How to deal with a lot of keys

I figured there are a lot of smart people here so I wanted to see what sort of decent solutions others have come up with. I have 3 big key fobs and a couple smaller older Chrysler keys, house keys, shop keys etc. they are a huge pain to carry everyday. I could make separate carabiners for each car but I’d have to copy a lot of extra keys. Is there a better way?

IMG_0484.jpeg

Off subject but when I was younger I tied my metal car key to the string in my bathing suit to go surfing and swimming. Later when I got keys with batteries and buttons had to rethink it. Usually just hid it, but I did see some lock boxes you could buy to fit your window glass or something.

I would have each car has it's own set of keys.

I have my keys setup where I can take groups off my main key ring. Such as my work keys, I carry them all day, I don't want to carry all of my keys all day.

Well, not like that.

We have 3 vehicles. The only set that has any amount of "keys" on it is my truck and there's 342 keys on it, like any southern-raised man has on a set of truck keys. The other two are push-to-start vehicles and there's 2-3 keys on them, my office keys and the lake house key.

We don't have a door key on any set of car keys we own. :oops::oops:

We use the garage door opener.... and we have one house key hidden on the property to use if all else fails.

I keep car keys separate from everything else. GM ignition woes convinced me to do that. For a while I had 3 keys on a separate key ring. Today I'll carry one car key fob, rest on a carabiner. I have 2 cars with stupid large fobs but will only carry "mine", wife carries hers, the spare to each car goes onto the key rack. As much as I like to "always" carry "all" my keys, I don't do that with our modern cars.

I have more than half a dozen cars at the house with a key rack at the front door. Take the key of the rack for the car I'm going to drive.
IMG_3036.JPG

Why would you take all those others with you? House has a push button combination lock, no key needed.
IMG_3037.JPG

Fords were great with surfers because you could lock your keys and wallet inside and use the pin-pad code to secure the car.

I hate these thick fobs, it's narcissistic of one car to demand so much space on my keyring. I cope by having just my Prius fob, house keys, camp keys, F150 keys, and 99 camry key on my ring. The fob is the only thing thicker than 1/16". If I need my wife's car I take the spare key.

Years ago, when cars had metal keys, a friend of the family who had several vehicles that were all of the same make had all of the vehicles worked on by the dealer so that they were all of the same key. Yes that's expensive but but it was worth it to him.

Back