Cash for Gas

its a strange concept for me as a canuck that ones gets a discount on gas for paying cash. ive never seem such a thing in my travels around here

its a strange concept for me as a canuck that ones gets a discount on gas for paying cash. ive never seem such a thing in my travels around here
It is weird but here the pump says the cash price and if you insert a card the price changes right on the pump to the higher price.

Other places read the high price and when you pay cash the pump will run over. Like you pay $20 the pump will read like $20.58 or whatever it is. I've seen both.

It’s dumb enough where some stations stopped bcs they could see all the cars across the street filling up …

I had to tell my 18 year old paid 50% of her income in cash tips to go back in and get change :). Apparently clerks tell her she is rare customer who walks in to pay gas only with cash.

Around 2014 we went to Toronto for a wedding. What a disaster. You had gone to chipped credit cards. My CC’s had chips but not in use in the USA. I would get declined at the pumps and have to go inside.

I don’t think it’s a cash discount (the absolute price), it’s discouraging folks from using credit so the merchant saves the interchange fee. Walmart has thought of it but I haven’t seen it.

When this practice reaches costco then the fat lady has sung. Kinda like 52 Oz half gallons and 29 oz quarts. When I was in hs a quart was 32 oz and a half gallon double that. 2x29 is 58, not 52

I had to tell my 18 year old paid 50% of her income in cash tips to go back in and get change :). Apparently clerks tell her she is rare customer who walks in to pay gas only with cash.
Reminds me of when I went to the police station to get a dmv form signed by Leo. My wife’s plate delaminated and couldn’t be read. If Leo or registered shop signs, free replacement by Harrisburg.

He told me you’re the first person who ever asked for this form to be signed by me. Most people want their plates unreadable or they use ghost plates

My wife likes to tip in cash for the server’s sake.

My local Sunoco rounded up is $3.14 for regular and $3.04 for cash.
No big deal but I like the cash option as the gas stations in my area are never crowded and
no waiting and going in and paying doesn't inconvenience others.
The reason being no CC bill at the end of the month and on my new Maverick I fill up from
a half of a tank always and it's just a $20 bill.
I have traditionally payed with cash for most any in person transaction, but soon was confronted with long lines of locals buying beer and cigs and scratch tickets at the filing stations - plus it's a long walk at most places to the register. So about 15 years ago changed to the cash back CC model. Now I have about a half a million discount miles on my cc. Took the cash-out option a few times, but miles are worth 2x for plane tix so I am currently in a holding pattern. Oh, see what I just did there!

In Massachusetts it is illegal to surcharge for CC payment so some joints do a cash discount from ad price. looks like a money loser, but maybe not as it brings you into that slimy convenience store.

Just had a shady business take over most Irving stations around here and they pump advertise a Member price - I'll have to check into New Hampshire law- that sound like the would be contary to some statute,

It is no longer available to new applicants, but can be grandfathered in from previous PenFed CC.

PenFed Credit Union Platinum Cash Rewards VISA

If you are looking for a new CC with the 5% cashback on gas, I'd recommend the Platinum VISA from ABOUND Credit Union. It deducts the cashback from your outstanding balance on each monthly statement, has no annual fees, and offers 1% cashback on all other categories. The only drawback is that the 5% cashback on gas is limited to $1500 in gas purchases annually.

ABOUND CU Platinum VISA
hmmmm....I wonder if 5% still does exist? But the terms were shuffled? Because 5% is simply deducted off the statement every month for us. Here, it says the reward is deposited....and this mentions a $25 annual fee? We don't have any fee.

Ah, in the upper right: This offer is no longer available.

Thanks - was curious if it was still around as I had not seen it on the PenFed site, thanks for the details. I have the Platinum Rewards Card which is 5% back in points but really equates to ~4.2% back once converted to a prepaid card to redeem the points.

I rolled over to McDs. this morning and grabbed my usual 2 burritos and my large unsweet with extra ice.
My tab was $5.62, and I paid the young gal $5.65 cash on the barrel head and told her with her glazed over eyes to keep the change.
She knows how Jimmy rolls.

Down the road a few miles away I rolled into the now famous Sunoco gas station, but the gas went up to $3.059
I had to check my stock account to see if I could swing the purchase. All was good so I walked away from my monthly cash paid
Maverick into the store and with amazement as a crowd of bystanders watched me whip out a crisp and clean $20 bill.

You could hear a pin drop. The cashier did bow briefly you might say.
He then told me I was one of the few who pays cash. I responded that my mama always said I was one of a kind.
He then replied what kind was that. I told him mama never did tell. You could hear a slight gasp from the crowd.

I then frolicked like a schoolgirl to the gas pumps where I extracted 6.53808 gallons of fresh top tier 87 octane.
I then proceeded to dump my McDs trash into their basket.

I was rather pleased with myself as I journeyed home about 8 miles away and as I pulled into my lane and parked.
I was then reassured my way is the only way.

60 mpg.jpg

I rolled over to McDs. this morning and grabbed my usual 2 burritos and my large unsweet with extra ice.
My tab was $5.62, and I paid the young gal $5.65 cash on the barrel head and told her with her glazed over eyes to keep the change.
She knows how Jimmy rolls.

Down the road a few miles away I rolled into the now famous Sunoco gas station, but the gas went up to $3.059
I had to check my stock account to see if I could swing the purchase. All was good so I walked away from my monthly cash paid
Maverick into the store and with amazement as a crowd of bystanders watched me whip out a crisp and clean $20 bill.

You could hear a pin drop. The cashier did bow briefly you might say.
He then told me I was one of the few who pays cash. I responded that my mama always said I was one of a kind.
He then replied what kind was that. I told him mama never did tell. You could hear a slight gasp from the crowd.

I then frolicked like a schoolgirl to the gas pumps where I extracted 6.53808 gallons of fresh top tier 87 octane.
I then proceeded to dump my McDs trash into their basket.

I was rather pleased with myself as I journeyed home about 8 miles away and as I pulled into my lane and parked.
I was then reassured my way is the only way.

View attachment 202597
There's a method to your madness. I posted a while back what happened when I missed the minimum payment on AMEX, then paid in full the next day, days before the statement cut. Late fee, penalty interest rate, interest back to the beginning of prior month, AND FORFEITURE OF REWARDS BALANCE. I said I called to get everything reversed, which took 2 calls, and some responded why would you do that when it was your fault to begin with?

If the above happens only one time and is not reversed, better to have always used cash imho. But because of the above, I went through each and every account and set them to autopay balance in full at the due date....so your way, the above doesn't even enter one's mind as it can never happen...

There's a method to your madness. I posted a while back what happened when I missed the minimum payment on AMEX, then paid in full the next day, days before the statement cut. Late fee, penalty interest rate, interest back to the beginning of prior month, AND FORFEITURE OF REWARDS BALANCE. I said I called to get everything reversed, which took 2 calls, and some responded why would you do that when it was your fault to begin with?

If the above happens only one time and is not reversed, better to have always used cash imho. But because of the above, I went through each and every account and set them to autopay balance in full at the due date....so your way, the above doesn't even enter one's mind as it can never happen...
Wow.. crazy....
I dump them when they pull stunts like that.

Does anyone actually get $20s from the ATM any more?

They fill up your car, but not mine.

Can’t even get a good breakfast with a $20 and you can forget going out to dinner.

I get $50s

I would get $100s but some places have “policies” about them.

I have never had an ATM card or debit card so I wouldn't know. Never had a use for them.
I have ALLY and never used in 2 years. One day I saw a withdrawal for a purchase in Wilmington DE. I have never lost possession of it and the merchant was real. Card was in my wallet. Took about a week before the money was returned. Through that experience I learned by law they don’t have to return the money as they do with credit. Wise to not have a debit card. My dad told me debit cards are usually for people who carry a balance on credit cards. This way they avoid additional interest charges. I think ALLY was hacked but they said no.

I have never had an ATM card or debit card. But I use my credit card for most everything. I get a 2% rebate on everything. It really adds up.

Around here, the "Discount" is not so much a credit for cash.
They want to link to one's checking account.
Not gonna do it.
Still plenty of places that will take credit cards for the same price as the "Discount," and will still allow me to utilize PATP.
Between my PNC CC and my Citi Costco card, I can get 4% back on all the fuel I can burn.
Besides, I find it more convenient to use the plastic, take the CC rebate, and pay the balance off in full at the end of the month.

Back