Whirlpool dishwasher

My Whirlpool dishwasher will not fill with water. It's run fine for years. Then this started. It happened a week or two ago and I fooled with cycles, moved float up and down (was down and not stuck) and it worked for a few days. Now it back to not filling. Don't have little kids who might hide under the sink and turn water supply off.

So it does seem to move through the cycles and ends. Display goes off. But no washing of dishes.

Replaced the fill valve solenoid and no help.

So there is a float valve micro switch, door micro switch and control board.

I think if the door micro switch were not working it would not move through the cycles.

So float micro switch or control board. I ordered both.

I can test float micro switch with ohm meter. I am guessing when the float is down the micro switch is closed. So if the micro switch failed open then it would never let in water.

Assuming that's not the issue then control board. There are three control boards. But two handle the display and buttons.

I cannot find a real appliance tech trouble shooting guide. Talked to Whirlpool and they do not have one, at least not that they will share with me.

Other ideas.

Last edited:
Just the solenoid? Not the valve?
It's one piece you order that is both. It was not open when tested with an ohm meter. But replaced since I had it in my hand.

Attachments

• PXL_20231109_231620064.jpg
    PXL_20231109_231620064.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 10
How old is this thing.

Costco nice one 500-600$ on sale.

disclaimer by "nice one" stainless interior and cleans well..

not a bosch 800 series

before I spend more than 100 or 200$ fixing I'd consider new.
something like this is pretty attractive
its not loud.. its noticeable when its chopping for a couple mins out of the cycle.
I am not sure how easy it will be to install a new one given how it's installed. It's all customer kitchen cabinets. I sure hope they did not finish building the cabinet after dishwasher was installed.

I know I cannot install by myself. Need several hands lifting and setting it in place.

Having it raised does save one bending over a lot. There is a large cutout above the bottom drawer and you can get to the guts of the dishwasher by removing the bottom drawer.

Attachments

• PXL_20231109_231804140.jpg
    PXL_20231109_231804140.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 50
Sometimes it smart to replace an appliance verses fixing one.

OP-define "it's run fine for years".......

1. Ran since we bought the house in 2017.
did it come with the house? so its unknown age? 6yr+?

I dont know your strength but it might be possible to tilt one end in then slide it?
the maytag I listed is 23 7/8 width and 85lb

costco has free install....

Last edited:
Dishwashers don’t weigh much. Maybe the inlet to the hose is plugged up or the hose itself is swollen inside.

I am not sure how easy it will be to install a new one given how it's installed. It's all customer kitchen cabinets. I sure hope they did not finish building the cabinet after dishwasher was installed.

I know I cannot install by myself. Need several hands lifting and setting it in place.

Having it raised does save one bending over a lot. There is a large cutout above the bottom drawer and you can get to the guts of the dishwasher by removing the bottom drawer.
That's.... Unique

So I was thinking this morning that if the float micro switch failed open then it would think the machine was filled with water and continue the cycle.

It looks like it needs to be changed from the front. Not through the cutout in my cabinet.

I have removed the two screws and the bottom trim piece is loose but cannot get it out given how the machine is installed. Videos show taking the outside of the door off and then there is enough room to get the bottom trim piece out.

I wonder if costco free install covers putting it in that builtup .. I bet it does.

There is something to be said for repairing.. I try everything to save $$$.

but sometimes throwing in the towel on a new one is the right answer/backup plan.

side story new gas water heater that plumber installed at the MIL's leaks. :(
Plumber moved the expansion tank to a 3 way right on top of the water heater.
Old location plugged and drips.. for 10days before I got over to look at it.

Another reason why I like doing it myself.. if its fixed its fixed even if not quite the same way as a pro
who "fixes" and leaves leaks etc.

I did hire a craigslist plumber(he was retired) to run some gas line.. was so cheap it was like 30$ more than just buying the pipe.
2 old guys showed up. it was like a comedy show from TV.. but they did a good job.

It's one piece you order that is both. It was not open when tested with an ohm meter. But replaced since I had it in my hand.
Exactly how did you test the old one? I mean an ohm meter test is not a functional test and I would think that one could bench test such a device at least to the point of energizing it and listening for a click or something.

Exactly how did you test the old one? I mean an ohm meter test is not a functional test and I would think that one could bench test such a device at least to the point of energizing it and listening for a click or something.
Well the old one was not open nor a dead short so coil is probably OK. Since new one did not fix the problem an educated guess is that they are both OK as far as coil and valve go.

Back