Do you use a Waterpik for your dental hygiene ?

Do you use a Waterpik for your dental hygiene in addition to brushing daily / flossing ?

If so, which brand do you use ?

I never used one and Waterpik is a name brand. I guess the generic term is water flosser.

I've been using one for several years now. My dental hygienist recommends using one. She tells me that she can tell who uses a water pick when she cleans their teeth. She says that patients who use a water pick have healthier gums.

Mine is a Waterpik. It works fine. About a year ago the pump quit cutting off when it reaches pressure. But it still does the job just fine. I've never used a different brand, so I can't say if they are any better or worse than others.

My dentist suggested a water pick as well but I was doped up on novocain so I may have been hallucinating.

Waterpick is great but is more like hosing down a dirty car before the actual wash. Keeps the toothbrush cleaner. Still floss.

Brushing & flossing daily + routine dental cleanings do not prevent periodontal disease?
"Normally" Yes, but in my case (gum recission and little pockets develop in my gums) argues for the water flosser to get into those areas that a brush and toothpaste don't. This is my dentist talking, and he makes no extra money from this advice.

Yes. Use a water pick with a couple of cap fulls of Listerine. Low setting, you don’t have to peel your gums back at a higher setting. Get your teeth cleaned for crying out loud at least 4 times a year. Or don’t. It’s your teeth, I don’t care.

I’ve been using one for a couple years on the advice/urging of my dental hygienist. After brushing & flossing, I’m surprised at the amount of gank that comes out while water picking.

Last edited:
I'm a daily flosser and wear a retainer every night to keep my teeth straight.
My wisdom teeth came in without issue but they are a pain to brush as I feel like throwing up getting back there. I have 3 total cavities, all in my wisdom teeth.

I don't let starches or food sit on my teeth. I often have a few baby carrots after I eat. I have been considering a waterpik.

F5878CC8-FD81-4BAB-AF30-6711C7CBDEA4.jpg

I'm a daily flosser and wear a retainer every night to keep my teeth straight.
My wisdom teeth came in without issue but they are a pain to brush as I feel like throwing up getting back there. I have 3 total cavities, all in my wisdom teeth.

I don't let starches or food sit on my teeth. I often have a few baby carrots after I eat. I have been considering a waterpik.

View attachment 130925
Same here. I have retainers exactly like those I have to wear basically for the rest of my life (had braces). I keep toothpaste, a toothbrush, and floss in my car, my work truck, and at work. I floss and brush after every meal and after every little snack. I, too, have thought about buying Water Pik. We had one in our house mounted to every bathroom wall growing up. Each bedroom had it's own bathroom, with its own Water Pik. I remember they were huge and powerful! My friend's house (we were probably in the 5th grade) had water fountains like the ones in stores/businesses with fluoridated water. It was one of those mid-century modern houses probably built in the 50s-60s.

If your retainers ever irritate your mouth, get some Peroxyl. Stuff is like magic!

I'm very obsessive compulsive about my oral hygiene.

Last edited:
I have used one for a number of years after recommendation from a hygienist. Went from spending a long time in the chair for cleaning to it taking just a few minutes - multiple hygienists and completely changed dentists, so feedback not just from the recommending one.. My brushing habits haven't changed - just added the water flosser instead of regular floss. I still floss sometimes, but water floss twice a day.

My understanding is it helps remove small amounts of food that are stuck in between, as well as plaque an the gumline, which regular flossing can not.

Granted I have some very close fitting teeth and dental work, so maybe it depends on the person. Worked for me.

I use the Water Pik brand - tried a generic one at one time and it didn't last long but seemed to work fine while it did. I just use the cheap battery powered single person type - not the counter type, as I travel quite a bit and take it with. They last a year or two then die it seems. Still worth it to me.

Back