An American Dentist Killed Zimbabwe’s Famous Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Some idiot posted this on Imgur in hopes to make Donald Trump's sons look bad. It was shot down pretty quick. I suggest reading on story about it too that was linked in the comments.

http://imgur.com/gallery/Tqwzd

Reading the comments, this stuff definitely enrages people. Wish people would get that worked up over other messed up stuff going on in the world.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Has it been established that the dentist KNEW he had illegally taken the Lion at the time he shot it? It is possible he did not know what the guide was doing. Are Elephants on the endangered list in the country they were in or is it legal to take one there? If that country allows it then he did nothing wrong asking if he could harvest one. At least in the case of the Elephant most certainly the meat would have gone to local people and would be a big help to them.

He is an experienced big game hunter. This was not his first hunting trip to Africa, he knew the farm is next to protected reserve, he was on the truck with dead animal to bait the lion from the reserve. He also illegally killed a bear in Wisconsin, lied about it and found guilty with 1 year probation.

If he didn't know and he is a good hunter, he and his guide should reported to authority about the accident killing of the lion, be he went ahead cut off the head, skin the dead lion and tried to destroy the GPS collar to hide to illegal hunt, and immediately looking to kill a large elephant to harvest the tusks.

I'm not against legal trophy hunter, but luring a protected lion from reserve to kill it is what almost everybody is upsetting.

I know about the bear incident and while it doesn't help him it doesn't mean he did the same thing with the Lion. That is an assumption on your part. It is just as possible that he learned from that experience and decided to go straight as it is he repeated the crime. I have not seen anything yet( and I may well have missed it )that shows definitively this was a purposeful violation.

I am an experienced North American waterfowl hunter but I don't know every area( re: refuges, private land, public land, etc... ). I could get a map and hope I stay on open ground but most likely I would hire a guide and expect them to know where it is legal to hunt or not when I am outside my own area. Being an experienced big game hunter who has been to Africa before means squat( Africa is HUGE )unless he has hunted that exact area prior and knew it was next to a preserve. Even then he had to know they were near it at the time and I consider it reasonable to say he didn't realize it. I have hunted out of state areas a few times and it takes many, many, trips to the exact same spot to learn the lay of the land. Those trips need to be close together as well because the environment changes constantly.

You claim he knew the Lion was on the preserve prior to luring it out and shooting it but I have not seen that reported as fact. Just speculation( again I might have missed it ). Do you have a link showing prior knowledge or is it just opinion/speculation?

The dentist being on the truck dragging a carcass to lure in a Lion is not a crime. It is only a crime if it was done to lure the Lion out of the preserve. Otherwise it is just a baiting tactic. Show me he knew that is what they were doing, while doing it and not later, and it changes my view of the whole thing.

While I understand your view on reporting accidental kills to the authorities, I have to wonder if you have any clue as to the consequences of doing that? The hunter would face massive fines or maybe even jail( I don't know the punishments in the country he was in )as would the guide who would also most likely lose their guiding license and all the company equipment and such. Over an "accident" it is too much.

Just because they cut the head off and tried to hide the GPS doesn't mean they knew the Lion was on a preserve at the outset. It is possible, and reasonable to assume, when they found the Lion and saw the collar they panicked and tried to cover it up THEN. I don't defend that act either so don't jump down my throat. I understand it though after seeing how trying to be honest about a hunting accident can get you in a ton of trouble.

Friend accidentally shot 3 Black ducks with one shot. Limit is one with 2 in possession. Just as he pulled the trigger something spooked the small flock decoying in and as they flared up to escape they sort of balled up and 3 birds fell at the shot. Now, the rest of us all had our Black ducks at the time so we couldn't take them for him( actually not legal btw but I would do it to save the bird and save an honest person getting in trouble )so he only had 2 choices really. He could hide the 2 extra in the grass and leave or keep them and risk getting in trouble. He chose to keep them and not waste them.

The wardens were at the ramp when we got back checking people coming in from hunting. My friend didn't even wait to get checked. He walked up to one of them and explained what happened. The guy had no previous game violations and a completely clean criminal record. Not even a vehicle ticket. He was hammered! He received multiple citations, for an ungodly amount of money, and even had his shotgun seized( never got it back ). He had his license suspended for a year as I recall too.

It was 100% an accident that could happen to any bird hunter. We all explained the situation and as said he went right up and owned it. No benefit of the doubt or leniency. Just slammed the poor guy. So was it worth it for him to do what he did? I would say morally yes but in reality no. It doesn't pay to be honest in a situation like that. All it means is you voluntarily confessed to something and you will get creamed over it. I would not admit to any crime if I were out of this country and most definitely not in Africa or the Middle East.

Again, I don't know the whole story here and I don't think anyone really does yet. I think some are leaping to conclusions and I simply want to see all the facts 1st as I usually do. IF he knew what the guide was doing and purposely lured the Lion out to shoot it then he should be nailed over it. If he didn't know and just panicked when he tried to hide the collar I can sort of understand why.

JMHO and my
49.gif

^^^ Everybody hates something. Way of the world ... period.
grin.gif

Appreciated your post NHHemi. I've found many of the statements made about what happened aren't found in news sources, but are simply assumptions and rash conclusions. It's entirely possible that everything he did was SOP (and legal) for a Zimbabwe lion hunt. Hopefully the truth will come out and we'll know what actually happened (and whether the actions were legal or not).

There may be a lot of people that hate trophy hunters and some that hate all hunters and all hunting. But as long as it's legal, simple hatred does not excuse behavior calling for torture and capitol punishment of hunters.

Originally Posted By: Brian Barnhart
simple hatred does not excuse behavior calling for torture and capitol punishment of hunters.

People can have any opinion they want.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
simple hatred does not excuse behavior calling for torture and capitol punishment of hunters.

People can have any opinion they want.

Correct, no matter how stupid, demented or ridiculous it may be.

Saying big game hunting in Africa should be banned would be an opinion.

Saying hunters are a menace to a modern society would be an opinion.

Saying the dentist should be executed if found guilty would be an opinion.

Calling for someone who is involved in something you disagree with to be killed without a trial and conviction, and offering to participate in such, goes well beyond having an opinion.

Calling for someone who is involved in something you disagree with to be killed without a trial and conviction, and offering to participate in such, goes well beyond having an opinion.

I don't know. They may want to get him back there and charge money to attend or participate in some sort of punishment of this guy. It'd provide a good revenue stream. A good conservative can understand that. Free Enterprise.

I do think some countries shoot poachers on sight. Maybe they could charge a fee for moonbats that want to do the job.

Last edited:
I read an article and from what it said the locals know about the lion hunts and couldn't care less. The sheeple are the ones making a huge deal of this.
Again it's typical. Population of the west sticking their nose where it doesn't belong making a huge deal of behaviours on foreign soil.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I read an article and from what it said the locals know about the lion hunts and couldn't care less. The sheeple are the ones making a huge deal of this.
Again it's typical. Population of the west sticking their nose where it doesn't belong making a huge deal of behaviours on foreign soil.

It's actually part of the wider "education" programme that the "peace loving" loving side of politics is using to get their foot in the door over their desired outcomes.

Don't like hunting/fishing in general, then lets grab a demon, foment public outrage, and we'll have a few more haters for the cause.

Problem is that the haters don't want to wake up and find out that it's someone else' opinion that they are spewing.

As evedinced by an Oz cricketer, who was the face of breast cancer until he went hunting.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3641474/all/Agendas,_when_it_comes_to_disc

Originally Posted By: Kruse

Why is the press fixated on telling the world that this guy is a dentist? If he was an auto technician or a salesman, would that be in all the headlines?
Oh wait. Because most people think that dentists are wealthy, the press can get more sympathy with their story. Now it's clear.

It's for the same reason the gender of the lion keeps being mentiond, for example in the OP's post:

[quoteWhat do you think about killing a beautiful male lion ?][/quote]

People wonder about details because is the details that lend a story more interest and context. So it's natural that the lions gender and his slayer's profession is mentioned in th press anbd by people talking about the incident. My dentist always says to me "This won't hurt a bit" when he is about to stick me with a needle. I wonder if he anesthetized the lion before he drilled him.

23 pages about Bambi the lion king Of all the things to get worked up into a tizzy about. What a world.

Originally Posted By: CT8
23 pages about Bambi the lion king Of all the things to get worked up into a tizzy about. What a world.

yet you forget where you are, where there are much longer threads in meaningless debates over molecular makeup of motor oil labelled "synthetic" versus "conventional".

Originally Posted By: CT8

The lion and its fate is merely a symbol for what's wrong with this world.

There is a huge difference between hunting for food and hunting for sport. People that kill any kind of animal for "FUN" are sick minded psychopaths.

I don't worry for an instant that justice will be done in the end. I have faith that this tiny [censored] dentist who loves to kill animals will ultimately pay for all the pain and suffering he has committed.

Rather than start a new thread on this I am going to add it here. While this isn't about the dentist, or even how Cecil was shot, it IS relevant as it took place in the same refuge and it shows just how dangerous Lions are. I hope this adds some perspective to some folks views here( in general ). Although I bet the animal rights groups will applaud this Lion killing the man as some kind of payback for Cecil's death.

All these people talking about the poor Lion( media and in this thread )seem clueless about how dangerous they really are. It truly is the Bambi syndrome. The way they talked about Cecil the Lion made him sound like some kind of tame house cat, or they put him up on some pedestal of animal nobility, and it is just ridiculous.

A photography tour guide was mauled and killed by a Lion in the same refuge Cecil was from. This could have been Cecil himself in other circumstances. Lions are not cute, cuddly, kittens nor are the noble, royal, animals. They are vicious predators who will kill anyone or anything with no provocation and at the drop of a hat. So while people can be upset at Cecil's death let's keep some perspective on just what Cecil was. People that live around Lions know. The rest of the world seems clueless.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/25/africa/zimbabwe-safari-guide-killed-by-lion/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back