Bosch Dishwasher replaced our junk Maytag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
so the bosch vents on the side also --but has a better condensate catcher? other barands vent on front or dont have if side vented a condensate catcher?

Yes any steam that gets pushed out of the washer will go into that white plastic condensate trap on the side of the washer.

So far it appears like it does its job just fine but to be sure I'm going to pull it out again in a month and make sure everything looks okay.

My feelings are many people get so wrapped up in marketing "frills" of a product that do nothing to contribute to the product performing any better then a midrange priced product.
Bells, whistles, ya da ya da, = more complicated, more problems, shorter life span.

Washers are the perfect example, see it all day long in homes, front loading washer problems.

We have going on 12 year old Kenmore Elite top loading washer and dryer, never a repair and guess what? Its washes the clothes! *LOL*
My wife always says, why does anyone care how fancy a washing machine looks? Like doing the wash is some kind of glorious thing and people spend double the money on the washer and dryer for nothing. What is more, many people dont have the money to spend.

No problem with that if that is your thing, we like it simple and for it to work, thats it. No glory. Our dishwasher washes the dishes faithfully for the last 11 years (yes its a front vented design), same with the washer and dryer, stove and refrigerator (I did replace the ice maker)
Dont misunderstand our kitchen is nice and our appliances look nice as well, its just that they are midrange products (Elite style) that do what they are supposed to do and no more.

Last edited:
Several years ago we got a Bosch and it did not dry dishes well. Took it back to Lowes and got a Kitchenaid and been extremely pleased with it. It does vent steam out the front.

Exactly, I have found that the low end appliances with the least amount of bells and whistles and computers last the longest.We bought high end front load Whirlpool washer and dryers and the washer was a money pit, we also had a $500.00 Maytag dishwasher that was also constantly breaking down. Fed up with breakdowns We bought the low end top loader Roper washer and dryer set for $450.00 for the set from Lowes and the cheapest dishwasher that they had which was a Fridgidare, all white for about $230.00 out the door with my veterans discount. Sure it is a lot louder than our Maytag, and does not have 25 different wash options, but it has light, normal and pots and pans and that is enough. Less stuff to breakdown. IMO.

Our home came with a dishwasher. Surprisingly, our neighbor's home didn't. Regardless, we've used our dishwasher twice in the last three years. Once was when first moved in to make sure it worked. The second time was last summer just to make sure it still worked.

Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool
Originally Posted By: greenjp
Pretty wild the junk that gets peddled. Note, they peddled similarly junky stuff in the past, it's just that the only old stuff that's left was good to begin with so we don't see the junk.

Anyhow, curious how you settled on the 900 series Bosch. In my admittedly limited research I couldn't find a whole lot about them that represented a big jump in performance over the basic 300 series.

jeff

I wanted to go with a Meile, but there are no dealers, or repair people near us. So we went with the Bosch because it sounds like its the best of the worse as far as reliability goes. Plus it doesn't appear to have any major design defects.

I know two family members that have had Bosch dishwashers and loved them with no issues. So we will see....

If their dishwashers are as good as their vacuums, I would have found a way to buy a Miele.

We were churning through relatively "expensive" vacuums (Kenmores for the most part - $300-400 range) every 2-3 years. Getting tired of it, we bought a ~$1000 Miele around 8-9 years ago. It still runs like the day we first bought it and has been pretty much trouble free. Know people who've had theirs last ~20 years, which ours is well on the way.

Originally Posted By: BJD78
Exactly, I have found that the low end appliances with the least amount of bells and whistles and computers last the longest.We bought high end front load Whirlpool washer and dryers and the washer was a money pit, we also had a $500.00 Maytag dishwasher that was also constantly breaking down. Fed up with breakdowns We bought the low end top loader Roper washer and dryer set for $450.00 for the set from Lowes and the cheapest dishwasher that they had which was a Fridgidare, all white for about $230.00 out the door with my veterans discount. Sure it is a lot louder than our Maytag, and does not have 25 different wash options, but it has light, normal and pots and pans and that is enough. Less stuff to breakdown. IMO.

EXACTLY ...
Much of what you have are basic SOLID time proven components.
The "high" end stuff was designed in a "race" to see how much [censored] a company could pack into a appliance to beat the other company.
One must remember, the only reason for the extra [censored] and wash cycles and sound proofing is not extra reliability, its extra profit!

Miele is not all its cracked up to be.. I got the PG8083 for 3900 or so figuring it would be bullet proof .. not the case, trying to figure out a way to address a F13 error on my own. They stated a 5 year warranty on the unit when purchased won't honor it even though its not even 30 months in.. claim its 2 years now.. Used it primarily for washing baby bottles cups etc.. worked excellent till now.

Originally Posted By: Sierra048
Our home came with a dishwasher. Surprisingly, our neighbor's home didn't. Regardless, we've used our dishwasher twice in the last three years. Once was when first moved in to make sure it worked. The second time was last summer just to make sure it still worked.

A friend of mine and his wife are like yall. They do not use the dishwasher in their apartment. They wash everything by hand and dry it on a drying rack.

I grew up in a very basic 800 sq foot house in NY, with no dishwasher, or anything extra. I always lived in super old houses in NY that didn't have "extras" like a dishwasher.

When I got my first apartment in Texas at 30 years old that was the first time I used a dishwasher.

I don't know how I lived without it before. It was pretty funny here I am walking around my modest apartment, marveling at something like a dishwasher, a garbage disposal, and central air conditioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back