Zoo in China denies speculation that its bears are actually humans in disguise

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Although I watched the video on a small smartphone screen, I am going to say the video is of a real bear.

Yes, the start of the video has two items that definitely make the bear look fake. One is the bear's arm movements. The other is what appears to be rolls on the bears backside, implying a costume.

The end of the video shows the backside rolls disappearing, and the movement of the bear seem normal, and hard for a human to duplicate.

What do you think?

Something doesn't look right with its stance. I never heard of a sun bear. I will have to check that out.

Last edited:
I think the vertical stance of the bear at the start of the video looked uncannily like a human's posture. However, I agree with your conclusion that it is a real Sun Bear based upon the appearance after it goes down on all fours at the end of the video clip.

Last edited:
Definitely a real bear. They’re just… weird but cute. Also not very big, ~5ft and ~150lbs.

Here’s a picture of one at a different zoo
IMG_8152.jpeg

Most definitely a sun bear. But it kind of reminds me of how zoos are in China. A Chinese friends told me that they tend to have smaller enclosures designed to make it easy for visitors to spot the animals. There are several sun bears at the Oakland Zoo, and when I’ve visited they had a large area and could hide if they wanted.

I never heard of a sun bear.
I remember seeing them in a zoo and they did look different. They seemed thinner and their face/head shape was not what you envision with a black bear, grizzly, etc.

At the first of the video, the standing posture does look human like. But as soon as the bear sits back, it is clearly not human like. The leg to torso ratio is all wrong, as is the body posture. A human would not sit back like that without bending the knees a lot more.

So for me, not human.

But as soon as the bear sits back, it is clearly not human like. The leg to torso ratio is all wrong, as is the body posture. A human would not sit back like that without bending the knees a lot more.
👍🏻

I remember seeing them in a zoo and they did look different. They seemed thinner and their face/head shape was not what you envision with a black bear, grizzly, etc.

They have very short hair, so the amount of fur they have doesn't make them look as puffy. The average American black bear is actually skinnier under all that fur than it would seem. I found photo of bears that's lost a lot of hair due to mange.

This one is apparently in Florida:

bald_bear.jpg

Virginia:

imrs.php

Upstate New York:

BearMangebyJoanCollins.jpg

Reminds me of the panda that was at the Memphis Zoo and returned this year. There were a lot of Chinese netizens claiming that it must have been malnourished as it was small and had thin fur. But it was apparently genetic and got a clean bill of health from Chinese vets.

Standing with wrinkly skin looks human but when he drops the back hump and head position show it's a bear.

Back