Top All-Season Tires? Michelin or Comparable?

Yes, I would. How slow do you want to drive in rain? 5mph? 10mph instead of 50? The number I gave you is the difference at 50mph.
Generally, tires are cheaper than medical bills, or injury. I don't get how people can put price on life or being injured.
Agreed. Also OP didn't indicate any price sensitivity, they want the "Top all season tires".

You say wet is most important performance variable?
Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 or Continental TerrainContact HT.
Run away from BF Goodrich in that case.
This, this, and this.

We’ve been through this here. I find the Michelin and continentals very close in rain and *cold/dry* snow, and BFG completely out of the running in comparison.

I’ll also plug the continental AT as more respectable than it should be in the cold and wet. I have them on my truck, and my son has a fresh pair of LTX M&S. The LTX gets a slight edge here. The continental AT has a slightly sturdier feel to them, though they are a barely an AT, and I prefer the slightly sturdier ride (at a sacrifice of a little comfort).

That said, per the OP’s use case in the first post, I agree 100% with @edyvw.

The Michelin Defender LTX M/S has been top rated by Consumer Reports for years and went through three sets on my Tundra, but the current top rated is the ContinentalTerrainContact H/T Had them for a couple years now, and they have been very good, and wearing well. Good in wet and dry, and decent in light snow.
Michelin has new tire out that replaced LTX M/S. It is Defender LTX M/S2. It probably will be a bit better than H/T.
One thing about new Defender is weight. It is really light for that category, which indicates more sophisticated materials. I am looking for spring between M/S2 and H/T, and the difference per tire in 265/60 R18 is 34 lbs for M/S2 and 38 lbs for H/T.

Ive put about 35k miles on Psas4s, 60k on LX25s, and 30k on CC2s. I think the LX25s are best, given your post.
The PSAS4’s are only warranted for 40k and I believe they even throw in the staggered disclaimer, so this implies a performance nature. I noticed the Defender LTX is 70k, while the Premier LTX 60k. We used the warranty on the first Premiers as they were shot at 43k. Now we used the road hazard on a screw in the Premier (first two times ever since I began to drive).

Part of why I am reluctant to put the snows on with no snow, is the odometer will be inaccurate for the wear in the psas4’s. Since it’s so easy to deal with Costco, why not get credit if tires wear out prematurely….

That said, per the OP’s use case in the first post, I agree 100% with @edyvw.
OP's first and only post, with regular contributors adding 3 pages of contributions in true BITOG fashion :unsure: 😁.

I prefer to do a lot of research based on my needs/wants. I try to give options for others that have different priorities. My "best" and and others "best" maybe in totally different places.

Driving slower due to worry about wet grip or there may be more of a safety hazard in some places I travel from others flying and swerving last minute. Wet grip might be worse than many but I'd rather see someone on cheaper off name versions they can afford than keep the bald ones they have because they can't afford more expensive ones. At least there is a chance with full tread and sipes.

I've gone through the paralysis by analysis weigh too many times. Sometimes still toss a dart at the board or shake the magic 8 ball and see what I should get.

I just bought a used matching winter tire from Ebay to replace the screw through sidewall flat. Has same tread depth if not slightly more, no flat repairs, free shipping, good reviews from seller. $70 "should" get me through winter '24>'25 and then get replaced after that with all 4 at about 6/32" unless rubber gets too hard and traction suffers prior.

If you can swing it Michelin or Continental highway all seasons rate pretty high.

Coopers or Generals will get the job done for a little less.

Happy so far with new Michlin X LT A/S tires from Costco on Highlander. No snow.

They look good. I know @Astro14 is running them as far as I remember. But, only $10 cheaper per tire compared to new M/S2.
I am running them on the Tundra - and been very happy with performance in all weather, including sleet/snow and they're a quiet, smooth tire as well.

With 30,000 miles on them, I can see very little treadwear. I think they have 9 or 10/32" left after that life, which suggests a life of 80,000 miles or so.

Hi…I’m new here. I have an ‘02 Jeep Liberty Ltd 3.7L 4x4 that needs new tires. I have had my heart set on Michelins for years, but cost was initially a factor. Now, after doing some research, I’m not totally convinced that, as much as I hold their ratings in high esteem, that they would necessarily be the “best” tires for my vehicle; let alone which type/model to choose. I’ve been searching tires via the UTQG ratings. They don’t always sync across tire sites/rating sites, but are relatively close. I’ve been shown Continental CrossContact LX25, Cooper, Michelin (few in my size), BFGoodrich, Yokohama Geolander, etc.

The most important aspects for me are wet, dry, snow traction/stopping, handling, noise, fuel economy, wear, etc.

I bought the Jeep in 2009 and it came with new Pirelli Scorpions.
Thanks everyone.

Back