Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 Plus

I'm looking for tires to replace the old Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires on my 2016 Mustang GT. The Michelins work very well from a performance standpoint, but developed a rumble after only a few thousand miles. I've lived with the noise for a few years, but now that the tread is down to around 3/32, I'm ready to replace them.

Does anyone here have experience with the Conti Extreme Contact DWS 06+ tires? They seem to be a favorite of Tire Rack and their customers, and are said to be among the smoothest and quietest in the Ultra High Performance All Season class. I have read a few comments on the Internet about balancing and other issues, but I always take those with a grain of salt.

I care nothing about winter performance down here in North Texas. And I'd be looking at summer tires if not for the dire warnings about even storing them at temperatures below 40 degrees F. Seems like the industry needs something between "summer only" and all season. Tires that don't fall apart in sub 40 degree weather, but makes no claims about working in snow.

I'm looking for tires to replace the old Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires on my 2016 Mustang GT. The Michelins work very well from a performance standpoint, but developed a rumble after only a few thousand miles. I've lived with the noise for a few years, but now that the tread is down to around 3/32, I'm ready to replace them.

Does anyone here have experience with the Conti Extreme Contact DWS 06+ tires? They seem to be a favorite of Tire Rack and their customers, and are said to be among the smoothest and quietest in the Ultra High Performance All Season class. I have read a few comments on the Internet about balancing and other issues, but I always take those with a grain of salt.

I care nothing about winter performance down here in North Texas. And I'd be looking at summer tires if not for the dire warnings about even storing them at temperatures below 40 degrees F. Seems like the industry needs something between "summer only" and all season. Tires that don't fall apart in sub 40 degree weather, but makes no claims about working in snow.
They are v. good, we run them on one of our VWs. I know lots of folks that swear by them where a winter tire isn't needed. Great all-arounder, decent winter performance for an AS tire. The below 40 thing is WAY overblown. I'd say below freezing...ok start to think about it....40? Hold my beer. I like the Michelin PS4 all seasons personally, run them on two of our VWs. I'd run the Contis in a heartbeat and honestly, if you can't drive hard on these on public roads, you have a driver issue.

Last edited:

I went from A/S 3+ to the DWS 06+. Compared to the A/S 3+ the DWS give me more confidence in the rain, has a slightly softer ride, a little slower turn in response and a little more noise on highway.

Last edited:
We bought a time warp Porsche 993 ~two years ago that had a newer set of the DWS, odd as the car was from New Orleans, but the dealer said some folks like them in heavy rain. I never drove the car in snow but did drive in some good rain and cooler weather and the tires were great. Certainly, fun enough in good weather, great in rain and not noisy. I replaced them with dedicated Summer tires though.

The Porsche indy we use raves about these tires, calling them the best do-everything tire out there.

They are excellent on my Mini but it's a light vehicle at 2,600 pounds. I had the original DWS06 on my 3 series for one season. That car was heavier at 3,700 pounds and the Conti felt a bit squishy in sharp curves. Maybe they have improved sidewall stiffness in the Plus version? Grip, road-holding, and braking - wet and dry, are impeccable. Noise is hard to gauge because my car has a ragtop.

They are excellent on my Mini but it's a light vehicle at 2,600 pounds. I had the original DWS06 on my 3 series for one season and that car was heavier at 3,700 pounds and the Conti felt a bit squishy in curves. Maybe they have improved sidewall stiffness in the Plus version?
This is a common complaint; softer but they should be better in the snow/rain than the Michelins I think which are on the stiff side for an all season.

I have them on my Spider, I've only put about 5000 miles on them but so far they've been great. No balance issues, they are smooth and vibration free well past 80 mph.... great traction on dry pavement and solid on wet pavement as well. I'm very happy with them. So far they feel every bit as good as the summer Yokohamas they replaced.

ONLY max performance tires, generally 100wt (racing/track) or 200wt (track) are problematic when it comes to storing and driving 24hrs after being exposed to very low temperatures.
You basically need to allow tire to go back naturally to its properties.
Summer tires, performance like Micheling PS4S etc. are fine storing. I store my Yokohama Advan V601 that I track in a shed outside.

That being said, if you want all year around tire, Michelin Pilot AS4 or DWS06+ are best bet. Unlike your Pilot AS3+, mine on Tiguan are super quiet going 4th year.

I have DWS06+ on BMW for May-November and they are excellent. However, they are bit softer and not having steering feedback on par Michelin. I run 39/41psi to compensate. They are EXCELLENT in rain. Hydroplaning resistance is excellent, but braking and handling traction in rain is impressive.

This is a common complaint; softer but they should be better in the snow/rain than the Michelins I think which are on the stiff side for an all season.
I did drive in a little snow and slush in early January with the Plus version. No problems but while they are nothing like snow tires they do far better than summer tires in the cold and slush and a little snow. The squishiness should decrease the lighter the vehicle is.

The original DSW06 was the first A?S tire I found to have performance approaching that of a good summer tire. Although I ended up getting rid of the tires I went back to trying them on the Mini and I find them a good year-round solution for my area and my kind of driving. The OEM Bridgestone Driveguard RFs A/S tires were incredible with true go-kart handling. but they were too harsh for the local roads.

Last edited:
That being said, if you want all year around tire, Michelin Pilot AS4 or DWS06+ are best bet. Unlike your Pilot AS3+, mine on Tiguan are super quiet going 4th year.
So your Tiguan has A/S 3 +?

I put a set on my SL550. I was very happy with their grip and handling. But I only used them on dry or wet roads. Never on snow or ice.

I have them on a 2015 GT. when new i think like most any tire they were squirmy feeling.
I would use again in a heartbeat , i don't think you would be disappointed in them !

Last edited:
I've had a set on my Civic Touring Sedan since new (Replaced the factory Goodyears before delivery)
100% satisfied, absolutely wonderful in the wet, very decent in the snow we've had so far. Handling is very predictable, noise is (at 7000 miles) almost non-existent and ride comfort on any decent pavement is excellent. At this point, wouldn't consider anything else. My Honda Master-Certified Technician runs them on his Civic Sport Sedan, he has a lot of choices, but he reccomends them highly, I listened and am very satisfied.

I've had a set on my Civic Touring Sedan since new (Replaced the factory Goodyears before delivery)
100% satisfied, absolutely wonderful in the wet, very decent in the snow we've had so far. Handling is very predictable, noise is (at 7000 miles) almost non-existent and ride comfort on any decent pavement is excellent. At this point, wouldn't consider anything else. My Honda Master-Certified Technician runs them on his Civic Sport Sedan, he has a lot of choices, but he reccomends them highly, I listened and am very satisfied.
Just to reiterate this.
They are extremely comfortable tires. They are more comfortable in 225/40R18 than Yokohama 225/45 R17 I use on track.

I had them on my MX-5 as well as on my Taurus (sold). I will continue to get them as I need tires unless something better may come along. They are a fantastic UHP all-season tire. Ride well; reasonably quiet; excellent performance in all seasons; decent wear. Given that I had them on a very light car, as well as a very heavy car, and yet they did well in both situations, tells me their design is very well sorted and applicable over a wide range of vehicles.

There was a Tyre Review done with these vs. the ECSports; check it out (from about 2 years ago maybe?).

That's basically what UHP all-season tires are :sneaky:

I've had two or three sets of DWS⁰⁶ and DWS⁰⁶plus

When bought on a good rebate, they're an excellent value IMO

Excellent in the rain, more than enough dry summer grip for me in the Camry
And today's ~3 inches of slushy snow didn't cause an issue

Back