much more than a one day power supply and an excessive reliance on the network to remain accurate. It's a reinvention of the pocket watch.
wink.gif

I wear an 80s Datejust every day everywhere. I feel strange without it on.

Mine is a reference 16013-two tone on a Jubileee bracelet with a champagne dial.

It picks up 5 seconds or so over 6 months-I only bother to set it when the time changes.

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
I wear a mechanical watch everyday.

My daily go to watch is a Rolex Submariner which is the honey badger of mechanical watches.

Apple Android watch? thats cute - go without charging it for a full 24 hours and it turns into useless bad jewelry. They call 18 hours of run time a " full day"
Now I have to bring ANOTHER charger on a road trip?? No thanks.

Jump in the shower with some of them and they are junk.

Cell phone- thats ok sometimes - Hows that work when you spend all day on the lake or river?

The rolex is worth more than what it cost in 2000 and still looks like it came out of the box.

Battery watches depreciate like used hand grenades and look like [censored] in short order unless babied.

A mechanical watch isn't about telling time - lots of things can do that. Its about your relationship with time, and independence from external power sources.

UD

If I have to pick a sport watch it would be a Rolex too. Simple because the depreciation is almost nil. But I would probably pick the GMT Master II. I find the 24 hour function a bit more handy than the diving function.

I must say some of the Casio G-shocks are quite appealing. If there is a zombie attack I would bring one with me.

Yep, all the time since my second year of the third grade.

My first was a Zorro (remember?) watch and my current is a Citizen Eco Drive that has been perfect for about twenty years.

Yes, an Apple Watch. Nothing else ever made sense to me before smartwatches came along.

There’s a reason Apple became the largest watch maker in the world in under 3 years.

Now, just a smart phone.

In the army, a G-Shock. I used the stopwatch a lot in the military, and I needed something that could take a hit and get wet without a issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back