Lexus GDI V6 recommendations

i bought a 2024 Lexus ES350 with the V6 2GR-FKS GDI+MPFI motor. i mostly drive about 70% city stop and go traffic. not afraid to redline my car at least once per trip. The car sleeps in a garage so i barely start it at temps below freezing temp. weather here is humid and mild usually. summer times get up to about ~90f with +80% humidity. i drive about 6,000 miles annually and plan on just doing once per year OCI. any recommendations on grade and brand of oil to use? thanks!

PS. manual recommends 0w-20 but i find that a bit thin for a 300hp v6?

Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30. It works great year-round, you can buy it at Autozone with the filter combo. If you don't like the filter, return it, and the oil will cost the same as vanilla Mobil 1.

Secondary choices:
Mobil 1 Euro FS 5W-30
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-30

If you can afford to spend more, I would go with HPL Super Car 0W-30 or HPL NO-VII Euro 5W-30.

I wouldn't go all the way up to a 0W-40 or 5W-40 in that engine. It won't harm anything, but there's just no reason to. A 0W-30, even a thick one, will offer you the best protection and fuel economy.

I use HPL P+ 0w30 in mine. I’ve also used Amsoil SS 0w30.

Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30. It works great year-round, you can buy it at Autozone with the filter combo. If you don't like the filter, return it, and the oil will cost the same as vanilla Mobil 1.

Secondary choices:
Mobil 1 Euro FS 5W-30
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-30

If you can afford to spend more, I would go with HPL Super Car 0W-30 or HPL NO-VII Euro 5W-30.

I wouldn't go all the way up to a 0W-40 or 5W-40 in that engine. It won't harm anything, but there's just no reason to. A 0W-30, even a thick one, will offer you the best protection and fuel economy.
thank you, will take a look at HPL

Multiple threads with this engine and suggestions. Have a search for 2GR-FKS.

Mine currently has been punished for years by multiple short trips with Castrol Magnatec 0w20 only because its the oldest I have on the shelf. Next will probably be a 5w40 because i'm bored.

If you go with HPL, ask them. They are very good at answering questions. They will provide you with a good recommendation based on your driving style, OCI habits, and price range.

I doubt an oil thicker than 0W-20 would be of any benefit in your climate, but if you do want to go thicker, I would just go up one grade to an API SP 5W-30. Euro xW-30 oils are much thicker, and most of them won't have the API SP certification that Toyota requires, which could in theory cause issues with warranty claims.

thank you, will take a look at HPL
The HPL NO-VII Euro 5W-30 has the kinematic viscosity of an energy conserving oil, and the HTHS of 3.5. I use it in one of my vehicles. It's very good, keeps the engine clean, doesn't consume a single drop. The HPL Super Car 0W-30 is actually slightly thicker, believe it or not:

Super Car 0W-30 and NO-VII Euro 5W-30

1710188780736.jpg
1710188792707.jpg

I doubt an oil thicker than 0W-20 would be of any benefit in your climate, but if you do want to go thicker, I would just go up one grade to an API SP 5W-30. Euro xW-30 oils are much thicker, and most of them won't have the API SP certification that Toyota requires, which could in theory cause issues with warranty claims.
This ^^^

Any, and I do mean any, API SP lube would do fine. The 2GR series is very easy-going on oil. It does not need anything super special.

If you tend towards synthetics, that's fine. The engine won't care which brand/grade you choose, so pick what you can find on sale.

If you're going to extend your OCIs, then pick a lube that's suited for that (HPL; Amsoil; M1 EP; etc).

Mobil1 5w20 EP : The wife’s 10 year old Lexus ES 350 ( 91,000 miles, 95% short tripping ) has never had a bolt turned on it except for oil changes and tires.

thanks all i decided to go with Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 which was the cheapest and has the API SP seal lexus requires.

Any, and I do mean any, API SP lube would do fine. The 2GR series is very easy-going on oil. It does not need anything super special.

If you tend towards synthetics, that's fine. The engine won't care which brand/grade you choose, so pick what you can find on sale.

If you're going to extend your OCIs, then pick a lube that's suited for that (HPL; Amsoil; M1 EP; etc).
I have heard of fuel dilution on these engines because of direct injection. and carbon build up from evaporation. i want to just do the oil change and never check the levels again until next service.

What does 300hp and 0w20 have to do with anything?
higher power means more heat, more dilution from higher fuel flow, and higher peak temperatures. therefore more evaporation and breakdown of oil specially under load in stop and go traffic hauling 4,000lbs of weight.

I have heard of fuel dilution on these engines because of direct injection. and carbon build up from evaporation. i want to just do the oil change and never check the levels again until next service.
If you want to minimize IVDs, install a high quality oil catch can. That will save you a lot of head aches in the long run. Just keep an eye on it.

The only reason why I recommended Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 over 5W-30 was because of your climate. The 0W-30 doesn't have the API seal, because Mobil didn't bother licensing it for some reason, but it still complies with API engine testing requirements:

1710200373435.jpg

thanks all i decided to go with Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 which was the cheapest and has the API SP seal lexus requires.

higher power means more heat, more dilution from higher fuel flow, and higher peak temperatures. therefore more evaporation and breakdown of oil specially under load in stop and go traffic hauling 4,000lbs of weight.
😵‍💫🤯

You are making a lot of assumptions.
2GR-FKS is not too demanding on oil for a GDI engine. It has dual injection system, Di and indirect to keep IVD away. So, from that point, no worries about IVD.
It is a Toyota engine; it is a so-called "cold" engine and doesn't come close to comparable Euro engines when it comes to heat retention. It is very good engine unless someone has emphasis for performance side, then, there is much to wish for.
So, going ESP in that engine is overkill. Toyota recommended C3 oils for that engine in Europe, so you can use ESP with confidence.
I find it, though, surprising to be cheaper than Motomaster Euro 0W30, which is repackaged Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX.
As for API SP, that is absolutely irrelevant if oil is approved for MB229.51, etc., as those are far more stringent specifications.

If you want to minimize IVDs, install a high quality oil catch can. That will save you a lot of head aches in the long run. Just keep an eye on it.

The only reason why I recommended Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 over 5W-30 was because of your climate. The 0W-30 doesn't have the API seal, because Mobil didn't bother licensing it for some reason, but it still complies with API engine testing requirements:

View attachment 207891
2GR-FKS has dual injection.

Back