Bosch Dishwasher replaced our junk Maytag

Status
Not open for further replies.
the other bosch oddity was that their manual does not show pots or pans in the pictures. Is that a german thing? , i.e. you should wash them by hand?

as a plus they are quiet, at least mine is, I have a mid line one, no pan under it. and they have no heating element to burn plastic dishes or utensils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
And my $1000 3yo LG washer started leaking this weekend. Appliances suck. You used to be able to buy one, put it in and forget about it for 20 years. No more.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
That yucks ... my Kenmore Elite is over a decade old and zero issues with it or 5 other stainless KE machines we got during a remodel ...
Odds of that is pretty slim these days

Remember when they used to be over engineered and built in America? My last Maytag lasted over twenty years.

Last edited:
Our 5 year old dryer started making a squealing noise at the start for 10 minutes every time. Did some research, replaced a plastic drum wheel, put it back together and has been great over a year. Thankful it was only a drum wheel!

Seems you take a gamble buying any appliance these days

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
With so many problems, why not just was your dishes by hand ?

IIRC washing via dishwasher uses less water per dish/load.

Assuming that's the case, there's money to be saved in water heating and in time.

OP, Ive been most pleased with our Bosch dishwasher. Really quiet and does a great job. Ditto for our Bosch clothes washing appliances.

Good luck with yours!

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
the other bosch oddity was that their manual does not show pots or pans in the pictures. Is that a german thing? , i.e. you should wash them by hand?

as a plus they are quiet, at least mine is, I have a mid line one, no pan under it. and they have no heating element to burn plastic dishes or utensils.

Pretty sure our made in USA all-clad pots and pans say not to clean in the dishwasher. I dont recall my mother or grandmothers ever washing pots and pans in a dishwasher for that matter.

I am certainly glad you brought this to my attention. I will look at other manufacturers when buying my next dishwasher.

Love my Bosch dishwasher. It's pretty much silent. Guessing it's at least a decade old if not older. Stainless steel still looks great. I would hesitate to buy another brand for sure. Kinda hard to get excited about a dishwasher, but Bosch has been the best one I've ever had.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: knerml
I love Bosch dishwashers.

We do too. This is our second one. The first, a Kenmore made by Bosch, went when we sold our house.

In our new to us house the dishwasher quit, and rather than spend hundreds on parts, we spent twice as much on a low cost Bosch. Much quieter and does a good job.

PS We gave the not too old dishwasher to a DIY guy with the advice he look for another one. Chances are he could swap around a few parts and get one running. I used to do that.

And my $1000 3yo LG washer started leaking this weekend. Appliances suck. You used to be able to buy one, put it in and forget about it for 20 years. No more.

We live in a disposable world. Every thing is manufactured for the cheapest amount for the most profit. See signature!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool
Well we went with a Bosch 900 series Dishwasher to replace our junk 2 year old Maytag with a fatal flaw, a design defect that will ruin you cabinents and possibly harbor mold.

Aren't you the guy who uses the dishwasher 3-4X as much as a normal family, 12 runs a week or something? Have to wonder what the design parameters are of residential dishwashers. Honestly if your usage is far more than considered normal is it really a design flaw? Hope you get good service out of the Bosch.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Originally Posted By: 4WD
That yucks ... my Kenmore Elite is over a decade old and zero issues with it or 5 other stainless KE machines we got during a remodel ...
Odds of that is pretty slim these days

Remember when they used to be over engineered and built in America? My last Maytag lasted over twenty years.

We want cheap we get cheap. Spending more=more bells and whistles/more things that can break.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Well we went with a Bosch 900 series Dishwasher to replace our junk 2 year old Maytag with a fatal flaw, a design defect that will ruin you cabinents and possibly harbor mold.

Aren't you the guy who uses the dishwasher 3-4X as much as a normal family, 12 runs a week or something? Have to wonder what the design parameters are of residential dishwashers. Honestly if your usage is far more than considered normal is it really a design flaw? Hope you get good service out of the Bosch.

Yep! That's me, lol.

The thing is I am not the only one who has noticed this issue. If the machine was only used a few times a week, the buildup would be less, that's true. But there is still steam escaping into the enclosed space and getting the insulation wet and such.

The grinder pump failure I don't care about. It's a great machine except for the steam venting issue.

It's painfully obvious that Bosch put some thought into the issue of not having a vent on the door... thanks for the good wishes.

The Bosch has a third rack which makes it so we can fit a lot more into the washer. We do less loads now, say 10 a week.

It will be interesting to see how the Bosch handles the heavy use...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
I have a 6 month old whirlpool, a higher end model of theirs. It appears to be vented on the left side of the door. Did yours have a vent on the front at all?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/whirlpool-2...p?skuId=5796526

Ours had no vent on the door whatsoever. I believe your model should be fine.

thanks. I should have been more clear, too. The vent is on the upper left side (edge) of the door, not on the left side of the front. So if an exhaust vent, it would blow to the left, not outward.

this is good information to know. I have worked on my 28 year old Kitchenaid one time for a soap door issue. I guess I will hang on to it till it can't be fixed anymore.

I had a Bosch that was nice many years ago, but after about 16 months the heater went out. it's an inline heater not the big rod style heater like an electric oven... and was around $200 to replace. Not very thrilled about that.

My latest dishwasher is a Kenmore Elite (don't know who/where it's manufactured, don't care) that's been in about 3 years, and it has been flawless. All you can ever hear while it's running is a slight sloshing of water, can't even hear the pump when it's draining. It's like 43dBA or something silly like that. It's got a turbo wash on the back wall that will take baked macaroni and cheese off a casserole dish with no pre-cleaning. Best dishwasher yet that I've had, and got it on sale for like 30% off plus a bunch of Sears points because the new model was coming out. Was a $1200 washer I got for about $550 after delivery.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back