Anyone remember cash for clunkers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: E150GT
Originally Posted By: jdawg89
Originally Posted By: khittner
Worked fine for me. My mother-in-law fobbed off my father-in-law's early-90s Suburban gas-guzzler, and bought the most American car available (in terms of U.S.-made parts and assembly content)---a Tennessee-built Toyota Camry. She's still driving it eight years later, and saved more than half the fracked dinosaur juice that the Suburban would've swilled. She also sold her '02 Camry to me in the deal, and my son is still driving that one at 260+K miles. Multiple wins for my family from that "public policy failure".
but a perfectly good suburban got ruined out of it.

Maybe. Maybe not. Could have been a piece that was going to go to the wrecker anyway.

And if that is the case, then the replacement would have been purchased anyway.

This is a big problem with the program. For the program to have been successful, it had to take vehicles that had life in them and incentivized the buyer to trade it before they were ready to by a replacement.

If the buyer was already planning to trade anyway, because it was a clunker, or because they wanted something smaller, or whatever, then this program really didn't motivate a buyer to a transaction not already planned.

In other words, it's set for failure. If the goal was to drive ADDITIONAL sales of more fuel efficient vehicles, the trade in of something that was likely to be traded in without the program is a failure. It's not an additional sale. It was one already planned with a taxpayer funded incentive.

If the vehicle had value, then it's a loss because the vehicle is being purchased by the program and destroyed. Any value is lost because it's not being used by the government.

The program was a lose-lose proposition for the vast majority of we 300 million Americans.

It did create 2000 jobs for one year and give 700k car owners a break on their vehicle.

But for the other 300 million of us, it was a big loser.

I remember looking for a new car at the time, and CFC caused new car prices to increase by a few thousand within a few days. I remember seeing an Accord go from $20k to $23k almost instantly. Most buyers didn't save money because the value of their clunker was offset by the higher new car price and the increase in sales tax, registration fees, etc. The program mainly benefited car dealers because they made a few thousand dollars more per car. CFC was a complete sham

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Terriable thing.
Painful to watch all those nice caddy Northstar getting purposely blown up.
It hurt the economy and a big waste of money. Most of the people that cashed in on it probably got thier car repoed by now. All it did was put people in debt and take away alot of cheap transportation.
Of all the members on here, did anyone make out on that deal because I never met anyone that actually said, Yeah, that was a Great program.

I work with a dude who made out pretty well. Turned in a rotbox Nissan pickup, bought a Focus for his wife.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
that program ruined the used car market for an entire generation.

Sorry, but that is as much hyperbole as the government claiming it did any good.

Like I said, more cars were lost in the used car market from the loss of nearly 6 million new vehicle sales each year until the new vehicle market came back to 2007 levels.

The destruction of 700k trade-ins was a drop in the bucket compared to 6 million trade-ins not even happening because people were not buying new vehicles.

Terriable thing.
Painful to watch all those nice caddy Northstar getting purposely blown up.
It hurt the economy and a big waste of money. Most of the people that cashed in on it probably got thier car repoed by now. All it did was put people in debt and take away alot of cheap transportation.
Of all the members on here, did anyone make out on that deal because I never met anyone that actually said, Yeah, that was a Great program.

Well, let's do the math. There are about 300 million Americans. Let's say 100 million households give or take.

There were only 700k C4C deals. That means maybe 0.7% of households were involved in a C4C deal. So if you had a room full of 140 people, all from different households, the odds are ONE of them had a C4C deal in their household.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I read where someone traded in some nice, good condition classic car, like a 67 Mustang or something.

One vehicle scrapped was a Buick GNX.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
that program ruined the used car market for an entire generation.

Not sure if I would go that far, but it definitely made it harder to find decent used rust-free cars here in CT. I remember one of my friends worked at a dealer during that time, and he saw so many clean rust-free Jeeps destroyed and wasn't allowed to buy them off the lot. He said the most common vehicles were Grand Cherokees and Explorers.

My younger sister was looking for a car during that time, and I remember a lot of the prices being higher because people claimed they could just trade it in on another one and get 4500 for it. It realistically hurt the 1500-3500 dollar used car market which is what an at the time high school student with a minimum wage job was looking for.

Originally Posted By: xfactor9
I remember looking for a new car at the time, and CFC caused new car prices to increase by a few thousand within a few days. I remember seeing an Accord go from $20k to $23k almost instantly. Most buyers didn't save money because the value of their clunker was offset by the higher new car price and the increase in sales tax, registration fees, etc. The program mainly benefited car dealers because they made a few thousand dollars more per car. CFC was a complete sham

That's how I remember it as well.

.... Most of the people that cashed in on it probably got thier car repoed by now. All it did was put people in debt and take away alot of cheap transportation.

I won't say it was a great program, but my wife still drives, daily, the 2009 Torrent GXP that I C4C'ed our '99 ( maybe '97 - don't recall ) AWD S-10 Blazer on. The Torrent just hit the century mark earlier this year. It's been a terrific vehicle. Beat that Blazer like a full house beats two of a kind.

The Blazer was no heap by any stretch, and the AWD variants were uncommon, but, tough noogies, everything has to go some time, and that was its fate. Love the Torrent GXP. Wish I could have found two - would have got a second for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back