can u get a reliable used car for under $3k anymore?

well... pre- pandemic price pandemonium
as someone said earlier, look for the "orphaned" brands...
Mercury's were cheaper than their Ford/Lincoln twins...
in today's market, I'm not sure.....

I know this was not what you asked but what job does your wife work that necessitates a 250 mile round trip?

When doing my annual Net Worth this past New Year's Day I noticed that used cars are down a lot in value from last year. So good news.

Price and Value depends whether you're buying or selling. When I'm selling I can never get a decent price for a good car. When I'm buying they're expensive.

So being in the market constantly should get you a reasonable car for not a lot of money.

I wouldn't be keen on "no longer built" cars (though I really like SAABs). Parts are hard enough to find on older cars. I'd focus more on condition than miles. Some perfectly good cars will have high miles (like 200,000 plus).

You could probably buy my perfectly reliable 2007 Honda Accord V6 6MT for $3 - $4000 if I was selling it.

But I'm not selling it because it's reliable and not worth a lot of money. So they're out there. You just have to find one that someone is selling.

2006-2010 Sonata, very happy with my 2007. These engines don't catastrophically explode like the 2011+.

Edit: I will add that I lucked out and got this old lady owned car for a really good deal. These cars aren't usually that well taken care of, but you might just find a diamond in the rough.

5FB42F9D-AAA5-4258-8327-14359E9079FE.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes my wife had this conversation with a 80 year patient she got close with who sells cars in $3k-$9k range cash only . He said Ford focus for our new driver daughter we feel will 50/50 in accident .

Yes my wife had this conversation with a 80 year patient she got close with who sells cars in $3k-$9k range cash only . He said Ford focus for our new driver daughter we feel will 50/50 in accident .
steer clear of Focus 12-18 unless it's manual. terrible transmission, many law suits.

Last edited:
$3K isn't possible in my area unless someone is giving you a heck of a deal. I'm talking a running, driving car that has no CEL and will pass inspection. Having been through this twice helping my kids buy cars, $6500-7K is what you used to be able to get for $3-4K.

Get a Yaris, or a Yaris, or a Yaris.

They're small so a lot of people don't like them so the prices are low, but they run and they run and they run and they run. If property maintained it can easily go over 300,000 miles. And they don't drink a lot of fuel either. There may be an occasional thing but it won't break the bank to fix it and it won't be often. Try to find something with 100,000 miles or less on it if you can afford it, but one with more miles on it that has been properly maintained will still be a great buy, and you'll have something that will serve you well for many many years.

If you're buying an older one and you live in the Rust Belt get the underside of it well inspect it before you buy it.

As for your wife using it in blizzard conditions, I'm sure you already know,
just make sure it's got some really good tires on it.

Last edited:
Back