Favorite pens!

I don't write in pen much, but I did like the Energel .7mm. Just a standard pen.

I have a copper pen that I really like except it gets wearing because it's so heavy, wish I would've got the slim version.

My #1 writing utensil is a Tactile Turn titanium pencil. Definitely my favorite pencil.

Once a month I use a now extinct Autopoint double end pencil. Once end black and one end red for accounting purposes. I inherited the one I use from the previous owner of where I work who was the company accountant. After I learned about it, I scoured ebay and found someone selling a few for reasonable, so I have backup pencils and backup parts.

Zebra - Sarasa Retractable Gel Ink Rollerball - Fast Drying - 0.7mm

1698342773686.jpg

Uniball 207, .7 mm medium.
The ink is pigmented and cannot be washed off checks with solvents.
I like the BLX version, black with a hint of color..

no contest, these are the best for the money...

They have a couple design flaws that driver me crazy! So I can't use them. Just the sight on one on a desk bothers me, and makes me question the judgement skills of the person using it.

First is the ink leaking past the seals. Most of the time it only makes it past a few of them, but on occasion, the ink will leak past all of them, and then you have ink on your fingers. Argh!!!

Second is the roller ball. The roller ball sometimes become dislodged from the tip on the pen, and go up inside. When it happens, they stop writing, and start digging into the paper. You end up with a splotch of ink on your paper. And the pen is trash. Sometimes it happens when the pen is still fairly new, and has a lot of ink left.

Edit: Oops! It is the Uniball, of the same design, that I had so bad of experience with. I've never used the Sharpie of this design.

Last edited:
They have a couple design flaws that driver me crazy! So I can't use them. Just the sight on one on a desk bothers me, and makes me question the judgement skills of the person using it.

First is the ink leaking past the seals. Most of the time it only makes it past a few of them, but on occasion, the ink will leak past all of them, and then you have ink on your fingers. Argh!!!

Second is the roller ball. The roller ball sometimes become dislodged from the tip on the pen, and go up inside. When it happens, they stop writing, and start digging into the paper. You end up with a splotch of ink on your paper. And the pen is trash. Sometimes it happens when the pen is still fairly new, and has a lot of ink left.

Edit: Oops! It is the Uniball, of the same design, that I had so bad of experience with. I've never used the Sharpie of this design.

Is it the uniball Precise v5/7 you're talking about? I have one a v5 right now and while I like how thin the ink line is, the ball doesn't roll very smooth. But like you said, the seals are falling and the ink is about to leak out of one of them.

The Pilot G2 rolls smooth but there's a noticeable difference of ink deposited in the middle of the ball vs the edge of the ball.

The uniball vision and vision elite rolls smooth but they like to deposit more ink than needed at the end of the stroke.

Is it the uniball Precise v5/7 you're talking about? I have one a v5 right now and while I like how thin the ink line is, the ball doesn't roll very smooth. But like you said, the seals are falling and the ink is about to leak out of one of them.

The Pilot G2 rolls smooth but there's a noticeable difference of ink deposited in the middle of the ball vs the edge of the ball.

The uniball vision and vision elite rolls smooth but they like to deposit more ink than needed at the end of the stroke.

That is the design. Any of the Uniball pens with the ink barrel design, that is supposedly "sealed" by the multiple fins.

Reactions: Pew
Pilot G2 in blue or red. I say red because I have to write important stuff down at work in red to make sure the service advisors see it because they don’t pay attention. But I use blue for everything else. Black only for drawing or if it’s required or sometimes at work if my blue pen runs out. Nothing wrong with the Bic Cristal or Round Stic pens. I prefer the Round Stic pens because they are more comfortable to hold than the Cristal. But Pilot G2 for the win though. I buy a 16 pack of them at Sam’s then refill them when they all run out. Everyone at work borrows my pens because the company ones we have suck lol.

Uniball 207 Micro (0.5mm) black.

Previously G2, which I found rougher, and more likely to gum up, especially the ones I kept in the glovebox to record MPG data.

Prior to gel rollerballs, a Lamy Safari ballpoint was the daily driver.

For pencils, any cheap 0.5mm Pentel mechanical with a comfortable barrel, but since I got a Rotring as a promo gift, been using it, and have come to appreciate its knurling and solidity.

For loaners that probably won't be returned-- whatever else is on hand.

I have at least one Montblanc 149 in my pocket every day. I have several of them, but gravitate toward either the EF or B nibbed ones, or lately have had one of each depending on the situation. I have a couple of OB, BB, OBB, and even a weird special one that's about a 6B and can write an EF if held correctly.

I use to think the Montblanc 146 was the perfect pen, but I'm down to two of them(one of which I will never sell, the other a nice 50s celluloid one) and find that I've gotten use to the larger size.

Honorable mention for me is the modern Parker Duofold Centennial. A recent favorite has been an early production(4th quarter 87) with a 14K B nib. The 14K nibs are a lot less common than 18K and are a decent bit softer.

Pens are another addiction hobby of mine. Obviously I like Montblancs, but I think some of my favorites are the 1930s-40s Parker Vacumatics. I do repair/restore these.

My go to pen was always the Zebra G-301 Super Fine was great for writing in small spaces of multi-page contracts. Used them for gosh like forever.
But I found another I like and is now my go to pen. I no longer write contacts but got used to nice fine lines. The Zebra (maybe as I got older?) hard plastic made it less comfy to hold after a while. By almost mistake one day I needed a pen and took one of my wife's promotional pens, the rest was history, purchased a multipack of these great writing, fine line disposable pens.
I see from other posts in here they also make refillable.

This one is still slim but has a really sweet this rubber grip built it, writes like a charm.

Jetstream Uni .07 ( I like the blue in this one)
Im not someone who cares about price if it's super quality but these things are just awesome for me. Hard to believe the price. Kind of stylish and stealthy too.

Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 9.29.35 AM.png

Back