Do you floss your teeth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: Al
I heard on WBZ 1030 AM Recent published studies have shown NO BENEFIT. So that's good for me being somewhat lazy and this being a weird and awkward proposition. I also read dental prophylaxis with gum trimming may introduce harmful bacteria into the blood stream that will destroy heart valves.

I see no need except after eating stringy meats or getting that odd corn root outta there
smile.gif

You are sadly uninformed. You heard one wierdo say its a waste and that trumps the entire health industry? And bty not flossing makes bacteria getting into the blood stream far more likely. One of the huge incentives for flossing is prevention of heart valve damage. But whatever.
smile.gif

I had gum disease and aggressive cleaning by dentist and flossiong and I have no more #4 or higher pockets.

No, I had one guy on an oil forum says its good
smile.gif

from NY Daily News:

Drop the floss.

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has removed flossing as a recommended practice after questions arose about its helpfulness, the Associated Press reported Tuesday.
The AP reviewed the most rigorous research conducted over the past decade, concentrating on 25 studies that generally compared the use of a toothbrush with the combination of toothbrushes and floss
...Careless flossing can damage gums, teeth and dental work. Though frequency is unclear, floss can dislodge bad bacteria that invade the bloodstream and cause dangerous infections, especially in people with weak immunity, according to medical literature.

Fair enough, I'll give a look -- although I'd think you'd do well to include a link.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shot...s-mixed-at-best

Quote:
Flossing has quietly lost its place among recommendations for daily health, at least as prescribed in the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, which are issued every five years by the U.S. departments of Health and Human Services and Agriculture.

That could be because there's scant evidence that flossing does much to keep teeth and gums healthy.

"In large epidemiological studies, the evidence for flossing turns out to be fairly weak," says Tim Iafolla, a dentist with the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, which is part of the National Institutes of Health.

Iafolla wasn't involved in drafting the dietary guidelines, but he's well aware of some of the problems with flossing research. Still, he points out, tracking the long-term benefits of flossing isn't cheap or easy.

"The condition we're trying to prevent, which is gum disease, is something that takes years to develop, and most of the studies only last for a few weeks or months," he says. "So the evidence that we gather from these studies is fairly indirect. We can look at bleeding gums, we can look at inflammation, but we have to extrapolate from that evidence to gum disease."

Moving onto the fount of all knowledge ( wikipedia)

Quote:
The American Dental Association has stated that flossing in combination with tooth brushing can help prevent gum disease[12] and halitosis.[13] A 2011 review of trials concluded that flossing in addition to tooth brushing reduces gingivitis compared to tooth brushing alone. In this review, researchers found "some evidence from 12 studies that flossing in addition to tooth brushing reduces gingivitis compared to tooth brushing alone", but only discovered "weak, very unreliable evidence from 10 studies that flossing plus tooth brushing may be associated with a small reduction in plaque at 1 and 3 months."[14]

A 2008 systematic review of 11 studies concluded that adjunctive flossing was no more effective than tooth brushing alone in reducing plaque or gingivitis.[3] The authors concluded that "the dental professional should determine, on an individual patient basis, whether high-quality flossing is an achievable goal."[3] The review also states that "routine instruction of flossing in gingivitis patients as helpful adjunct therapy is not supported by scientific evidence".[3] Two studies found no effect of floss among dental students.[3] One review reported that professional flossing of children reduced dental caries risk, but self-flossing did not.[15]

In response to an Associated Press investigation, the US government stopped recommending flossing in their 2015 U.S. dietary guidelines, having deliberately changed their focus to food and nutrition, and stated that effects of flossing had never been researched as required.[16][17]

So I'm not sure if you're right, only that perhaps you're not the nutter we all think you are.

I have a dentist friend that I went to school with and she always says that flossing is so overrated and that brushing teeth twice a day with a good toothpaste is more than enough.

I wont talk to the health benefits of flossing daily or somewhat frequently, I'm no dentist. All I can say is, if you are the type who doesnt floss often at all (or ever), then go grab a piece of floss, and floss a couple of your back teeth. Now put the floss up to your nose and take a strong whiff. Thats what your breath smells like. If thats not enough incentive, then nothing else will be either.

I don't know why, but this topic came up at work a while back when we were all sitting around talking. One guy proudly said he never flosses, it was a waste of time. It took every ounce of my being not to say "we already know" because you can smell this guys dumpster full of teeth from five feet away every time he talks.

No, I had one guy on an oil forum says its good
smile.gif

from NY Daily News:

Drop the floss.

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has removed flossing as a recommended practice after questions arose about its helpfulness, the Associated Press reported Tuesday.
The AP reviewed the most rigorous research conducted over the past decade, concentrating on 25 studies that generally compared the use of a toothbrush with the combination of toothbrushes and floss
...Careless flossing can damage gums, teeth and dental work. Though frequency is unclear, floss can dislodge bad bacteria that invade the bloodstream and cause dangerous infections, especially in people with weak immunity, according to medical literature.

Fair enough.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
Once a year, when the dental hygienist does it. The dentist sees the rest of the family twice a year, says there's no point in seeing me more than annually because my teeth and gums are great. He even complimented me a couple of years ago on my brushing and flossing routine?!? I don't even bother to brush before bed, I just sip vodka rocks all evening and I figure that kills the bacteria.

Fair trade...disinfected mouth, weathered liver.

And I'm in my 50s...so far so good. Enough cardiac issues within my family, and personal history that I am confident that my teeth will outlast me.

Two or three times a day. Only need my teeth cleaned once a year, and the hygienist says my teeth are still a breeze to clean.

Originally Posted By: supton

So I'm not sure if you're right, only that perhaps you're not the nutter we all think you are.

Nutter?

Where has that been exhibited?

I do agree certain shills here wish to destroy my credibility, though they are attacking from a weak position.

Originally Posted By: quint

I don't know why, but this topic came up at work a while back when we were all sitting around talking. One guy proudly said he never flosses, it was a waste of time. It took every ounce of my being not to say "we already know" because you can smell this guys dumpster full of teeth from five feet away every time he talks.

We already know the human mouth is a bacterial cesspool. Thats its natural condition.

I will say brushing the back 40 of your tongue will do more for bad breath than most anything. So how many tongue brushers do we have here ?

Originally Posted By: quint

We already know the human mouth is a bacterial cesspool. Thats its natural condition.

I will say brushing the back 40 of your tongue will do more for bad breath than most anything. So how many tongue brushers do we have here ?

Does tongue scrape count?

My dentist told me to sniff my floss after using it. If it stinks I have bad breath. I have flossed for as long as I can remember. Never had a cavity.

I never flossed until I turned 30. Then at a dentists visit, he told me I had gum decease, and that I needed to start flossing or lose my teeth. I've been flossing ever since, I kept all my teeth, and my gums have been in good shape ever since...

Genetics and mouth Flora seem to matter more than anything else. Some people do it by the book and still end up needing expensive dental work. Others don't even brush regularly but have rock hard teeth.

If your mouth can maintain a hostile environment against harmful bacteria then it'll be self preserving. Plaque will still be an issue but there are ways to deal with that.

Recently my father had a bunch of teeth pulled as he has "soft teeth". Turns out his sisters do too (as did their parents). So inquired of two dentists their thoughts. They had been taught in school that there was no such thing as soft teeth, but their years in practice taught them otherwise. They also said that in old(er) age medications can alter the saliva and that can cause tooth decay. So what were good teeth can go downhill with the various pills that age bring.

I use the little brushes between my teeth and then use a water pik. I then brush with an electric tooth brush and then use mouth wash. I also use a tongue scraper. I did have gum disease and had to have an expensive procedure done because I had such deep pockets between my teeth.

Since then I've done the above regiment and my dentist says my gums look great. I never had many cavities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back