Ready Kits for Emergency Use

Does anyone have emergency supplies in your car or home for "just in case"?

I keep a first aid kit in all of my cars. Also tools.

No food or water though, as I'm not far away from civilization. And always have some cash on-hand.

Anyone else?

Flipping through that, it looks like a bugout kit. No, I do not have, but I could toss all that together in 15 minutes, assuming I’m home. But I don’t keep one in the car, due to temperature swings.

I could stand to think about putting first aid kits into the cars though, been a long time since I gave any thought to that.

I think if I lived elsewhere I might be more likely to have one. Disaster can strike anywhere, but my biggest threat IMO is a snowstorm, where hunkering down at home is advised.

I have kept a bug out kit in a knapsack for years. Also both cars have first aid kits and roadside emergency kits. Best to be prepared.

If you mean, first aid kit, no. I'm not a MD so beyond slapping on a band aid, wouldn't know what to do. Better to have a cellphone in the car to call an ambulance. As for food and water, no too. I'm never too far from a supermarket in my area.

Car .... NO, other then keeping it well maintained.
Home .... YES, mostly concerned about heavy snow (3ft +), high wind and power outage.
I do have a list of what to take if I had to evacuate my house and a list of what foods to stock up on (for winter months) in the pantry room.

I drive more than most people and have had my share of issues on the side of the road. What I've needed includes a can of fix a flat, tire plugs, some simple tools to fix a hose, and a zip tie or two.

Car (2021) - I do keep rags, steel wire and cable ties.
Home - extra sump pump (ready for quick exchange), water alarms located under sinks & H.W. tank, and generater.

The problem with stocking up on any foods is they all have a Best By Date / just be aware.
The people who will be hurt the most are the ones who have NOTHING prepared for emergencies.
For me, I have enough inventory to get thru the initial shock, until the stores can restock their shelves (think TP).

I watch the weather reports and react accordingly.

Last edited:
The biggest save was a bluetooth code reader I kept in a VW GTI I once owned.

My wife broke down far from home and was able to use the app on her phone and give me the trouble code. I quickly looked at videos on Youtube and guessed it would be the high pressure fuel pump. So I gathered up tools and bought a HPFP at a dealer. Replacing the pump took 15 minutes.

At home I keep several weeks worth of food and water in case something happens along with 6, 5 gallon gas cans I rotate. Years ago, I had relatives in Indiana that lost electricity for days. If you needed fuel for your vehicle or generator, the gas stations near you lost power, too. Google the 1991 Indiana ice storm.

My wife has type 1 diabetes. It is not type 2 diabetes in which many of those people have it from being overweight.
She needs insulin to keep alive. She keeps a years worth of insulin and blood sugar test strips and a few emergency glucose pens for very low blood sugar.

Firearm? I used to take my daughter on my evening walks and I will never forget when she was seven years old for a while before we left the house for a walk she would whisper in my ear Dad bring the G.U.N. she would spell out gun it was really cute.

Last edited:
If you mean, first aid kit, no. I'm not a MD so beyond slapping on a band aid, wouldn't know what to do. Better to have a cellphone in the car to call an ambulance. As for food and water, no too. I'm never too far from a supermarket in my area.
You do not need MD skills to do very basic, life saving first aid skills such as cpr, bleeding, choking, etc.. The 4 to 10 minutes it takes an ambulance to show up is often too late.

Last edited:
I keep a basic emergency kit in each car. It includes emergency blankets, one use rain ponchos, energy bars, a small first aid kit, a pair of neoprene gloves, jumper cables, a yellow safety vest, a tarp to throw on the ground in case I had to work under the car, butane lighter, pens, and notepad. Oh, and a folding shovel.

I know it could be better. I should have a tire repair kit. And a small compressor.

Everyone should know what to do for first aid. Severe bleeding. Choking. That sort of thing.

Twice in my life, I was first on the scene for a heart attack. Both were in an airport.

They needed CPR and an AED. Eventually, a doctor came along. EMS took a solid 10-15 minutes to arrive.

Giving CPR in that time, in the first five minutes, is the difference between dead, and having a chance.

Standing by and doing nothing, because you don’t know what to do, as you watch someone die, should be a source of shame and guilt for the rest of your life.

Calling on a phone is the same as doing nothing. You must act before “the ambulance” gets there. They will not live long enough for you to wait and do nothing.

Time to sign up for a class.

Back on topic - jump box, cables, tow strap, tools, food, water, blanket, warm clothes.

In the truck. In my Colorado car. In my S class. In my wife’s car.

When I used to drive rural Vermont roads in the wee hours of the morning, and in inclement weather, you could add tire chains and a sleeping bag.

One patch of black ice or bad luck and I would be spending the night in sub zero weather.

You must be prepared for that if you drive in those conditions.

My kids get the “be prepared” thing. They gave me a really nice wool car blanket one year for Christmas. I love it. It’s the one in the S class.

First Aid skills are important and can be learned fairly quickly. First Aid is "first aid". CPR, and how to stop the bleeding, are two of the most important.

The American Red Cross teaches classes on this, and it's not hard to schedule or learn. To be a "certified" babysitter, one needs how to perform CPR on infants and small children.

Being "helpless" because you choose not to learn is your choice.

However, the life you save would rarely be your own (self-initiated Heimlich notwithstanding) and might be someone you love, or care about. The guilt of doing nothing because you chose not to learn might be a lot to bear - but I don't know you so I can't say one way or the other.

Just this past weekend I was talking with a friend of mine who saved two people's lives in the mountains of NC. They got caught in rapid, cold water and coudln't get out. The mom stopped breathing, as did the child. He saved them both.

He was ready, able to help, and willing to help. Maybe you wouldn't be able to do this, I don't know. But being helpless is a bad feeling, I can tell you that from a personal standpoint. I hope it never happens to you.

And most certainly, skills you learn are always with you. You don't have to think about moving them from car to car !

Decades ago, I worked for a company where I serviced homes and had a need to go into their basements. Some of the older folks homes had their basements lined with shelving from floor to ceiling. On those shelves were canned goods with nary an inch to spare. These folks had lived through the Depression and learned some hard lessons as a result. I’m not what some might call a prepper but I am fairly prepared. Just as important as any supplies on hand is the ability to quickly pivot any pre-conceived logistics and tactics as a situation dictates.

These are on my list for my first aid kit. I have the standard tourniquet, but would rather have "newer" designs that are able to self applied.

Also looking at these, but haven't decided yet on the vented versus non-vented. Leaning towards the vented:

The problem with these is it depends on who is there with you.

Obviously, the sucking chest wound is the kiss of death if you don't seal them.

But if the hole is in the back and you are by yourself, a big sheet of plastic to lay on would be better than nothing. But, you have to have the presence of mind to do this, while suffering severe trauma.

Last edited:
Back