New-ish Maytag washing machine from 2018 is already dead

When we purchased our house in 1995 we got brand new washer & dryer, Inglis brand - Canadian only FWIR. The Inglis washing machine lasted until 2018 and it was replaced with a Maytag HE top loader, model MVWC415EW2 and yesterday we paid $220 to find out it's not worth repairing. Ironically the original Inglis gas dryer is still working at age 29 !! Basically the Maytag washer was less that 6 years old and it's garbage, says right on the control panel that it's made with "Maytag Commercial Technology" with a 10 year warranty for motor and inner drum. Never again.

The service technician who did the Time of Death for the Maytag recommended the brand Huebsch tr7104wn, which is the Canadian version of Speed Queen TR7. Made in Ripon Wisconsin. Comes packed with Cheese ? For whatever reason Speed Queen name is not allowed to be sold in Canada, must be some obscure history on that ruling.

The new TR7 ( not the British Leyland genes I hope! ) will be delivered tomorrow. 2x the price of anything else, but the technician said he hardly ever has service calls for the brand.

Wish me luck?

I have heard that Speed Queen is very good but pricey. Our Maytag dishwasher and built in microwave only lasted about 8 years. The Maytag refrigerator is still working well, knock on wood, it's 18+ years old. Our 15 year old Samsung washer and dryer are still working but I have had to repair both a few times. Our Jen-Air gas range is also 18+ years old but I have had to repair it a few times too. I have a Kenmore refrigerator in the garage that is 37 years old and still doing well without any intervention. Good Luck!

When we purchased our house in 1995 we got brand new washer & dryer, Inglis brand - Canadian only FWIR. The Inglis washing machine lasted until 2018 and it was replaced with a Maytag HE top loader, model MVWC415EW2 and yesterday we paid $220 to find out it's not worth repairing. Ironically the original Inglis gas dryer is still working at age 29 !! Basically the Maytag washer was less that 6 years old and it's garbage, says right on the control panel that it's made with "Maytag Commercial Technology" with a 10 year warranty for motor and inner drum. Never again.

The service technician who did the Time of Death for the Maytag recommended the brand Huebsch tr7104wn, which is the Canadian version of Speed Queen TR7. Made in Ripon Wisconsin. Comes packed with Cheese ? For whatever reason Speed Queen name is not allowed to be sold in Canada, must be some obscure history on that ruling.

The new TR7 ( not the British Leyland genes I hope! ) will be delivered tomorrow. 2x the price of anything else, but the technician said he hardly ever has service calls for the brand.

Wish me luck?
Our Maytag front load of the same vintage is on the way out. It's likely the control board and those are $250 to DIY. I just ordered a replacement machine as oilBabe is not really a fan of the front loader. We may have a bit more time without ours. I think we got it in 2017 maybe 2018. Sometimes, when we turn it on, it turns itself off right away.

Not putting any more money into it. Going to have the neighbor help me unstack them this weekend and next week the replacement top loader should arrive and I'm just having ours hauled off.

I just went over the dryer with new drum wheels, belt and belt tensioner. The dryer is easier than the washer, and should last longer. It's a year or two newer as we purchased it in 2019.

I have a washer/dryer set bought at a Sears surplus store in 2003. They are Kenmore brand, actually made by Whirlpool. Front loader washer. Other than a drum belt on the dryer, they have given 20 plus years of service, trouble free. I hope they last forever, because the stuff sold now is, in comparison, junk.

My inlaws just got speed queen washer/dryer and they are happy with it. its basically a commercial 70's style washer built in 2024 best I can tell. Not fancy and doesn't have a huge capacity, but should last forever.

We have a Whirlpool set (top loader washer) that are 11 years old and still going strong..

Wish me luck?

Getting a new front loader or top loader? I've always wanted a front loader on a pedestal as it would take a lot of strain off our backs from loading and unloading. Speed Queen as a long warranty (5yr) in the US.

I recently had to perform the first repair on our 30 year old top loading Kenmore washer as the anti backflow valve was plugged with a zipper slide and a bunch of lint. I'll probably have to fix something again on it in a decade or so. I'm not looking forward to buying a new one any time soon. It's one of those things that isn't made better with new bells and whistles. Clean is clean.

I'm not sure if this is the one, but the guy with the youtube channel and he dresses up like the Maytag repairman recommended it.

The problem I see with the above is too few reviews and not actually that good. I want lots of reviews like 1k+ and enough good ones to push the rating up...that's what I did with the 2024 gas dryer. What else can I?

He said all new refrigerators are "trash." That's scary, as all appliances today likely are.

I have one of those Maytag front loaders. About the same age as yours. I sure hope it doesn't break. I really like the machine.
In another life I was an appliance repair guy. Worked on Maytag or actually seldom. They were simple machines that would last. Not like the high tech garbage out there today.
My best washer was a Kenmore that I bought in 79. Not efficient with water but was still in reliable service 20 years old when I sold the house. That thing may still be running.
New appliances suck.....all of them.

Haven't bought a major appliance since 1996 and wondering when my luck runs out?
I will only buy lower tech stuff....used if I have to. All these modern controls/computers aren't worth the hassle.

Maytag top loader washing machine given to me used in 1995 where it had been in use for years in a 3 family house.
Bought GE refrig new in 1992. We vacuum out the dust annually.
Bought Kenmore dryer new in 1992. Replaced a belt over 15 yrs ago. Clean the duct work / flapper 2X per year.
Bought Frigidaire electric range in 1996.

I have the cheapest GE washer and dryer from HH gregg in 2013 pair was under $500 delivered
Once in a while I feel like a new washer but this one keeps going.. needs bearings now.. $$$ almost as much as it cost new.
Sounds like a jet engine powered train in the basement.
It doesnt owe me anything. I'm afraid if I repair it .. it will go kaput.
Might be better to replace the whole thing.

I do have itchy skin so I always run double rinse.. and a small amount of free and clear detergent.

We actually have a speed queen dealer 1 mile away from my house.

Likely I'll buy something that is $500 at costco.. Prefer LG to samsung.. but like tires I search by model not brand for reviews etc.

My local appliance store carries Speed Queen and pushes them. I’m not a fan. The capacity is too small and the agitator doesn’t work that great. GE or Hotpoint do a better job.

I have a washer/dryer set bought at a Sears surplus store in 2003. They are Kenmore brand, actually made by Whirlpool. Front loader washer. Other than a drum belt on the dryer, they have given 20 plus years of service, trouble free. I hope they last forever, because the stuff sold now is, in comparison, junk.
Got to agree with you. Sold our home last year, bought it new 16 years ago. All Whirlpool and Kenmore Elite appliances. Washer, dryer, refrigerator, range, microwave, dishwasher, oh heck let’s also mention two HVAC builder grade 16 year old units.

Not one failure, still looked like new when we sold the house last year. At some point I did replace the heating unit for the ice maker myself.

Now in another new home, appliances look gorgeous, combination of LG and GE (GE is now Chinese owned, LG South Korea) I don’t expect them to be trouble free for 16 years at least they look well refined 🙃
Also has Lennox HVAC and I doubt that will be as trouble free as builder grade Heil of last home. Sign of the times I guess. I expect one more set of new appliances before I leave this earth, hopefully 🫤 because I don’t think they’re going to be as trouble free as units from the past but at least they look good and hopefully get 10 years out of them.

We tried to buy the one remaining American company we knew, and that was whirlpool, but they just seemed so sloppy in construction and materials for the price

Back