Cash for Gas

Credit card. Gas rebate one, dedicated so if it is stolen I can file for fraud right away. I have other credit card for dedicated things.

I used to pay cash for gas, but I gave up. Sick and tired of standing in line while grandma buys lottery tickets, cigarettes and beer.
Waiting behind scratch off purchasers is my most hated line waiting situation… they act as if it is picking your last meal on death row. The odds are not in your favor Cletus. Just pick the shiniest one, pay the poor tax, and go.

ExxonMobil has fuel rewards. 3 cents per gallon and promotions periodically for more on holidays and such. That is plenty discount for me. I hate going inside gas stations and dealing with the long line full of lottery players and construction worker buying snacks and drinks.

I always keep emergency cash around but hardly ever use it for myself or bills. If it wasn’t for the kids being in school I’d never need cash more than likely. There is always some last minute $8.47 needed for some trip or project right be before school.

Waiting behind scratch off purchasers is my most hated line waiting situation… they act as if it is picking your last meal on death row. The odds are not in your favor Cletus. Just pick the shiniest one, pay the poor tax, and go.
My closest convenience store is practically ruined by this - more likely to just hit DG anymore … it’s ridiculous …

ExxonMobil has fuel rewards. 3 cents per gallon and promotions periodically for more on holidays and such. That is plenty discount for me. I hate going inside gas stations and dealing with the long line full of lottery players and construction worker buying snacks and drinks.

I always keep emergency cash around but hardly ever use it for myself or bills. If it wasn’t for the kids being in school I’d never need cash more than likely. There is always some last minute $8.47 needed for some trip or project right be before school.
Like using their phone app …

I tried the pre-pay gas cards you can buy at publix. They work at the pump - at least for Exxon, Mobil and BP. I haven't tried the Shell one yet - all the Shell stations here closed.

The only places here that discount for cash are the ones you sign up for their card and link your bank account for direct withdrawal. No thanks.

If you want to fill you have to go in twice to get your change. Anything less than a full fill is inefficient. More stops per year.

I likely could figure it out with My 2019 Toyota. The computer tells me. With my 12 year old truck with no trip computer, even with the trip Odometer reset, its not quite as exacting. So I am either going to be overfilling it and wrecking the charcoal canister, or underfilling by a gallon or so.

So no. I can calculate how to take 3% cash back at the end of the month on my cc, and I am disciplined enough to pay the bill off at the end of the month also, so why waste my time trying to figure out how much gas I need?:unsure:

I tried the pre-pay gas cards you can buy at publix. They work at the pump - at least for Exxon, Mobil and BP. I haven't tried the Shell one yet - all the Shell stations here closed.
I use those sometimes too, usually when the grocery store has a gift card promo (spend $50 get $10 back on your next grocery order). Sometimes the stations around here charge the cash price for gift cards used at the pump but YMMV.

Annoying to have to get rid of the small gift cards or use two gift cards to pay (local grocery for example only sells exxon cards in $25) but worth the hassle if there is a separate promo on purchase (for me).

I use those sometimes too, usually when the grocery store has a gift card promo (spend $50 get $10 back on your next grocery order). Sometimes the stations around here charge the cash price for gift cards used at the pump but YMMV.

Annoying to have to get rid of the small gift cards or use two gift cards to pay (local grocery for example only sells exxon cards in $25) but worth the hassle if there is a separate promo on purchase (for me).
I did a trip across I think 11 states in a couple days, so I didn't want to use my card all the time for fear of it getting flagged, so I used cash. What a PITA.

So I tried the gift cards to see if they would work at the pump and they do. Of course, using multiple is a pain also but here at least they have $25 and $50. If I do another trip like that I will load up on the pre-paid cards. Still easier than cash, IMHO

I look at it differently. We've been grandfathered with PenFed so it's 5% cash back on gas, automatically deducted from the statement, no redemption etc. If not we'd be doing rotating categories which is a PITA. Ever notice multiple rewards cards have the same categories same quarter?

Since I buy at Costco, it's already at least 10-40 cents less (especially on premium), and then another 5% (yesterday $2.87 regular / $3.27 premium).

I heard someone ask Costco if they accept cash and the attendant (NJ) said yes. I thought that was not the case. I've never seen anyone handling cash at Costco gas.

I think that using cash or debit is not the way to go because it leaves money on the table, but that's just me. The 5% matters to me. I guess one assumption is I don't purchase gasoline ever, at a station who charges more for credit.

I look at it differently. We've been grandfathered with PenFed so it's 5% cash back on gas, automatically deducted from the statement, no redemption etc. If not we'd be doing rotating categories which is a PITA. Ever notice multiple rewards cards have the same categories same quarter?
Which card is that?

All these experts here and nobody can calculate how much fuel they need in their tanks? Really ? 🥱
I get within $5. So what?

I would rather fill up and actually calculate my MPG - which often differs from the trip computer.

So, I get to fill up, calculate my MPG, avoid the line, and I’m out of there faster.

Win, win, win.

As far as “Not having a credit card bill at the end of the month”? I have an Exxon card, auto pay - even more convenient than cash. Happens automatically on the 25th of the following month.

For a different station? Well, there is a lot more on my credit card every month than gas, so, that’s not a significant factor for me.

Look, this whole thread reeks of “My way is best! Do what I do!”

And the simple fact is that your way doesn’t work for me. Glad you are enjoying your method, but I am not likely to adopt it.

I use an American Express card that gives me 6% discount at supermarkets and 3% at gasoline stations. So the American Express rebate about equals a 10 cent gas discount on 87 octane in this area, and beats 10 cents on diesel and 93 octane.

Sometimes, my other cards, such as Discover, give me 5% off at gas stations for a calendar quarter.

Yes, the American Express card has an annual fee, but the discounts at the supermarket cover that easily.

I dont pay cash for gas. I purchase a bunch of pre-paid gas cards from the local church. A win win situation as the church gets a rather small amount of the purchase and I dont need to use my credit card. Been hacked way too many times to count at gas stations so this is the best alternative for me.

Which card is that?

It is no longer available to new applicants, but can be grandfathered in from previous PenFed CC.

PenFed Credit Union Platinum Cash Rewards VISA

If you are looking for a new CC with the 5% cashback on gas, I'd recommend the Platinum VISA from ABOUND Credit Union. It deducts the cashback from your outstanding balance on each monthly statement, has no annual fees, and offers 1% cashback on all other categories. The only drawback is that the 5% cashback on gas is limited to $1500 in gas purchases annually.

ABOUND CU Platinum VISA

Last edited:
Which card is that?
hmmmm....I wonder if 5% still does exist? But the terms were shuffled? Because 5% is simply deducted off the statement every month for us. Here, it says the reward is deposited....and this mentions a $25 annual fee? We don't have any fee.

Ah, in the upper right: This offer is no longer available.

Back