Steve Jobs relationship with his oldest daughter, sad read

I’ve tuned out reading tabloids and stories on famous people’s personal lives.
What does it matter?
Who cares?
Look at your own neighborhood, if you care, I’m sure plenty of good stories.

The amount of pressure the C level live with is off the freakin' charts. There is no Mr. Nice Guy; your job is to maximize the wealth of the shareholders; people are tools to get the job done. Ruthlessness wins in a competitive market.

A lot of good stuff and generosity comes out of Silicon Valley, but a lot of people get chewed up and spit out, ultimately at the direction of the C level. It ain't pretty and it sure as heck ain't nice. It's hardball and Jobs played the game very well.

This is the life they choose.

You're missing the point. When you have 20 billion, you can give away 10 billion and not have a care in the world. Even 19 billion won't really hurt you unless you focus just on the number and not on what you need to live in this world.
I'm not missing the point, you said a few million, it's $59.1 billion, that's a lot of money, which supports what I said, he's donated a considerable amount of money to charity and philanthropy, or are you going to argue that almost $60 billion isn't a lot of money? Because Musk spent less than that on Twitter, and got cold feet, because.... it's a LOT OF MONEY.
When you make $60,000 a year and give away $5000, that hurts, and it's a far more generous offer because the generosity can't be separated from the pain/cost associated with it. And many, many people do that kind of thing yearly without recognition or desire for it.
Again, $59.1 billion dollars is a lot of help for other people. No, it doesn't have the impact on his lifestyle that it would for somebody making $60K and donating $5K, but it has a much bigger impact on the people being helped, because it's $59.1 billion dollars.
And the second point being, despite giving away lots of money, that doesn't suddenly negate the bad things he's done. He is far from being a saint.
Who said he's a saint? My statement was that love or hate him, he's donated an incredible amount of money to charity and philanthropy work. Unless the argument has somehow morphed into $59.1 billion not being a lot of money, that statement stands, and is accurate.

I’ve tuned out reading tabloids and stories on famous people’s personal lives.
What does it matter?
Who cares?
Look at your own neighborhood, if you care, I’m sure plenty of good stories.
I think we all have things that annoy us about billionaires - but those mostly discussed in this thread did allot for the 🇺🇸 and globe
IMO, the one who bought a political newspaper did more for 🇨🇳

I'm not missing the point, you said a few million, it's $59.1 billion, that's a lot of money, which supports what I said, he's donated a considerable amount of money to charity and philanthropy, or are you going to argue that almost $60 billion isn't a lot of money? Because Musk spent less than that on Twitter, and got cold feet, because.... it's a LOT OF MONEY.

Again, $59.1 billion dollars is a lot of help for other people. No, it doesn't have the impact on his lifestyle that it would for somebody making $60K and donating $5K, but it has a much bigger impact on the people being helped, because it's $59.1 billion dollars.

Who said he's a saint? My statement was that love or hate him, he's donated an incredible amount of money to charity and philanthropy work. Unless the argument has somehow morphed into $59.1 billion not being a lot of money, that statement stands, and is accurate.

That's not how the argument went. I said it costs nothing for these guys to donate what they do, everything is relative to their income and their net worth. I said bill gates dropping a million is like me dropping a penny, illustrating the massive difference in our respective net worths, that wasn't a statement of how much he (and I) actually donate.

You then said, well gates drops billions, but my point is that generosity can't be separated from the idea of how much it costs/hurts one to do the generous thing.

The more money you have, the better human being you are.
It seems 1/ that, but somehow the big guy/karma nearly always reveals that money makes some pretty rotten characters even more visible.

Gates didn't just start as a charitable human, nor did he turn into one. All this was prompted, requested, pushed. And a lot of it as a pleasant face covering.

It seems 1/ that, but somehow the big guy/karma nearly always reveals that money makes some pretty rotten characters even more visible.

Gates didn't just start as a charitable human, nor did he turn into one. All this was prompted, requested, pushed. And a lot of it as a pleasant face covering.
All of this is great distraction for the far worse problems happening just 300 miles south of me …

Thank god for Steve Jobs, created and enhanced 10s of thousands of US workers incomes.
Created a company that is a world standard.
*LOL* laughable that forum readers are commenting on the book written by a family member who had a better life than most ever could imagine and profiting from a book on the back of her dad no longer alive.
I dont see any mention that she was forced to clean her own room! *LOL*

That's not how the argument went. I said it costs nothing for these guys to donate what they do, everything is relative to their income and their net worth. I said bill gates dropping a million is like me dropping a penny, illustrating the massive difference in our respective net worths, that wasn't a statement of how much he (and I) actually donate.

You then said, well gates drops billions, but my point is that generosity can't be separated from the idea of how much it costs/hurts one to do the generous thing.
My post was:
OVERKILL said:
Yes, love or hate him, Bill Gates has put an incredible amount of money into philanthropy and charity work.
Steve Jobs relationship with his oldest daughter, sad read | Page 2 | Bob Is The Oil Guy

After which, you replied to the same person I did, and compared Gates to Hitler. Then, you made the below separate post:
hemioiler said:
It costs these guys absolutely nothing to donate what they do. Won't affect their life in the slightest. Many hundreds/thousands of people in various churches or faith based organizations donate more money (relative to yearly income) and have far less financial security to be doing so, it severely impacts their lives financially. Gates dropping a million here and there is like me dropping a penny. And its worse than that, because they're as financially secure as it gets unless they make poor decisions or take high risks which aren't needed.

It's nice they do it of course, but my point remains; a terrible person doing some good things doesn't all of a sudden make him a great human.

To which I responded, simply:
OVERKILL said:
Except it's a lot more than a few million when it comes to Gates:
Showing that it has been in fact $59.1 billion through the Gates foundation alone that he's donated. Which is a considerable amount of money, we are in agreement on that point, yes?

I'm not arguing the man's virtues, I made that clear in my first statement on the matter, which precedes your contributions to this thread, I've only pointed out that, when compared to other incredibly wealthy people, Gates has at least made an effort to donate this considerable sum of money, which is more than can be said for most of his peers.

I don't think anybody here is comparing Gates to Gandhi, or even to old Ma Smith who donates half her pension to the local shelter every year. He's being compared to Jobs, Bezos, Musk, Zuckerberg...etc. Remember, this thread is about Steve Jobs, lol.

Thank god for Steve Jobs, created and enhanced 10s of thousands of US workers incomes.
Created a company that is a world standard.
*LOL* laughable that forum readers are commenting on the book written by a family member who had a better life than most ever could imagine and profiting from a book on the back of her dad no longer alive.
I dont see any mention that she was forced to clean her own room! *LOL*
They grow up so fast 😷

IMG_1680.png
IMG_1682.png
IMG_1681.png

Bill Gates drops a lot of “donations” to charities and foundations that he or his wife owns.
I would say he’s a great money launderer that does a very good job of masquerading himself as a philanthropist.

Buffet did take him under his wings and I see very similar pattern that is established around their characters. Buffet is portrayed as a “down to earth” kinda guy with constant articles showing how he lives a very modest life. Gates is a great philanthropist, giving to all kinds of charities and foundations, driving research etc.

Both are super influential, both politically and economically, and one thing I learned over the years is that one doesn’t become this influential by just giving away money.

My post was:

Steve Jobs relationship with his oldest daughter, sad read | Page 2 | Bob Is The Oil Guy

After which, you replied to the same person I did, and compared Gates to Hitler. Then, you made the below separate post:

To which I responded, simply:

Showing that it has been in fact $59.1 billion through the Gates foundation alone that he's donated. Which is a considerable amount of money, we are in agreement on that point, yes?

I'm not arguing the man's virtues, I made that clear in my first statement on the matter, which precedes your contributions to this thread, I've only pointed out that, when compared to other incredibly wealthy people, Gates has at least made an effort to donate this considerable sum of money, which is more than can be said for most of his peers.

I don't think anybody here is comparing Gates to Gandhi, or even to old Ma Smith who donates half her pension to the local shelter every year. He's being compared to Jobs, Bezos, Musk, Zuckerberg...etc. Remember, this thread is about Steve Jobs, lol.

The poster above you which started all this said "Hasn't Bill Gates put millions into philanthropy? He may not have been the best husband but I don't think he gets lumped in with Jobs. Jobs was a monster."

So the connection at that point in the thread, the discussion may be trying to link the amount of money he's given vs "him not being a monster", as if donating lots of money that doesn't cost you anything to do is somehow noble.

I responded to that sentiment with my "millions vs penny" and "everything is relative", at which point you replied to me saying it's billions. You're focusing on the absolute amount of money he's donated, I'm focusing on the sacrifice it takes to donate whatever amount you're donating.

We can argue this forever, but the point remains: generosity contains an element of sacrifice. You can't call something generous, or virtuous, or noble if it costs you absolutely nothing to do that thing. Its not an indication of how good he is. And my second point is: (not directed at your comments, the extreme example of hitler): doing generous things while being a monster doesn't mean you're suddenly not a monster. Gates has done some shady stuff in his life, including the link to pedo island.

We can argue this forever, but the point remains: generosity contains an element of sacrifice. You can't call something generous, or virtuous, or noble if it costs you absolutely nothing to do that thing. Its not an indication of how good he is.
I agree, if we are looking at this purely philosophically, but in the context of this thread, the comparison is to his peers in that sphere of wealth, where he and Buffet tend to stand out for their charity work vs the others. No, it's not much of a sacrifice (if at all), but it's still more than others in that space are doing, who are not choosing to undertake the same efforts. So, does that make them worse? I think that's something to ponder in this specific context.
And my second point is: (not directed at your comments, the extreme example of hitler): doing generous things while being a monster doesn't mean you're suddenly not a monster. Gates has done some shady stuff in his life, including the link to pedo island.
Absolutely, as I said, I'm not defending the man, just pointing out that regardless of your opinion of him, he has donated an ass-load of money, which begs the question, if it's so easy for him and Buffet, why aren't the others doing it?

I agree, if we are looking at this purely philosophically, but in the context of this thread, the comparison is to his peers in that sphere of wealth, where he and Buffet tend to stand out for their charity work vs the others. No, it's not much of a sacrifice (if at all), but it's still more than others in that space are doing, who are not choosing to undertake the same efforts. So, does that make them worse? I think that's something to ponder in this specific context.

Absolutely, as I said, I'm not defending the man, just pointing out that regardless of your opinion of him, he has donated an ass-load of money, which begs the question, if it's so easy for him and Buffet, why aren't the others doing it?
Remember too that Buffet assumed his wife would outlive him and she’d dabble in charity with the largest pile of cash possible if he kept his head in the game … Gates recognized that did not happen …

Hey - maybe Bezos and Musk busting up the richest competition (and now the Italian/Chinese purse dude) made them rethink the remaining years ? Well, them and divorce lawyers 🧐

That's why I used the example of many people making < $100,000 and donating thousands, year after year to charity. When you get to the scale of millionaires and billionaires, I'm sure you'd agree that money literally generates itself even when you pay others to manage your wealth for you. I can agree that its better to donate something vs nothing, but I'm always coming back to that element of sacrifice.

Yes, agreed. Perhaps some are just less visible in their efforts.

Bill Gates drops a lot of “donations” to charities and foundations that he or his wife owns.
I would say he’s a great money launderer that does a very good job of masquerading himself as a philanthropist.

Buffet did take him under his wings and I see very similar pattern that is established around their characters. Buffet is portrayed as a “down to earth” kinda guy with constant articles showing how he lives a very modest life. Gates is a great philanthropist, giving to all kinds of charities and foundations, driving research etc.

Both are super influential, both politically and economically, and one thing I learned over the years is that one doesn’t become this influential by just giving away money.
Yep, a lot of these people donate money in order to appear like they actually care about humanity when their beliefs and normal practices are far different. A lot of it is for tax purposes as well.

I will try to answer this with my own understanding:

Many of the people, once they reach a certain level of success (financial, social status, political influence, military power, etc), would want to get something more by steering their success into other area, or double down on it to get even more successful.

Some people decided to sell everything and focus on religion, charity, education of the next generation, and have things named after them. Some people double down and create an even bigger empire instead of seeing themselves as rich and can now rest and vest. Some people want to aim higher like going into politics (Donald, Kennedy) or get into the high society (Vanderbilt). Some just want to be an emperor instead of a general (Caesar), or conquer the neighboring nation (Ghangis Khan).

Steve Jobs probably want to aim even higher and Bill just want to be seen as a saint. Jeff Bezos want to go to space and beat Elon to it. Elon wants to do everything but also wants to shag every woman including other billionaires' wives.

I think that sums up the whys.

Back