Tire recommendations For Honda Accord V6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Appreciate all the input guys! What do you think about the Conti Control Contact Sport A/S? They seem to get good reviews on other sites and I like the "meaty" look they have vs other tires. Still reading about a lot of other tires....

Originally Posted By: NO2
It depends where you live in Colorado. If you just drive in metro Denver or the Springs in well cleared areas, you could get by with all seasons only. If you travel in the mountains snow tires are a necessity.

I have an 07 accord V6 and have been very happy with the Michelin Primacy A/S. They wearing very well and have excellent traction in dry and wet conditions and good in slush and light snow. Ice is not great but better than other tires I have had including Goodyear triple tread, Michelin Premier & Pilots and several Continentals. I'd also consider the Michelin Xice3 for winter conditions.

The tread starts at 8/32 but does not need to be replaced as quickly because the grooves for rain expand as the tire wears. I saw about a 1.5 MPG decrease in mileage with these tires. They are by far the best tires I have owned even with the MPG penalty - excellent handling, low noise, and very surefooted on everything but ice. These tires will continue to brake and handle well even when worn.

Other good choices are the Pirelli Cintuarto P7 all season plus , which is better on ice, and is supposed to have longer tread life, and the Continental PureContact with EcoPlus (cheaper but worse tread life).

All come in 225/17 V rated. If you are unhappy with Michelin I would definitely get the P7's.

Yep he can get "by." That is why rest of us need 2-3hrs during snow storm to make 5 mile trip home, driving behind people who can get "by." But hey, they never get stuck, though they cannot stop too. Colorado Springs changes altitude from 6052ft in downtown, to some parts that are above 7000ft in few miles, so go figure how that works when it is snowing with All Seasons. Denver is bit flatter, but also mess during snow, because people can get "by."

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
Appreciate all the input guys! What do you think about the Conti Control Contact Sport A/S? They seem to get good reviews on other sites and I like the "meaty" look they have vs other tires. Still reading about a lot of other tires....

Look does not matter. Compound matters in winter. What is made from, that is what matters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: NO2
It depends where you live in Colorado. If you just drive in metro Denver or the Springs in well cleared areas, you could get by with all seasons only. If you travel in the mountains snow tires are a necessity.

I have an 07 accord V6 and have been very happy with the Michelin Primacy A/S. They wearing very well and have excellent traction in dry and wet conditions and good in slush and light snow. Ice is not great but better than other tires I have had including Goodyear triple tread, Michelin Premier & Pilots and several Continentals. I'd also consider the Michelin Xice3 for winter conditions.

The tread starts at 8/32 but does not need to be replaced as quickly because the grooves for rain expand as the tire wears. I saw about a 1.5 MPG decrease in mileage with these tires. They are by far the best tires I have owned even with the MPG penalty - excellent handling, low noise, and very surefooted on everything but ice. These tires will continue to brake and handle well even when worn.

Other good choices are the Pirelli Cintuarto P7 all season plus , which is better on ice, and is supposed to have longer tread life, and the Continental PureContact with EcoPlus (cheaper but worse tread life).

All come in 225/17 V rated. If you are unhappy with Michelin I would definitely get the P7's.

Yep he can get "by." That is why rest of us need 2-3hrs during snow storm to make 5 mile trip home, driving behind people who can get "by." But hey, they never get stuck, though they cannot stop too. Colorado Springs changes altitude from 6052ft in downtown, to some parts that are above 7000ft in few miles, so go figure how that works when it is snowing with All Seasons. Denver is bit flatter, but also mess during snow, because people can get "by."
On any given stretch of highway in bad weather the speed of travel is determined by the worst equipment on the road at the time.

Last edited:

A possibility, since ice traction is the worst-case, get your Conti Control's siped at Discount Tire. They did it for me a while back, helps with ice grip slightly. It allows you to use an all-season tire with more confidence on ice. Snow traction is more a function of tread thickness.
I now just use Micheline Xice3 year around since they have a very high speed rating and enough grip when hot/dry. The siping of a good all-season tire is a good choice though.

Also, the Conti DWS looks like a great all-around tire, according to a TireRack.com comparo:
2pIzKpB.jpg

The Conti DWS tread pattern would be a good candidate for siping, since Discount Tire makes lateral cuts, & this tire's pattern doesn't already have a lot of lateral sipes.
co_extcondws06_pdptrd.jpg

So you think that tire designers have no clue how to "sipe" tires and running studless winter tires all year round is good idea.

Good luck!

Krzys

Originally Posted By: krzyss
So you think that tire designers have no clue how to "sipe" tires and running studless winter tires all year round is good idea.Good luck!Krzys

You're not getting the point. Most of us know every tire engineering decision is a compromise between hot/dry/wet/snow/ice performance. Siping will simply tilt the performance in favor of better ice traction at little expense to other areas.

As for running winter tires year around, Michelin Xice3 works quite well in the dry, a somewhat unique tread compound developed by Michelin, while most other winter tires are too reduced in performance in the dry in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
In my experience, DWS is just marginal in snow/winter. Supposedly the new DWS 06 is an improvement though.

+1, The P7's are better in winter conditions over DWS. Remember DWS is in the ultra-high peformance all-season category where winter traction is marginal to poor typically and DWS is simply adequate winter traction which is better then the rest.

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
So you think that tire designers have no clue how to "sipe" tires and running studless winter tires all year round is good idea.Good luck!Krzys

You're not getting the point. Most of us know every tire engineering decision is a compromise between hot/dry/wet/snow/ice performance. Siping will simply tilt the performance in favor of better ice traction at little expense to other areas.

As for running winter tires year around, Michelin Xice3 works quite well in the dry, a somewhat unique tread compound developed by Michelin, while most other winter tires are too reduced in performance in the dry in my opinion.

Michelin was always average winter tire, precisely bcs they focus on dry performance too much. It is not only harder compound, but very dense tread patter. That allows Xi3 better stability in dry, as well as good ice performance considering compound and density of tread pattern.
However, they suck in slush and deep snow. In packed snow they are OK, but as winter tire, I think they are OK for East coast, but mountains? There are much better choices. There is no manufacturer that changed more winter tires models then Michelin. I think they have new model every year in Europe, and that tells a lot.
Still, that tire will be soft in summer, regardless Michelin's attempt to make it better in dry. On 80 degree they will be just another winter tire in warm weather: bad.
So if OP wants to get "by" and have good tire in summer, probably DWS 06 is best option.
50+K tire and some kind of winter traction is just wishful thinking.
As you know we are getting big storm in next few days, and problems are again going to be cause by people who can get "by."

Last edited:
I still think you need 2 sets of tires.

If you try to get a summer tire that's really "good on ice/snow" it may not be that great for summer performance. And "good on ice/snow" is a relative thing. They will be no-where near as good as average winter tires.

And if you get winter tires that are okay for year 'round use ... well you get the picture.

Even with 2 sets of tires, compromises are required. For a start my compromise for summer tires is high performance all season radials instead of high performance summer radials. And I bought ones that have some capability on ice/snow (because we can get unexpected snow and I once tried to drive a short distance on snow with high performance summer radials and now know better). Good handling in wet, quiet, good tread life and good fuel economy are desirable.

My requirement for winter tires is pretty good on bare pavement because that's mostly what I drive on, even in winter. In Edmonton snow is the big problem but on Vancouver Island ice will be the bigger consideration. But I was willing to accept a bit noisy and low tread life (because they'll time out anyway).

On the Tire-Rack website you can compare potential tires and decide on your own compromises. But no tire does it all.

Every tire is a compromise but only dedicated snow tires will have acceptable traction in icy conditions. The downside of all winter tires is inferior traction in dry and wet conditions. If you encounter ice even semi-frequently where you live you should have dedicated winter tires and a set of all seasons (not summer tires) with acceptable snow traction. That way if you get an early snow you will still be able to drive safely.

How are all weather tires from Nokian, Hankook, Vredestein different from performance winters from other vendors?

Krzyś

How are all weather tires from Nokian, Hankook, Vredestein different from performance winters from other vendors?

Krzyś

In my opinion, performance winter will do much better then all weather. I would say based on Nokian's experience with winter compounds, of all tires that are all weather, Nokian is probably best.

Krzyś

The Nokian WRG3 essentially 'is' a high-performance winter tire, maybe UHP winter in lower-profile V-rated sizes. Then they add some of that Hakka warrior magic to gain some treadlife so it can be marketed as a year-round tire and given a 55K miles warranty.

My set worked great the one time they dealt with snow this winter. They handle dry pavement pretty well; the test will be in the summer heat. They are loud at speed and won't make 55K miles. I had wanted a set of WRG3 for years and thought I finally bought magic rubber this time. Nah; a good tire, a good compromise, adds some comfort level to driving in winter (of which we've had almost none this year) but also expensive, hard to balance and on the loud side.

No free lunch in tire-world.

Well my 2 to 3/32" tread Pilots still got me home early this morning before plows were out. I kid you not, I was going through 2-3 foot deep drifts every 20 feet for nearly 20 miles and never got stuck or slid. I passed many trucks, SUV's and cars stuck or off the road in a ditch.
My Honda Accord just does really good in the snow. I have no idea how my worn out tires still grip the road so well. Maybe I will stick with Michelin.

Last edited:
Well my 2 to 3/32" tread Pilots still got me home early this morning before plows were out. I kid you not, I was going through 2-3 foot deep drifts every 20 feet for nearly 20 miles and never got stuck or slid. I passed many trucks, SUV's and cars stuck or off the road in a ditch.
My Honda Accord just does really good in the snow. I have no idea how my worn out tires still grip the road so well. Maybe I will stick with Michelin.

You think worn out tires work great in the snow??? I can't imagine how impressed you would be with dedicated winter tires! Get a grip.

Come on, even being from CA I know a [censored] snow driving claim, when I read one.
Your front bumper should be cracked to [censored] and/or missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back