Should I replace this dishwasher?

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
I have a bottom of the line el cheapo Frigidaire dishwasher that came with the house 9 years ago. I can't complain too much about it, the dishes have always come out spotless and although it's not silent it's quiet enough to not be intrusive. The racks are those cheap vinyl coated ones and they're starting to rust. It has always errored out once every few months mid cycle and shutdown but last month it did it two cycles in a row so I assumed it was dying and went shopping online. Found a great deal on a much nicer $899 unit that was on backorder and pulled the trigger. Of course the existing unit has been perfect since I ordered the new one. Should I cancel the order or just go ahead and replace it anyway?

I really don't care about a dishwasher so would prefer to save the money, but my luck it'll die as soon as I cancel the order for the new one.

Screenshot 2024-03-02 132528.jpg

My guess is, if you cancel, you will probably need a new dishwasher in a year anyway. So all you are saving is the deferral of the purchase by a year. And in a year, the price of that new one may increase.

If it were me, I would go ahead with the purchase and installation of the new one.

Anything 10yrs old is built better than what you'll get today. If it works and you can tolerate it, I'd keep it until something you can't easily fix, breaks on it.

Reactions: wlk
We had a Bosch that was ten years old and was still working. The kitchen/living room is one big area. I really didn't think the dishwasher was noisy but my wife said it was. Bought the same new model (60db) to replace it. The noise difference (or lack there/of) is amazing.
Dishwashers get noisier gradually-you don't notice it.
The Bosch is about $200.00 more than you purchased.

We had a Bosch that was ten years old and was still working. The kitchen/living room is one big area. I really didn't think the dishwasher was noisy but my wife said it was. Bought the same new model (60db) to replace it. The noise difference (or lack there/of) is amazing.
Dishwashers get noisier gradually-you don't notice it.
The Bosch is about $200.00 more than you purchased.
I have a 16 year old Bosch and it’s quiet. I’d buy again. It’s assembled in USA.

I have a bottom of the line el cheapo Frigidaire dishwasher that came with the house 9 years ago. I can't complain too much about it, the dishes have always come out spotless and although it's not silent it's quiet enough to not be intrusive. The racks are those cheap vinyl coated ones and they're starting to rust. It has always errored out once every few months mid cycle and shutdown but last month it did it two cycles in a row so I assumed it was dying and went shopping online. Found a great deal on a much nicer $899 unit that was on backorder and pulled the trigger. Of course the existing unit has been perfect since I ordered the new one. Should I cancel the order or just go ahead and replace it anyway?

I really don't care about a dishwasher so would prefer to save the money, but my luck it'll die as soon as I cancel the order for the new one.

View attachment 206338
Get the new one but add an extended warranty. My parents bought a GE and the heater element cracked, then the pump housing went bad right outside of the warranty.

Replace it and use the old one as a parts washer in the garage.

Bosch is all I will buy. Sorry about that. They don't need to boast about quiet, because they are.

My peeve with almost all the new DWs..........rinsing (water saving!!) is not what it used to be in the old days. You are going to jigger with your situation, and you will need to make sure all washed items are absolutely soap free. It varies with water quality, soap, load, grub on dishes, etc. In some situations (really super soft water, for example, rinse aids worsen the actual soap removal (yeah I know)

I think if you have space, shop and get the model you want for the best deal/sale. Be patient. If yours takes a dump, just swap in the new one without a panic buy.

It is pretty much a crap shoot with any appliance these days. Your old one is on its way out, get the new one and get the extended warranty. I usually don't like those warranties but they have saved my daughter on two occasions (a washer and a dryer).

Miele if you can swing it. It replaced a Kitchenaid that I only had to replace a bimetalic strip once in its 22 yrs and I replaced it with the Miele which is 18 yrs now and now trouble whatsover.

Man, you can spend a lot of time researching and learning about dishwashers. Trump was a proponent of rolling back the dishwasher regulations. Older dishwashers do work better than new ones due to the regulations. I've fixed my 22 year old GE dishwasher a couple of times. Once it needed a new pump. I think it only needed a new check valve but I replaced the whole part. The second time it needed a reset. Turning the breaker off and on fixed it. I'm not sure when the regulations started so your 9 year old machine might be before the regulations or might be after. If after, go ahead and buy the new one.

replace. I ditched my builder grade all plastico model and never looked back.
got a great deal on a maytag from costco.
1709427325812.jpg

Last edited:
I looked at the Bosch, I wasn't impressed. They got rid of the countdown timer so you can't easily see when the cycle will be done and they're all Wi-Fi enabled so I guess you need an app to see it. Of all the things in my house, the last thing I am interested in having online are my appliances. I had a 10% off coupon I used when I ordered this one so it's this one or nothing.

If you're willing to show up in person, the best place to go for a dishwasher is a Best Buy outlet.

I got my Bosch 800 which is usually around $1000 for only $324. I paid a guy $100 to install it because the space I have is incredibly tight and difficult.

Our first dishwasher lasted over 20 years and we even used two sets of racks during that journey. I would cancel the order and just see if you can find another rack at a repair shop or someone on Craigslist/Facebook who is getting rid of a similar model. I believe you can also use some type of paint like protection on a rack if it's starting to rust on the tips.

All three items (dishwasher / stove / refrigerator) were 20 years old and still worked, when I bought all new appliances about 15 years ago. I didn't want them sitting at the curb with a Free sign on them. So I had the appliance truck driver and helper haul them away - onto their box truck and watched them drive away.

I have no idea what happened to those-3 Harvest Gold items that still worked well. I have no regrets in what I did. Nobody I knew wanted any of those-3 items. About eight years ago, I did the exact same thing with our 12 year-old washer and 25 year-old dryer that still worked. It was time to update those-2 and I never carried any regrets about that either.

Out with the old and in with the new.

Back