Do you wear a watch anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer a watch, but the bands bother the skin under the band if I'm washing my hands too often or if I'm too sweaty. Since my phone has the time, I mostly don't wear a watch now.

I have hated wristwatches since I was a teen (thought digital watches were cool as a kid) and used to carry small travel clocks in my pocket as a young man, then had a couple of decent pocket watches that met their dooms in washing machines. Checking the time with a smartphone is perfect for me and I think I would burst out laughing if somebody gave me a wristwatch.

I wear a mechanical watch everyday.

My daily go to watch is a Rolex Submariner which is the honey badger of mechanical watches.

Apple Android watch? thats cute - go without charging it for a full 24 hours and it turns into useless bad jewelry. They call 18 hours of run time a " full day"
Now I have to bring ANOTHER charger on a road trip?? No thanks.

Jump in the shower with some of them and they are junk.

Cell phone- thats ok sometimes - Hows that work when you spend all day on the lake or river?

The rolex is worth more than what it cost in 2000 and still looks like it came out of the box.

Battery watches depreciate like used hand grenades and look like [censored] in short order unless babied.

A mechanical watch isn't about telling time - lots of things can do that. Its about your relationship with time, and independence from external power sources.

UD

I gave up wearing watches or any jewelry when I was about 20ish.
Just feels "confining" when I have something strapped to my wrist or hands.

I also have an Android for time.
And when I don't have that, I simply don't care what time it is.

No, I use my cell phone as my time keeper now. I've been a mechanic (of some kind) all my adult life. I don't like things 'attached' to me. No chain or pendants, no piercings or ear rings. I don't even wear my wedding band, ever.

Yes. I own a dozen watches for various occasions (from $100 to $1200). It's jewelry though. Not really about the function to me but I feels right to wear a watch for me. They are all analog with about half of them being eco-drive (or similar). I don't know if I'll ever buy another watch that requires me to replace the battery or wind it.

Last edited:
I have 7 watches that I rotate through, depending on the day and occasion. Two or three are my daily 'go-to' including a very neat wooden one, and a cool, steampunk-ish, brass 'skeleton' watch.

Yes, my smartphone does tell the time, but I've found that it can be cumbersome and awkward at times, not to mention requiring me to hold it in my hand to do so. I have found it's much easier, especially when I'm already holding stuff, to be able to just turn my wrist and look at a watch.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
ARCO, if you haven't already, try your watches on a NATO strap. Even more comfortable than rubber straps. I don't wear metal bracelets for the same reason, nickel allergy. NATOs (and ZULUs) also wrap behind so that the stainless caseback doesn't even touch your skin. They also offer secondary protection in case one of the spring bars break, the watch head will stay strapped on.

Thank you!!!

I will look at that.

I have treated myself to 2 Invicta divers and I have an Swatch water-resistant basic as a daily wear.
All metal strap so the Nato/Zulu strap sounds good.

my bane was:
-not readily available batteries
-sweaty hand
-white hand/tan with a "clock band"
-band and watch getting closer to hand than me breaking watch and band when doing some physical activity

Sure. Teaching is a very schedule-driven bizniz, plus my phone often has a flat battery and is less convenient anyway.

I invented the NATO strap, coincidentally when I was in the army.

Its possible, however, that someone else had already invented it without my knowledge.

Maybe THEY have a yacht.

Wear one daily. I just like being able to look at my wrist to find the time.
My everyday watch was a cheap Casio digital. Just upgraded to a Citizen Eco Drive last week.
Found one I really liked at a price I couldn't pass up.

Yes, 50% of the time home; 100% whilst traveling.

How 'bout a shout out for those ridiculous huge watches they're selling now-a-days.
40mm thick cases with 80mm diameters! Leaves foolish, tasteless bling in the dust.

I really love the ones which look like a deep sea diver's helmet on your wrist.

My wife gave me a couple of Tag Heuer watches(one for a wedding present and one for our 30th anniversary); I wear one or the other all the time except when sleeping or working in the yard or garage.

Yes, because using a watch is way more convenient than whipping out your smartphone to check the time.

And yes, if it's an expensive watch, it is also a piece of jewelry/status symbol, and I don't see anything wrong with that.

When you wear a solid gold Rolex it's a way of telling other men where they are on the pecking order.

When I was working and required me to note the time for official purposes, I always had an atomic G-Shock on my wrist. Why? Because it set itself every night, so it was always correct down to the second. Which was important at work, to have the exact correct time.

No longer working, I just use my smart phone now. Dont really care what time it is to be honest.

My sister in law found a $10K Rolex at her work (high end hotel). They couldn't find the owner, so it was put in lost and found. After 90 days, no one claimed it, and it was hers to keep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back